I’ve got 3 days in Nottingham………….

PH

Reaction score
Coming up with no commitments and intend to make the best use of them.
I would appreciate any recommendations for day ticket waters preferably to the East of, and not too far from, Nottingham.
This will be my first opportunity for a few days of fishing for nearly 4 years, I’m not looking to fish for anything in particular but somewhere relatively peaceful and scenic would be great.
Any suggestions will be welcome.
Thanks.

nottskev

Reaction score
3 days? You're lucky; I've done 12 years.

Actually, there's plenty of fishing, but as I don't know if you prefer river, lake, canal, natural or commercial, here's a mix, all on the east side and not too far out.

Trent at Stoke Bardolph. Park on roadside next to river. Classic Trent floatfishing for mainly roach. Fished well all last summer.

Ashfield Angling Club - Stoke Bardolph

Two lakes, one large, one small, near the Rowing Center at Holme Pierrepont.
Fairly open and exposed in bad weather.

Hackett Fishing Lake | Holme Pierrepont, Nottingham

Smaller lake - about 1.5 acres - 10 mins out of West Bridgford. Pretty woodland setting. Sheltered and quiet. Easier to find fish. Suggest phone to check availability.

CLAY SHOOT GROUND SHOOTING BORDERS WOOD CORPORATE DAYS UK

A couple of miles down the (winding and a bit mazey) road from above is a beautiful secluded stretch of the Grantham canal with plenty of tench and lovely views. (Spot my favourite?) Find it, and walk up to pegs in the 20's.
Parkside Angling day ticket.

Grantham Canal � Angling

If you'd like the full commercial experience with multiple lakes of all shapes and sizes, cafe etc, this one is popular and 20 mins out of town.

Welcome to Portland Fishing Lakes, Sibthorpe near Newark, Nottinghamshire

Matchman Supplies is a top fishing shop with good bait and local advice, on the edge of West Bridgford and handy for all the above.

https://www.matchmansupplies.co.uk/

Cheers, Kev

Last edited:

PH

Reaction score
Thank you Kev., some very useful looking info there.
I will probably go for something like Hackett and/or Portland lakes. Much as I’d like to give some running water a go I may not be up to it as my 3 days of freedom is going to be directly follow cataract surgery, and I doubt my eyesight will be up to it.
A nice quiet lake is probably the best bet, if I can find one.
Regards,