Tricast Tribune 12' float rod

mikench

Reaction score
I am to be given some old Tackle owned by my late brother in law! I have posted about this before and it has taken a long time but next week I will collect it

Apart from one of the above I am also to receive a Tricast Trophy IM6 rod!:)

Can anyone recognise this rod which I haven't seen as yet!

sam vimes

Reaction score
The colour and the rod bag looks suspiciously familiar. It may be an Edgar Sealey Black Arrow.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The butt shape where it meets the blank looks right but it would be helpful to see the ferrules.............

The butt cap, tip ring and first ring from the butt may help too.
It probably won't help me though. I'm familiar with the Black Arrow 2, but not the original. However, I know that the first version was much darker in colour, just like the picture, and that the rod bag (right down to the yellow ties) looks just the same (though in much better condition) as mine.

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/114012980/edgar-sealey-black-arrow-13ft-float-rod.html?link=/classifieds/all/uk/edgar+sealey&awc=5834_1501445007_c178cdd4487a9b52a30dfcbb171319c4&utm_source=AWin-223481&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=AffiliateWin

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
If and when I get it I will check it out and post more details. Thanks to you all for responding!

nottskev

Reaction score
Lucky so and so! Tricast rods are superb, generally, and the two you mention date from PC (that's pre-carp) when they were making highly regarded rods for light line fishing for roach, bream etc.

I've had several over the years, from spliced-tip stick float rods, via bream feeder rods to big-fish poles, and never had one that wasn't a pleasure to use.

There's an interesting local (fairly) connection you might like to look up. I bought a 10 metre carbon pole, one of the first available, around 1980/1. It was made by Fothergill and Harvey from Littleborough, near Rochdale, and came in a luxury case which housed each section separately. It was a thing to marvel at, at that time. A few years later, I traded it up part/ex for a much lighter creation from Tricast at Eddie Battersby's shop in Swinton, near Salford, Tricast being the company which Fothergill and Harvey became, or gave rise to.

So the rods coming your way are classy items with a bit of pedigree.

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Sam! You don't know this Kev but I was born in Rochdale and left at the first opportunity and never went back! Tricast were and remain based in the town and I suspect my late b-i-l either bought them direct or from a local dealer.

A good family friend was the company secretary to Fothergill and Harvey when I was a lad! I know Littleborough well! On road signs it used to say L'boro' as an abbreviation and my sister once commented that she had never heard of L'boro'!

nottskev

Reaction score

mikench

Reaction score
I doubt that Kev! Stunning pictures of a lovely area. I like canals and locks and viaducts and would no doubt have fished that canal had i been interested in the day. Instead I fished the canal at a place called Slattocks ,between Rochdale and Littleborough and Hollingworth Lake near Littleborough.;)

robtherake

Reaction score
I had the 11" 4 Tommy Pickering kevlar feeder and found it handy for barbel in tight situations. Hauled plenty of fish from stalemate by digging my heels in and edging backwards, apparently indestructible rod bent to the corks. A friend was witness at Topcliffe, hissing "F*****g hell, Rob" with one terrified eye looking out between his fingers, waiting for the explosion of carbon.:D Hell of a rod, though wrap-arounds on the spliced tip proved a little expensive. :eek: