Simple question

Specihunter

Reaction score
With how big both angling direct and fishing Republic have become are they going to be good or bad for us and the small tackle shops???

chrissh

Reaction score
I have angling direct ½ mile from me and fish republic 8 miles both are shops that I’m not over keen on they have every thing on the web site but when you go in their shops they don’t have what I want … I ask a guy in angling direct for some info on a fishing lake only to be told I’m not a fisherman can’t help. I’ll stick with my local tackle shop and were i can get a good deal and advice

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm not overly impressed with either. I've never been into an Angling Direct shop, other than Climax (pre-takeover), and I've rarely bought on-line from them. I have been into a Fishing Republic store, but was deeply unimpressed with their stock. I've never knowingly bought anything online from them. I suspect whether they are a threat or not will depend upon where in the market a shop operates and how close they are to either an AD or FR shop. For the shops I tend to use, online and bricks and mortar, I doubt they are much of an issue, for me personally or the shops concerned.

bullet

Reaction score
I guess that will all depend on how much we use them instead of our local tackle shops.
I think it's down to us as consumers. The big boys are good for keeping prices competitive, but your local shop should excel on service.
I'm happy to pay more for my stuff from a local shop, but not that much more, I think a fair balance can be struck.
I dont expect them to match some of the crazy prices the big boys offer, but I don't want to pay catalogue rrp either.

iain t

Reaction score
I used to order quite a lot of kit from FR in the past because they had some quality stuff at good prices. But these days i use SAS in Chichester a lot more. Even if they haven't got what i want they will order it. They have 99.9% of what i needed without rip off prices. Very helpful and full of tips from genuine anglers.

Specihunter

Reaction score
Up here we have very few tackle shops and soon there will be only one left. So online maybe my best bet for any gear I cant get in the shop as coarse fishing isn't very popular compared to sea fishing on the coast.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Keep buying from your local tackle shop , no personal service at the big shops

If my local shop doesn't have the item I want they will order it n if possible , bidder chains don't do this I bet

sam vimes

Reaction score
Up here we have very few tackle shops and soon there will be only one left. So online maybe my best bet for any gear I cant get in the shop as coarse fishing isn't very popular compared to sea fishing on the coast.

Knowing the situation in Cumbria, I can understand that entirely. However, whilst it's a little better on this end of the A66, we aren't awash. I do plenty of buying online, but I have rarely used AD and never used FR. As far as I'm concerned, there are better, and sometimes cheaper, options out there.

mikench

Reaction score
I try to support my local tackle shop but by their own admission they cannot supply all items particularly reels. They didn't stock the Diawa Emcast I wanted and whilst they could get me one they would have to buy at least 10 so could be left with 9! I had to buy of the net in the end.

dicky123

Reaction score
angling direct offer everything an online shop should. excellent service, quick delivery, price match. i use them all the time now when i can, otherwise i use eBay.

we had a local shop in my town, all carp gear. the guy invested £50 grand in stock and thought all you had to do was sit behind the counter and the money would roll in. he didn't bother to learn customers names, or what they fished for. while in the shop he would be on his laptop and not speak to customers. he also closed the shop to go fishing, but not tell his customers. so you would call in and the shop would be closed.

lasted just 18 months sadly.

sorry about the writing guys, only have one hand available due to a broken wrist.

Specihunter

Reaction score
We had that issue up here guy took over a shop and due to lack of the right stock and poor service. He let his mate run moved to a smaller shop and now it's closed. Another is closing in October he basically had stock that was years old and lost customers due to whatever reason. Depends on who you speak too. And the new shop won't stock what won't sell. So I have to go online to get my coarse gear.

greenie62

Reaction score
I try to support my local tackle shop but by their own admission they cannot supply all items particularly reels.....

I am in the fortunate position of living midway between 2 tackle shops - about 2-3 mile away - I prefer the smaller one for bait and bits - but the other is NWAC! With their range of stuff why is it they still don't have what I want when I want it !?:confused::rolleyes::eek:mg:

robcourt82

Reaction score
I have 2 AD's within easy reach and they're by no means bad shops. I'm on fairly good terms with my local independent shop as well and to be fair both have their good and bad points. The AD stores are very good for carp related stuff but a bit hit and miss for General or match items and if I've asked I've always had decent service from them. The problem my local store has is size and and the cost of stocking certain products.
I have a tiny but dated experience in the trade and I think the bigger tackle companies themselves are more of a danger to the independent stores than any other retailer. Certain manufacturers demand that a retailer buying huge amounts of stock even though it has no or little chance of selling half of it.

Specihunter

Reaction score
I was told a lot of shops stopped stocking greys, due to them having 1 rule for the bigger shops and 1 for the smaller shops.

The bad one

Reaction score
A cautionary tale here, 12 months ago my Tackle Shop that I'd been going in from a kid 55 years + shut down as the owner wanted to retire and go fishing the rest of his life. His son didn't want to take over the business due to having a well paid job he enjoyed. The business had been going for two generations and the knowledge base that has gone particularly as far as keeping, preparing and storing live bait. His maggot and caster were the best for 20 miles around and anglers would travel that sort of distance for it.

The shop because of the time it had been going had lots of bits and pieces that perhaps couldn't be found elsewhere. I'd go in and say, “Hi Gerry I've come for something you probably don't have!” And 75% of the time he'd turn it up from some drawer somewhere in the shop. And believe me I've asked for some obscure stuff over the years. Usually he'd meet the comment with what you making now?
He'd always order anything you needed if you asked him and have it within the week.

The point I'm making is I miss the shop like hell, as it was very local, did great bait, had stuff I couldn't get anywhere else, very good customer service and a mind of knowledge about all types of fishing and waters near and far.

To get bait maggots/caster I now have to travel 5 to 7 miles for it in either direction and it's mediocre at best. As to those obscure bits and pieces no bloody chance now! You really don't know how much you'll miss your local tackle shop until it gone I can assure you of that!

mikench

Reaction score
.......and the same goes with many small independent shops and when they have gone........!:(

I am not to a pound or two here and there and frequent my local tackle shop whenever possible. If the guy cannot get me what i want he tells me and i go online.

I once asked at the butchery counter at my local Sainsburys for a particular piece of pork( a Boston Butt joint for pulled pork) and the young lad behind the counter, who looked the part of a butcher) said " you need a proper butcher for something like that";)

Says it all really: skills and knowledge just disappearing!

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Well im use the local shops and the local AD who i have to say have looked after me fairly well i am always greeted with hello pete the range is quite good aswell .
For maggots i will use AD first then one in princess end and one in Halesowen third the rest dont have a look in as the maggots are sub standard to be polite .

PG ...

dangermouse1978

Reaction score
I am in the fortunate position of living midway between 2 tackle shops - about 2-3 mile away - I prefer the smaller one for bait and bits - but the other is NWAC! With their range of stuff why is it they still don't have what I want when I want it !?:confused::rolleyes::eek:mg:

Nwac used to be my local tackle shop, don't bother going in anymore, customer service is terrible

steve2

Reaction score
I am in a position with fishing tackle that I don't need any more tackle big or small. But I still walk round any tackle shop I come across on my travels unfortunately I find that tackle shops are getting less and less. I do have 2 AD shops the nearest being 20 miles away they are both well stocked but don’t have the feel of a tackle shop, more supermarket. Don’t know the last time I used a dedicated fishing tackle shop it’s either Go Outdoors or Decathlon.

I remember when I had 6 local tackle shops but now there’s only one and that’s geared to carp you can’t blame him for that because that is where the money is.