Fixed spool for trotting and general tench fishing.

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
I'm considering getting a float outfit for trotting on rivers for Chub (hopefully) and tench fishing in stillwater. I would be using 3-6lb line in general. I might have found a nice rod but would be appreciated to have a recommendation for a reel to go with it. I don't want a pin but a decent reel with shallow spools for the above line. I'm just testing the water here,the rod is costly but 8 could still sell it and recoup enough back to make it worthwhile. Any suggestions gents? Say under 100 quids.

Reaction score
The Drennan front drag reels fit into the mid-range price wise,has three aluminium shallow spools in 30 and 40 sizes,not as good as a top notch Shimano or Daiwa,but for the price ticks all the boxes,when I bought my 40 sized reel the drag seemed a bit lumpy,but after a few trips(with fish)it worked beautifully,hope this helps...

trotter2

Reaction score
Look for a second hand daiwa tdr mate.
But you would need to fill the spools out as there not shallow.

dicky123

Reaction score
Nobby.

I've just brought a cracking little Daiwa Legalis, speak with Ian at Matchman supplies and he will do you one for £70, worth a ton. Nice size 3000, drag is amazing too. Perfect for trotting as its light and smooth.

The other is a Shimano Aero 4000 FA feeder. Just over a £100, but while a small reel it has an oversized spool 5000 ideal for trotting as the line does not bed in and has a very fast retrieve, ideal when the float it 40 yards away. You really notice it when casting all the time, very light too for such a quality reel.

I have both and they are excellent Nobby mate.

trotter2

Reaction score
By limiting yourself to shallow spools your going to miss out on the better reels.
Have a rethink mate?

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
OK, forget the shallow spool bit then!
I had thought about a close face having owned a 501 and 506 in the past but of the two I preferred the backwind of the 501 as the clutch on the other was naff. However fixed spools can have great clutches and if I'm tenching, which is probably the most use then I'll need a stout clutch (missus). So, I'll up the ante to around the £100 mark. I'd rather have a good, solid yet light(ish) reel than one that may not quite cut the mustard.
keep 'em coming .....:)

jasonbean1

Reaction score
I've recently started using Preston pxr pro reels as I could not justify the cost of tdr's.... very impressed with them, 3000 great float reel, sealed bearings and quick release spool unlike. Would not touch drennan fd's, had 2 and bearings went in both as not sealed.

chrissh

Reaction score
I have the shimano super GT 2500 & 4000 RD reel both the reel come with a set of spool reducers and a slightly oversized spool and a nice smooth clutch … there around £75.00

link
SUPER GT RD

trotter2

Reaction score
I would have said shimano as well as the daiwa tdr but unfirtunatly shimano have done something crazy and removed the anti reverse switch from there better reels.
The Tdrs are built like a brick **** house mate look no further

sam vimes

Reaction score
I suspect that the days of the big multinationals doing shallow match spools are all but gone. They are more interested in producing one size doesn't fit all with their primary spinning markets in mind. However, Shimano are doing oversized spools with spool reducers on some models.

The Shimano Super GTRD is the cheapest of such reels and can be had for well inside your budget. The oversized spool is an advantage for any kind of floatfishing, in my opinion. The supplied spool reducers make for a much more sensible line capacity. The only downside I've found is that the rear drag isn't as good as the much more expensive, or front drag, models. If you are a dedicated backwinder, that might not matter to you.

davebhoy

Reaction score
The Daiwa auto 1657dm is a fixed spool reel that's made for trotting - it's made so you can control everything using the hand holding the rod. It has shallow spools.

B

binka

The Tdrs are built like a brick **** house mate look no further

I recently sold mine as it just wasn't getting the use but I would echo trotter's sentiments.

The drag was the best I'd ever used and I can't think of an occasion when I was outrun on it and I never had to back it off to a lighter than generally required setting in case a big fish came along on light line, it just did it's thing at the optimum level.

I even hammered it for a full season's barbelling which I suspect would have ground the gears on many similar sized reels but again it just kept going.

I'm still using the predecessor 2503 Match S of which I have three from nearly twenty years ago and they're everything I need for that type of reel.

Just realised sorry, I was thinking of the TDX2508 and not the TDR but wouldn't be at all surprised if the merits are the same.

Reaction score
I have had my Drennan FD reel for 3 years or more with no problem,but I would feel the same if mine had gone.As for the TDR's they are a bit dearer than the £100 price tag,the TDX's are better,but are even dearer,I wouldn't pay that price(and I can definitely afford a few),shallow spools are preferable imo and i've asked Daiwa and Shimano reps why they stopped producing them and their reply was that all reels are designed for the American market and so not made for our angling,lets be honest if reels for feeder and float fishing had a 150yd maximum capacity they would be perfect,I have several Shimano's,a couple of Daiwa's in various sizes(mid-top range),even had a Shimano Hyperloop FD 40 size given to me which was ok and I caught a few double figure barbel on it and it's still running.:)

sam vimes

Reaction score
lets be honest if reels for feeder and float fishing had a 150yd maximum capacity they would be perfect

As posted earlier the days of UK specific Shimano shallow match spool versions (usually denoted by an S in the model code) seem to be over. However, there are three or four different models that come with spool reducers that give them the kind of capacity you'd prefer.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Witty....Why do you think they need a 150yds capacity for perfection ?

Only my opinion, but I cannot se the point of loading that much line on a reel, but then I tend to load half that at a time and change it more often. I also used to load line in such a way, but found it wasn't much cop over the considerable time it was on the reel....Fresh is best IMO!!
Perhaps you use most as backing?

We all have our different ways, I suppose...

mikench

Reaction score
I am intrigued by the Daiwa auto 1657dm, a reel first made in the 80's and still for sale today; and not cheap either!

The load of tackle i am about to be given includes one so if it still works after a bit of tlc, i will give it a try!

Does anyone else use one?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I am intrigued by the Daiwa auto 1657dm, a reel first made in the 80's and still for sale today; and not cheap either!

The load of tackle i am about to be given includes one so if it still works after a bit of tlc, i will give it a try!

Does anyone else use one?

I have done, I got one while I was still at school. It was bought second hand as it was supposed to be the modern incarnation of a Mitchell Match. The automatic bail arm is the (now) unique selling point. The shallow spools are probably the best feature. Everything else about them was terribly dated by 1995. Mine was unused for decades until I managed to drop it and stand on it. Damaging a rod or reel would normally annoy the hell out of me. In this instance, I didn't really care. I've looked at new ones in an attempt to discover whether my misgivings were just down to mine being old and knackered (prior to it being old and squished). Barring the spools and automatic bail, I can't see anything that makes them better than very average £20-30 quid reels.