Shimano dl 4000 problem

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Hello all , on a shimano dl4000 I have got when I use the bait runner and have a run I pick up and wind but the bait runner does not disengage and just makes a odd grinding sound . I have to flick it off myself .

Any ideas what this is or what's best thing to do as I want to use the bait runner facility .

Reel was secondhand when bought it .

Thanks in advance .

chrissh

Reaction score
1. Has the reel fallen in the water that you know off.it could have muck inside

2. Take the side panel off and clean out the old grease & oil with spirit (NOT WD40) & re-grease/oil

3. Inside the reel at the back there is a toggle lever which has a spring arm that rests on the toggle if that had moved or broken there not enough tension to disengage the lever

Shimano reel schematics … Exploded views reels

associatedmatt

Reaction score
As far as I know it's not fallen in water it's fairly new as came with box as guy had not even put line on it . I can buy a new one for £45 so may be worth getting a new one if repair cost is near that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
Matt

Doesn't really help you much but I have come across some pretty bad comments about those DL reels on other forums, suggesting that the functionality isn't what it should be.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As far as I know it's not fallen in water it's fairly new as came with box as guy had not even put line on it . I can buy a new one for £45 so may be worth getting a new one if repair cost is near that

Sounds like some kind of mechanical failure within the reel. Being fairly new I'd be looking for a replacement or a free repair at the very least.

Edit... Scrap that above, if you've bought secondhand you can't vouch or know how the reel has been treated.

iain t

Reaction score
You need to open the side panel up and clean out the grease and regrease it. Saw the same problem on another forum with a chap with the same problem. Turned out to be the grease was too thick and too much, not allowing the pin to move freely.

B

binka

Just go back to route one, bin it and buy a reliable Daiwa :D

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Why do you say that ? Means would have to buy 2 ;)

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I know there not , hence the wink of a joke . What was the reels you had mike ? The br's

jasonbean1

Reaction score
Like said send them off for a service, not as expensive as your think.

Felindre would say still be my choice if I had shimano's.... very easy company to work with.

mikench

Reaction score
I know there not , hence the wink of a joke . What was the reels you had mike ? The br's

Matt i have a DL2500 and it works fine. I recently bought a Diawa Emcast 3500 ( see my post yesterday) and it is just the job! It was recommended by Binka so it must be good. Smooth drag and instant cancellation of the freespool facility on a turn of the handle. It weighs about 16oz so not heavy. I recommend it to you!:)

I also have a ST6000( too big for my fishing) and an Okuma Carbonite which is now consigned to use with a carp rod and a bait dropper!

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I'm going to open the side panel and de grease it with some white spirt or would brake cleaner damage it ? Would 3 in 1 oil be best to lubricate it with ?

---------- Post added at 00:20 ---------- Previous post was at 00:17 ----------

My other reels are shimano but a better quality , X aero 6000 . Bigger body reel but it's a superb reel but not cheap . Other is a dl and I do have a daiwa as a reel for float fishing or light feeder fishing

chrissh

Reaction score
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I'm going to open the side panel and de grease it with some white spirt or would brake cleaner damage it ? Would 3 in 1 oil be best to lubricate it with ?

there's a big difference between grease and oil .... but at the end off the day its your reel if you want to use oil instead of grease and brake cleaner... i would send the reel to someone the know what there doing

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I'm a mechanic by trade so a simple clean shouldn't be too hard , don't want to use thick lm grease just wonder if a better option . Liquid grease is too sticky also

jasonbean1

Reaction score
personal I would not touch it....many a reel is consigned to the bin with such good intentions...particularly bait runners!

iain t

Reaction score
Do not use brake fluid. It can react to some rubber and silicones. Try lighter petrol. Regrease with light grease and 3 in 1 or sewing machine oil. You only need the smallish touch of Grease. Over do it and it can clog up the gearing and even making it hard to turn.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Ian , have a read again . Break cleaner it's a solvent degreaser . I have t had time yet since been moving house and sorting things out . But I'm on the bank today