Storm kettle.

dicky123

Reaction score
Where do you get the water from when you use your Kelly. For years when I use mine the water has come from the water I'm fishing, I know all he dangers but.

Carrying all the water seems to defeat the object to me. I've mostly used river water, but most lakes are clear, and I always boil the water.

Does anyone else us a Kelly?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no problem using the water from the lower Hampshire Avon in the Kelly Kettle but anywhere else I tend to take water from home as I think that is safer.

trotter2

Reaction score
It supposed to be drinkable when boiled but not sure I would do it.
May well remove bacteria but cant see it removing chemicals trouble is you don't know what's been washed in from roads and farmland.
I would take water with you mate no point risking it Imo.

seth49

Reaction score
It's supposed to be boiled for at least ten minutes. That's what I was told when I worked for the water board. If there's rats about it would be very risky. I just take a flask of hot water and make brews as and when.

fishplate42

Reaction score
It is the rats that would worry me. I read somewhere the largest number of infections in young men was from drinking beer from bottles in pubs... Apparently the rats pee as they go along - all over the bottles... food for thought.

I remember drinking from the stream as a kid, fifty-odd years ago, when we went camping with the school in the summer holidays. I suspect there was all sorts of chemicals in the water then, probably much higher than today. I can't remember any of us getting sick. Mind you we were tougher then. I am sure we built up a stronger constitution in those days before all the 'sanitation' that the supermarkets and so-called food experts have 'added' to the way they sell and advise on food and food hygiene.

That said, I think I would take my own drinking water from home rather than drinking rat pee, boiled or not! It is not as if you need an awful lot.

Ralph.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A few of my friends who are into outdoor living, biking/camping out etc have small water filters which apparently give you drinkable water once filtered which takes seconds to do.
I think i'd drink my own urine before i'd drink the water from my local waters, even if it's boiled!!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Are you are taking the p*** Ian?:rolleyes:

I can sort you out with a couple of bottles of the good early morning stuff if you like Mike...it'll put hairs on your chest !! :eek: :cool: :D

dicky123

Reaction score
i love it, you boys are so easy to wind up, where is BINKA:D simply light the blue touch paper and?

Last edited:
B

binka

i love it, you boys are so easy to wind up, where is BINKA:D simply light the blue touch paper and?

He smelt a rat (or was it rancid river water?) very early on and headed for the nearest drainpipe :D

Philip

Reaction score
I remember drinking from the stream as a kid, fifty-odd years ago, when we went camping with the school in the summer holidays. I suspect there was all sorts of chemicals in the water then, probably much higher than today. I can't remember any of us getting sick

I had a very similar experience..school camping trip in the summer holidays and drank water from the stream running though the campsite.

However thats where our stories now diverge as after drinking the water I spent the entire night ******** my pants and used up my entire weeks supply of underwear in one innings :D

B

binka

I've not read the article but was always under the impression that rats had to be carrying a certain disease in order to transmit Leptospirosis, as opposed to automatically carrying it.

Particularly vulnerable after high water when some of their holes have been washed out.

I do think they pee on bottles and cans though, I've bought cans in the past that look like they have a mild yellow, dried frosting on the top and I'm sure it's rat or mice pee.

Could just be another can that has split and spilled I suppose, I ain't risking it though :puke:

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
The main thing to worry about near water is taking care to cover any slight cut or graze - when I lived in Northampton in the early '80s, a young bloke died of Weil's Disease after water-skiing at Ransome Road Lake (which was also used for fishing).

The coroner's report included the opinion that the bacterium had entered his body via a small, uncovered cut on his hand.

You've got to be pretty unlucky to catch it, but as you say, it's not worth taking the risk if you have a hobby that brings you into close contact with water that might contain all sorts of nasties...

Leptospirosis - NHS Choices

iain t

Reaction score
River water needs to be boiled a few times then sterilised with tablets for a min of an hour. Then filtered before drinking.
No way would i drink river water without treatment and ive got a lead line stomach. Spring water is OK
The bacteria, fish, animal ****, dead animals, Rats, Chemical spillage and Joe Bloggs pissing in it up stream, plus chemical run off from farm land when it rains.

Drinking river water will give you a high chance of poisoning or even a slow long death.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
Check 'Water to Go' - filter & bottle all in one unit - I would then rolling boil it just to be doubly sure