Fishing with infant around south and southeast

tomino2112

Reaction score
My son is finally in the age when you can go out with him for longer periods without worrying about being away from home for too long. Still cannot sit for hours on the bank though.

I am looking for some place in south or southeast where we could go with my wife, they could spend time on and off with me at the lake/river and wonder off for walks, food, see stuff.

Anyone knows such family friendly place? Does it even exist?

I was thinking Bury hill fisheries, definitely nice walks around but nit many places to chill, sit down and have a coffee for example.

I know someone mentioned Willow farms before but never been there.

I would be grateful for any suggestion as this is chance to get some fishing done (finally!) since he was born

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Sent a PM, a possible place that fits the bill. If you state an area where your prepared to travel I might be able to point you onto some depending how much travel you want really. South/South east is a bit large..

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
A day at the seaside would be good . A simple lightweight rod and line ( a Shakey Uglistick 6'6") can catch you small fish, crabs and even mackerel ! Watch The vids by Neil! Fish on the harbour side by dangling your feet over the side Huck Finn style!;)

Throw in the sound of the gulls, an ice cream, fish and chips and hopefully a bit of sun and what's not to like. Your better half will also enjoy it.

You can then transfer this experience to a canal or Stillwater near you! ;)

tomino2112

Reaction score
A day at the seaside would be good . A simple lightweight rod and line ( a Shakey Uglistick 6'6") can catch you small fish, crabs and even mackerel ! Watch The vids by Neil! Fish on the harbour side by dangling your feet over the side Huck Finn style!;)

Throw in the sound of the gulls, an ice cream, fish and chips and hopefully a bit of sun and what's not to like. Your better half will also enjoy it.

You can then transfer this experience to a canal or Stillwater near you! ;)

Interesting suggestion, british seaside tends to be quite windy though, we regreted deeply going to Cumber sands last time little one endup with lots of sand in eyes, had to leave after 15m...

I never done any sea fishing yet, funny enough Ugly stick is my first and most loved rod!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Down here in Whitstable there is Lavender Farm, great for kids, I suggest whip fishing. Situated just outside Whitstable on the way to Faversham. £7 per day.

If your wife can use the car then she has Faversham, Whitstable or the city of Canterbury all within a 15 minute drive.

mikench

Reaction score
Thomas I was suggesting a nice harbour town with a harbour wall or pier or breakwater and not a windswept beach! Bridport, Lyme Regis, Bournemouth , Deal, Whitstable to name but a few!

fishing4luckies

Reaction score
If you're anywhere near Kent then the Medway has some decent free stretches with plenty to interest the youngster. Teston Bridge for example, or the stretch near East Peckham.

I sometimes take my two (9 and 12) and the missus (age undisclosed) and she's quite happy getting comfy with a book and chatting to me whilst the kids switch between fishing with me and climbing trees.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
If you're anywhere near Kent then the Medway has some decent free stretches with plenty to interest the youngster. Teston Bridge for example, or the stretch near East Peckham.

I sometimes take my two (9 and 12) and the missus (age undisclosed) and she's quite happy getting comfy with a book and chatting to me whilst the kids switch between fishing with me and climbing trees.

Many years ago I fished in Tonbridge on the Medway, nice stretch although we did not catch much at the time-its was a free stretch but I cannot remember where, might be worth Googling and Tonbridge must have plenty of shops etc..

iain t

Reaction score
On the coast down my way, you have Dell quay/ Chichester harbour or for a fiver Chichester canal for Dace, Roach, Rudd, Perch and Pike. Emsworth is a nice area to fish shore fish.You also have Selsey east and west beaches, a lot of Dog Fish. Pagham and Brighton Marina which is very good for Pollock and Mackies.
Littlehampton around Ford towards the sea is free for tidal fishing. Good mix of fish.
All these places except Brighton have country walks with pubs and Cafes near by.

Most of the Rivers are run by clubs with no day tickets available.

tomino2112

Reaction score
Thank you all for great info! I will be going through all the locations whenever possible.

Last Sunday, after wife not impressed by the idea of me fishing most of the day, we decided to go to sea side with me taking my ugly stick to give it a try for fun if time permits. We chose Hastings...

The kind of wind that was there that day did not allow us to do much and absolutely no fishing. I mean waves crashing in the wall to extent when you couldn't see the wall at times... Things/people flying all over Hastings. British coastline hit us hard yet again.. Next time we gonna have to go to Bournemouth or around there been there just once before and remember it was nice and calm...

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I had the same predicament. My grandchildren were nagging me to take tbem. Purely by accident I found Hawkhurst fish farm. They have some ponds set aside just for kids and families. The ponds are well stocked so they should catch and there is a shop, cafe and toilets. My grandkids loved the time they spent there and we will be going again soon. As you can see from the photo there is a safety rail and they even hire out whips if you need them. I would give them 10 out of 10. It's not too far from Hastings, so you can fish the morning and still have the afternoon on the beach.
35273220bc8c1cd3db880c8fa0796e8f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk