How do i approch a weedy river section

iain t

Reaction score
I would like to fish a new stretch of river. The only problem is there is a lot of long streamer weed. Am not sure how to approach it. This section of the river very lightly fished and tidal. I have seen large Carp and Barbel along with some nice sized Chub and Perch through the water. There's no way a float would get through the weed, so am thinking along the lines of Bomb or feeder.
Forgot to say we are not allowed to rake the weed as it's a protected breeding area for rare dragon flies.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd say to look for clear patches among the weed as it moves in the current. Depending on how far away you are from the spot I'd feed it by hand, with a dropper or a catty and use as light a bomb. Maybe use braid as the mainline as it supposedly cuts through weed better than mono if you do get snarled up in it.

iain t

Reaction score
To be honest i can't see any clear patches. This may be why not a lot fish it. I like a challenge and going by the fish I've seen popping their heads up it could be worth it

thecrow

Reaction score
Are you allowed to fish into dark there? the fish will move out of the weed to feed when the light drops, a bit of prebait before dark can work.

If the water is shallow enough you could wade out and drop your end rig into a gap into the weed, best if its wrapped in a PVA bag to do this and keep the hook length short. Another way that works is to use a pole and cup to ship your rig out to a gap in the weeds again put the rig in a PVE bag.

Watch the weed and you will see gaps appearing in it, its possible with the right timing to drop your PVA'd rig into one, or you can use a heavy lead and short hook length in a PVA bag and just crash it through the weed.

Try to sit downstream of your rig that way you will be playing any fish out of the weed not into it.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If it's tidal you could trott over the top of the weed when the levels allow.

iain t

Reaction score
Sadly no night fishing is allowed and going by the local EA water level station it's between 3 to 4 meters deep. I think the weight and bait in a PVA bag may be my best chance.

Tigger the weed tips are a few mill below the water surface

---------- Post added at 14:08 ---------- Previous post was at 13:17 ----------

What do you think on bait?. Pop up or on the deck. Not sure what the ground is like. Thinking something like a cocktail maggots, corn with a pop up fake corn

xenon

Reaction score
maybe a really heavy prebait will get the fish to clear a patch for you? No idea if that would work, mind.

flightliner

Reaction score
Wait for , or arrive as the tide is about to turn when it becomes stationary for a short time. Bait can then be introduced in any clear spot. A good time to to plumb the depth and to find any unusual features that could be fish holding areas.

floatfish

Reaction score
Streamer weed fishing is never easy. On one Yorkshire River we used to
fish for the Chub etc using a heavy Grayling type float, six pound line direct
to an 8 or 10 hook loaded with a big lump of bread. Other baits could be and
was used. We would fish around two feet or so deep, cast out and let the
float rest on the weed edge. Weed dangling, the bait would be in the moving
stream or would go under the floating streamer weed.
Bites from the Chub were as usual, savage. A couple of bobs and float pulled
of the weed. It worked as we had many decent large fish.
We also had very little, if any loss of gear.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Swim feeder likely to get tangled up if its that thick, just when you have a good fish on as well. On the Hamp Avon I liked to freeline a heavy bait down alongside the streamer weed but that does not sound possible but good for tangle free fishing if you can; nothing to impede the line. A link lejer with swans on, enough to get you down through the weed could be a way; at least if you get tangled with the shot you can pull them off. Other than that I would go for an arsley of appropiate weight. Both ways I would watch the rod tip, maybe a quiver to help. Baits could anything but it sounds it might be easier with something heavy-luncheon/cheese/sausage, lobbing in a few free samples and let them sink through the weed. Fish over them for a while and move about a bit if nothing happens. Without looking at it not sure but I would think along these lines. You may have to get used your tip swaying with the weed pushing the line but you get used to it after a while and bites are obvious. But stay cool, sometimes not strike too soon with these baits, wait 10-15 secs for the fish to get the bait in their mouth.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Swim feeder likely to get tangled up if its that thick, just when you have a good fish on as well. On the Hamp Avon I liked to freeline a heavy bait down alongside the streamer weed but that does not sound possible. A link lejer with swans on, enough to get you down through the weed could be a way; at least if you get tangled with the shot you can pull them off. Other than that I would go for an arsley of appropiate weight. Both ways I would watch the rod tip, maybe a quiver to help. Baits could anything but it sounds it might be easier with something heavy, lobbing in a few free samples and let them sink through the weed. Fish over them for a while and move about a bit if nothing happens. Without looking at it not sure but I would think along these lines. You may have to get used your tip swaying with the weed pusing the line but you get used to it after a while and bites are obvious.

Sounds good Mark, but remember it's better with a quality rod in your hand ;) :D.

iain t

Reaction score
Am going down the bomb route with a short hook link, then at least i should hit the river bed. Possibly Friday or Saturday as heavy rain forecasted tomorrow.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Sounds good Mark, but remember it's better with a quality rod in your hand ;) :D.

I know:) I'm just awful:)

just another thing to consider Ian, with those big baits you can bury the hook in them, also less likely to hook on the weed when reeling in. Good Luck.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Good luck Iain! Most pond weed composts well!:) I await your report on hdygo in due course!;)

Enjoy and don't be a silly moo:rolleyes:

trotter2

Reaction score
Re: How do i approch a weedy river sectiiton

It sounds unfisable going from the discription.
I would look elsewhere :confused:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know:) I'm just awful:)

just another thing to consider Ian, with those big baits you can bury the hook in them, also less likely to hook on the weed when reeling in. Good Luck.

Absolutely Mark, I agree, I prefer larger baits anyhow and would fish as you describe i'd go with a bomb on a weak link or a string of large shot on a link so if the inevitable happens then the fish nor my gear isn't snagged propper !
I'd still try and use a nice quality rod though :D.

---------- Post added at 19:15 ---------- Previous post was at 19:14 ----------

Iain, maybe it would be best to leave it until the weed has died back ?

john step

Reaction score
You didn't say how wide/deep the river is.
I used to fish a small shallow river in Hertfordshire with long streamer weed.Almost impossible to trot in summer where the weed was.

The fish would be under the fronds which wavered about. Every now and again the current would waver the weed and a small gap would appear briefly.

The were popular places with less weed which always seemed to be occupied.

However there were good fish under the weed.

Now for the silly bit. I bought a pole called a Daiwa Carp Pole. I put strong elastic on it.

I found I could lower a bait vertically down through the gaps when they appeared.

It could be on a bomb or a float which was held back often sitting on the weed.

The fish were played quite efficiently from above. Barbel and chub and some good roach.

Philip

Reaction score
Look right in the margins, literally right next to the bank. Even on the most overgrow bits of river any overhanging vegetation will cut the light and the weed wont grow so much, there is often a narrow clearer channel at your feet. Then lower the bait /rig directly off the rod top down till you feel a thump. If you dont feel the thumb your in weed. Use a short hooklink so it wont get caught up. Plasticine can be a good substitute for lead as it pulls off easily.

Out of interest if its wall to wall and bottom to top weed where did you see the Barbel, Carp and Chub you mentioned swimming ? ...that might be a good place to start..

iain t

Reaction score
John. I did say it's about 3 to 4 meters deep but forgot to mention it's only about 15ft wide.

Philip. It's wall to wall Streamer weed. I spotted most of the fish mid swim to the other bank.

Mike . What is hdygo ?. Do you mean Hydroflo line? If so it seems to have a good abrasion rate in 8 and 6lb. No line twist, Seems to have very low memory and no breakages. Even with my crappy knots, I've yet to have one snap or undo. Sinks well. It does feel stronger than my old Sensor line. In gin clear water it is quite hard to see from a human point.