Shelf life, Frozen Bollies ?

iain t

Reaction score
No being knowable on Bollies. Can someone explain the pros and cons regarding Frozen Bollies? Have they a stronger smell, taste, Last longer. Some seem to swear by them and other prefer shelf life.

Reaction score
Far from it,frozen boilies have less flavour,are best used in small batches as you can generally only re-freeze them by re-hydrating them,in frozen bait there isn't the need for preservatives either.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Frozen are generally considered to be the better bait as they don't usually contain preservatives. However, much depends on the make and type of shelf lifes they are being compared to. Once upon a long a go, shelfies were invariably stacked with relatively harsh synthetic preservatives. I'm lead to believe that it's not always the case now. Given a choice, and enough freezer space, I'd generally prefer to have frozen boilies. However, I don't have loads of freezer space and will happily use shelfies.

Reaction score
On defrosting will they suck up more glug or flavour liquid

The time to do that is when refreezing them,shelf life boilies however were always reckoned by Tony Miles to have too much flavouring,which caused the 'blowing' of the bait.

Keith M

Reaction score
I've never had much faith in shelf life boilies, even though people tell me they are not quite as bad as they used to be at one time when they were full of preservatives..
I've had some quite dismal experiences using shelf life's in the past.

I much prefer to use frozen boilies and I will quite happily re-freeze several times if I have any left, and they don't seem to catch any less than when they were fresh. In fact occasionally I've caught even more when they were almost humming, possibly because the aminos were starting to break down :)

Keith

Last edited:

iain t

Reaction score
The ones that got me confused were CC Moore Pacific tuna boilies frozen and the shelflife type. They seem to be the same

carpinbob

Reaction score
I use sticky baits bloodworm boilies and I find that there's not much difference between the two, they both do the job.

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
Nutrabaits TRIGGA shelf life boilies were more effective than the frozen ones in some peoples eyes, but Nutrabaits seem to have dissolved now so it's a moot point. I should have another glass I think.

browndog

Reaction score
I often wonder if there's actually any difference in the mix of frozen and shelf life bookies, it would far easier from a production viewpoint to simply run the same mix through the machines and simply label the product shelf life or frozen.
The boilies I use are only available as frozen, when I have used shelf life I've never been keen on the different texture, the shelf life being very unappealing, but then I'm not a fish, so I may be wrong.

Last edited:

terry m

Reaction score
Shelf life boilies have improved immeasurably over the last 5 years.

Some of the premium brands, e'g' Terry Hearn/Dynamite are very good. I have no compunction about using them over frozen.