Help with strategy after rain

tomino2112

Reaction score
It seems (not 100% decided yet) that I might have the whole of Thursday for myself (cannot remember the last time that happened) and so what would be the better way to spend it than go fishing!

Sorry guys I am also very tired and so I want to have nice rest in one of comfy commercials. I am thinking Bury hill (Milton), but not 100% sure yet.

Now, here is the weather report for wednesday and thursday:

0LF9651.jpg

It will be heavy rain whole day on wednesday, not much of temperature change on Thursday and it should be quite windy on Thursday.

I want to have good session with plenty of action from small to mid size fish, Dont want to catch too many tiny roaches, and not gonna go for anything 10lb+. Crucian, bream, perch, carp around 5lb, that kind of fishing.

What would be your tactics? bait choice etc?

I am asking because I am not that experienced and would love to get good tips specifically after quite a big weather change.

I might be able to shuffle things around and go on Wednesday, but regardless image above all forecasts say pretty heavy rain, and I dont want to have to go home too early just because of rain. Or do you guys think it would be better to go tomorrow?

Last edited:

iain t

Reaction score
The weather channel says rain and strong SW winds around 24mph for weds and Thursday.
Stay home and watch some DVD's

tomino2112

Reaction score
Exactly what I didn't want to hear ... :(

I didn't see any reports of rain on Thursday, and if it stays like that, I will just go and see if the wind is bearable.

I possibly cannot waste this one day opportunity...

Bluenose

Reaction score
Regardless of day, just find a sheltered area where you can fish the margins, get in behind a bush, get the brolly up, pin it down tight and get yourself comfy. Then just take your time and enjoy your day.

I don't know the fishery but if it's quiet, feed a margin swim to your left by dribbling in a bit of corn and hemp or whatever, do the same to a margin swim to the right with something a bit different, eg chopped worm, small bits of meat or pellet and feed the swim straight out with maggots or casters.

I'm talking a pinch of bait in each swim every 5-10 minutes or so in the margins, literally 2 or 3 bits of corn or meat, but feed the maggot a bit heavier in front and the smaller fish will show up immediately, but before long the better fish will start to show and push them out. Try the margins after an hour or so and am sure there will be a few fish knocking around. Then just alternate between your swims through the day.

You'll rarely fail on a commercial mate provided you don't go mad on the feed and if the weather is bad you'll have the place all to yourself.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I'd get as near the North-East corner (if it has one) as I could, preferably in a swim where I could get most of the wind behind me and cast into the corner itself. If the rain has coloured up the water, try worms as close to the edge as possible, if not, or no joy, plumb up and try where the depth begins to level off (if it does). I'd give the leger a go first, then see if I could get a float to work, but that might be "interesting" due to wind-generated currents on top and return currents eddying round below.
After a refreshing shower, and with that wind, they should be on the munch - good luck!

B

binka

Sit in the teeth of the gale/ hi winds. It can be very productive.
Best of luck.

That would be my choice too Mick.

On the large pit that we fished it can often be gin clear on one side and highly coloured on the windward side and the fish just seem to follow the wind regardless, even to the point of throwing the 'wind direction rule book' out of the window in the cold depths of winter.

It can be uncomfortable fishing in it but usually rewarding.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
if you're familiar with BH and if it is close by (AND if you expect serious rain AND wind) then with only a day to play with I would go for that. Such conditions suggest it is day to find a sheltered swim, get the brolly set up and just enjoy the day you have off, with any fish almost a bonus, and minimal experimenting given your 'very tired' condition!!

In such conditions I would set up a simple ledger with a feeder, or if the wind is reasonable a simple waggler set up fished close in. Any number of baits on offer as mentioned by others.....Keeping it simple is the key, but vary the depths you are fishing at - on the bottom, mid water or very shallow might juts find the better fish..
Lightly feed different parts of the swim with different baits and give them a try to keep yourself interested and a good chance of finding a few decent fish.

A simple days fishing, enjoying the conditions rather than worrying about them makes for a good day out, and likely as not with very few people about you might do very well.

Go with the attitude that your going to enjoy it, and to hell with the weather!!!

Oh, some good food and a hot drink also helps in wet conditions........you will feel comfortable and content.

Last edited:

shane99

Reaction score
A simple days fishing, enjoying the conditions rather than worrying about them makes for a good day out, and likely as not with very few people about you might do very well.

Go with the attitude that your going to enjoy it, and to hell with the weather!!!

Oh, some good food and a hot drink also helps in wet conditions........you will feel comfortable and content.

yes to hell with the weather ! when Im going, Im going, thats why I bought a day shelter (korum mk II) as hanging on to your brolly more than your rod is not much fun and with limited time to go I cant let the weather stop me :)

tomino2112

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips guys, I will see what I get out of it. By the way, I do not own any kind of shelter, no brolly, no bivvy etc. Just good old sailing water/windproof jacket...

Probably should get a brolly...