Do you envy the successful guy?

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
A time to be brutally honest fella's.

Speaking personally, as a younger guy back in the late fifties ''I did''. Looking at the catches made by anglers of my acquaintance and press reports, followed by a lot of soul searching.

All this changed dramatically in the early sixties with an introduction to specimen groups. By 1963 I was a member of several of these, and began to rub shoulders with a number of highly successful anglers. Some of who became close friends, and lifted the veil of mystery that I perceived as their secret. Surprise, surprise there really is no secret, other than the waters they chose to fish. Invariably their council was, if you find a water that contains the fish you're looking for, keep your cards close to your chest. And learn as much about the water as you can.

I believe this to be as valid today as it was back then, with the exception that waters today are far more heavily pressured by legitimate methods or otherwise, and there's the rub.

I have often claimed with hand on heart that the only competition that exists in my angling world is between me and the fish. Not other anglers, though this now seems to be a given.

rich66

Reaction score
In my youth yes, I was always chasing the bigger fish, but as my choice of venues was limited to how far I could cycle I never caught the big ones that I craved for. Now I've started fishing again I'm not so bothered a fish is a fish, I'd rather go and catch something rather than sit all day and blank. I still enjoy the larger fish but if they come along that's a bonus. Had a few PB's the last couple of seasons with this approach, modest as they are they meant a lot to me.

thecrow

Reaction score
For many years I was a bailiff on a water just down the road from where I lived, this was in the days before mobile phones and their cameras and often I would get a knock on the door and a request to take a photograph of a fish, sometimes the fish were not big by national standards but to the angler it was, often though the knock was to photograph a fish that was big by that waters standards.

I enjoyed doing this and felt rather privileged that these anglers trusted me to keep things quiet and it gave me the chance to see plenty of good fish on the bank that I might not have otherwise seen.

I cant say that I was ever envious of the angler as most if not all of the knocks were from a friend, I was pleased for them as I knew the effort that had gone in to the capture, one fish out of them all though did trouble my sleep for a while, it was a very large Zander that a lifelong friend had caught, he had spent many many nights after Zander and I remember after the fish went back both of us dancing along the bank and laughing like idiots.

Envious? no just pleased to have been there to see the fish :)

fishplate42

Reaction score
Envious? No, but I am full of admiration for those who do make it look so easy.

I have never had a competitive streak. I never wanted to play competitive sport or even Monopoly at Christmas. For me fishing is the best way I know to relax, I only wish I had not waited until I was 58 to give it a try. The last thing I will ever be of another angler is envious, I just enjoy every moment for me. If anything I suppose I am a selfish angler. It is the one time in my life that I am happy to be alone for hours, never bored and the time seems to pass far too quickly.

It matters not to me if I catch a stickleback, like I did a couple of weeks ago, or a big carp. I just love it - all of it!

Ralph

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not envious of anglers catches but would like to have access to the same waters as they do. Imo the hardest thing about catching certain fish is having access to a water that contains them, once you have that then if your half competent at angling you have as good a chance as anyone at catching.

B

binka

I did as a kid but that wore off as I began making my own way with things.

I certainly don't envy others now, I do appreciate the effort that some put in to reach their higher levels of success and I just couldn't do that whilst retaining the feeling that it's fun.

Hats off to those that can and do.

Then there are the naturals, those who could pull a fish out of a bird bath and whilst it would be nice to be one (a natural, not a bird bath) I'm happy enough as I am which doesn't cause any envy.

Perch, on the other hand...

:D

barbelboi

Reaction score
Possibly the only time was in the late 50’s reading in the AT about the catch reports of Bob Reynolds at Billing. This led to travelling the 150mile round trip from the Colne valley (which was very much in it’s carp infancy at the time) and spending many weekends there, with a bit of success, in the 60’s. If I had known all the facts regarding BR’s captures at the time I might not have bothered (as he never much bothered in the 60's) – but certainly have never regretted it................

iain t

Reaction score
No. If i envied them i would have given up fishing years ago. When i see a picture of a specimen fish or a match result, i think that's nice and well done. Although i target a certain breed of fish i have never been a specimen hunter. Once you only want the biggest and best or the most pressure is on and i think that takes away some enjoyment.

bracket

Reaction score
Never been envious of anyone getting a good net of fish, good luck to them. I didn't enjoy getting banjo-ed off the next peg, but that would be down to me not my fellow competitor. You do what you can on the day and if it's not successful well there's always the next match. My Old Mum used to say to me "Just do your best Lad, Angels can't do better than that" so that's my philosophy. Pete.

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
I have never been envious of other anglers catches but one thing that brought it home to me about some of their success was when i watched a video of Nick Speed on the stainforth canal.
He was pleasure fishing using bloodworm and joker and went into detail about his session.
The effort put into his fishing was immense and this was just a pleasure session of fishing.
At the end of the video i realised just how much time and effort some anglers put into their fishing and their success is on most occasions fully deserved.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Never envious, but seeing others fishy photos and reading their stories has always inspired me!

Those anglers who repeat their success over a broad range of situations deserve admiration. Their catches have been hard won!

Every good fish I have caught came after much trial, hard work and a lot of time at the water. Getting old now and have less energy, been a little while since I last had a specimen fish - but I am just happy if I get something for the table!

There would be a Photobucket picture here, but??????

https://www.fishingmagic.com/forums...catches-up-2017-picture4694-fish-pie-skye.jpg

Last pollack I caught now in the fish pie!

Last edited:

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
As with many others honest anglers I was envious as a young chap if they caught and I didn't. This continued into fishing matches as a junior where separate competitions were held for us and I remember only too well my teeth grinding or clenching at weigh-in time.

As time wore on and senior status loomed I managed to hold my own in matches and this because I absorbed every bit of information I could, either from other anglers or the weeklies. I spent a fortune each week on mags and papers but never regretted a penny of it. It was my all consuming passion...
I did the 'big fish' bit for some years but was very secretive about catches or locations, but the 'envious' part soon left me as I didn't set myself up as trying to outdo anyone else. I just wanted to be as good as I could be..

For many years now I have really enjoyed watching other friends or complete strangers catch good fish, and I am as enthusiastic and congratulatory when others do well. I'll gladly do the pics or help with the weighing and the handshake as the fish goes back just as satisfying, regardless of who caught it!

Mind you, another catching a 3lb roach might mean my foot helping him into the water.....

sam vimes

Reaction score
No, not really. I long ago found my peace and accepted that my fishing was never going to reach dizzy heights unless I was prepared to move or spend more time and money on fishing than I could ever afford.

The alternative would be to become one of the modern full time professional anglers. However, that prospect fills me with horror too. I can't imagine anything more likely to destroy my interest in angling than being forced to do it whether I liked it or not.

rayner

Reaction score
I suppose if I had ambitions of catching any particular species or fish sizes I might be a little envious.
I have on occasion looked a little side ways at folk who catch when I don't.
I've never had targets when I fish apart from numbers, I get more enjoyment from catching more small fish than a few bigger ones.
Most folk would hate how I fish, the same goes for me with how they fish for big fish.

Philip

Reaction score
I will go a little against the grain and say i am sometimes envious because at the end of the day i go fishing to primarily catch fish and hopefully some big ones so of course if i see someone else catch a good one i dont think its bad or wrong to admit i would be a bit jealous.

Thats not to say i would begrudge the captor his succsess...its takes allot of effort to consistantly catch big fish and the guys who do it regularly will have earned it.

fishplate42

Reaction score
I have already answered the OP question above, but reading the thread brings to mind an occasion when, unknown to me I was the subject of envy. Yes I know it is hard to imagine, but no one was more surprised than me!

I was fishing a small commercial lake that I had not fished since it had been restocked with tots of small carp, bream, roach, perch and so on. I had thrown out the odd feeder and caught a few that way but it was a bit slow. Initially I was fishing it alone. About 9 o'clock a bloke arrived with a couple of kids and set up on the other side of the lake. You know the type, 4x4 parked as close as he can to the lake, lots of fancy gear and proceeded to rig some rods. The kids were half interested but were more interested in running about when nothing was happening.

While I was watching this all going on, I had left the feeder and was using my cheap 5M pole to catch these lovely little fish almost one after the other. I heard the odd remark like "he's got another one" and "look dad". Needless to say they were not catching anything. I did not see any plumbing up going on, they were using long floats sticking out of the water by a few inches and line thick enough for me to be able to see from where I was.

Just as I was thinking about offering the kids a go with my cheap pole, as a knew they would catch something, I realised they started to pack up, and dad was looking rather grumpy, so I left it. Thinking they were just here for a couple or three hours to get them out of mum's way for the morning, I though no more of it.

A couple of hours latter, one of the bailiffs arrived, to pass the time of day, and told me the dad had called into the office on his way out to complain that the bloke opposite (me) was catching all the fish which meant they did not stand a chance of catching any themselves... :eek:

Ralph.

john step

Reaction score
Not so much envious just a little wistful at times until I remember the effort,time and cash, those very successful anglers often put in.

Many have sacrificed marriage and health to achieve what they have. They haven't got what I have .

fishplate42

Reaction score
Not so much envious just a little wistful at times until I remember the effort,time and cash, those very successful anglers often put in.

Many have sacrificed marriage and health to achieve what they have. They haven't got what I have .

Very true. I have tried a little match fishing over the past couple of years and, unless I put a lot more time, money and effort into it, I am never going to get anywhere, so now I have all but given it up. I will still do the odd friendly match now and again, not with any ideas of winning but just to have a bit of fun and and a chat.

Most of the guys who win, spend every hour they are not sleeping or working, fishing. Yes, they are good at it but I just don't have that single minded determination. I much prefer to sit there and soak up the atmosphere, catching the odd fish and contributing to their winnings - another reason I am not going to do it as often as I was.

Ralph.

terry m

Reaction score
Like others, when you are young it is easy to become a little envious when you witness what seems like a huge fish caught by another.

But for most, time teaches humility and wisdom, and in my case a good dose of pragmatism.

I quickly learnt that angling is a great leveller, and nothing is guaranteed - which is why it can be so engaging.

Frustration? Often. Envy? No.

john step

Reaction score
and told me the dad had called into the office on his way out to complain that the bloke opposite (me) was catching all the fish which meant they did not stand a chance of catching any themselves... :eek:

Ralph.

That's so daft it beggars belief! If he had gone round and had a word with you, he could have been put right. Funny how some people think.