Hi, back fishing after seroius illness

manxnorton

Reaction score
Hello all,
used to course, and managed a few competitions...pretty pathetic btw.
then went ova to carp...enjoyed it but I was hitting myself for giving my course kit away.
tackled see fishing and a few competitions...same again pathetic! but enjoyed it.

suffered 2 stokes 2.5 years ago, damaged left side. but the time I was found (11 hrs) means my rehab is constant.
But now ready to see if I can handle a pole.
my bad arm has minimum use..about 20% but the motion is slow and robotic :eek:mg:
lol
ready if I can adapt things to live a nearly perfect hobby again.
motivated and buzzing, n cant wait to get advice etc.
must warn yous sometimes you may not understand what ive put...sorry reading writing and rational thinking went out the window 2.5 years..plus I'm a Geordie and sometimes text/type in wor lingo!:wh
was really great getting kit out of the loft and blow the cobwebs n dust off them.
messed myself though! by old fox bait alarms went off!
anyways, don't want to bores you! reckon you are already.
looking fwd to joining in with fun and banter etc. specially re-learning what I lost memory wise..
ATB
Bri

manxnorton

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the warm welcome all,
Well and truly smitten again lol
Like I said in my intro getting the old kit out of the loft and thinking again all about the hobby has given me a new motivation and lease of life so to speak.
Some aspect of the hobby, memories are still clouded and need time to remember them...but in time they'll come back!
Pole fishing a new ball game tbh! Totally new! So I'm researching the basics and taking notes (I have to this because my tiny brain struggles)
As with my old style I'll start slow, this time though buying the best I can without breaking the bank!
And if I can get away with it..in time upgrade.
Learning elastic sizes, rig sizes and hooks sizes is where I'm now!
What size pole for my first attempt is going to be fathomed out in a few weeks time, when my pal takes me fishing and using his second pole..think 3m one..not sure..I'll get the answer lol
Must say that the world of fishing has changes bit time for the disabled person and looking at some of the adaptions and aids arnt to steep as for as price..
Something I know with my disgusted when I was first Ill.
Looking forward to asking maybe obvious questions to some! But I thank you for understand my communisation problems etc.
Think I should answer certain questions about my disibilty as you'll get a picture of I can not do etc and the best way to advice me.
I can walk just! Taking my time..carrying primarily with the right hand.
My left hand and arm as I said has limited mobility as far as a robotic slow motion..my grip isn't good, for all I've exercise it 7 days a week.
I can grip but the grip isn't strong enough to continue hold.
I imaging a day of fishing with where I'm going to suss unloaded n loaded kit! How I carry the kit, peg setup and my fishing stance etc all come into cosideration and other aspects as well.
A lot to organise and read up!
Thanks for taking time for viewing and replying.
Really appreciate it.
Hope my foffle you can understand..sometimes typing a novel as I do gets too much for some people haha!
Bri

---------- Post added at 01:18 ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 ----------

Welcome to FM Manx, oh how I wish I had owned one of those bikes :)

Thx pal,
Yeahhhh I was saving up to buy one years ago whilst I done classic sidecar racing, and as I bike restorer and buying/selling old bikes..came to an end with the marriage and littleun on the way...
And being hospitalise meant that my 7 bikes had to go!! Ohh well it happens! It's what it is!! No point of winging and moaning.
But still dream lol
At the end of the day! I'm lucky to be alive so I'm grateful...smile and humour keeps me going lol
Atb
Bri

mikench

Reaction score
Good luck with your "new lease of life" and lets hope it's a long and happy one!

Keith M

Reaction score
Hi Manx, Just over a decade ago I had a stroke too which was caused by a bleed in my brain. I had just got home after giving my daughter a lift to work and was walking upstairs when I stumbled a bit, then continued up the stairs, the next thing I remember was lying on the upstairs carpet with the ambulance crew examining me I then passed out again and the next thing I knew was waking up the next day in a hospital bed, unable to feel anything down my right side and unable to talk, I knew what I wanted to say but it would just come out as complete garbage (it still does according to my wife :) ).

After a great deal of hard work and speech therapy over the next 6 to 8 months and a refusal to give up I eventually learnt how to walk and talk again and I managed to get a little feeling down my right side.
I even returned to my job as a senior software engineer (with slight changes to my desktop PC setup) and learn how to drive with slightly modified foot pedals, and I was extremely lucky to have had someone there to call an ambulance straight away.

I can only imagine how much worse your stroke had been to mine, not being found for 11 hours, and I fully respect you for trying to get back to fishing again after all of your trials and tribulations, I hope you don't have too many problems with using your fishing tackle and landing your fish.

Best of luck and don't forget to post your catch reports..

Tight lines
Keith

Last edited:

manxnorton

Reaction score
Hi Manx, Just over a decade ago I had a stroke too which was caused by a bleed in my brain. I had just got home after giving my daughter a lift to work and was walking upstairs when I stumbled a bit, then continued up the stairs, the next thing I remember was lying on the upstairs carpet with the ambulance crew examining me I then passed out again and the next thing I knew was waking up the next day in a hospital bed, unable to feel anything down my right side and unable to talk, I knew what I wanted to say but it would just come out as complete garbage (it still does according to my wife :) ).

After a great deal of hard work and speech therapy over the next 6 to 8 months and a refusal to give up I eventually learnt how to walk and talk again and I managed to get a little feeling down my right side.
I even returned to my job as a senior software engineer (with slight changes to my desktop PC setup) and learn how to drive with slightly modified foot pedals, and I was extremely lucky to have had someone there to call an ambulance straight away.

I can only imagine how much worse your stroke had been to mine, not being found for 11 hours, and I fully respect you for trying to get back to fishing again after all of your trials and tribulations, I hope you don't have too many problems with using your fishing tackle and landing your fish.

Best of luck and don't forget to post your catch reports..

Tight lines
Keith

Keith,
your ordeal bring memories flooding back....and an inspiration tbh for me that someone been though what I had.
don't know I survived the fist stroke let alone the second major one (bleeding on the brain)

anyways.....im chuffed to get started pal tbh.
motivation, determination and good old fun will get me through.
haven't even tried to see if a pole and my duff hand/arm will work!:D
one way to find out don't you think?
happy go lucky cheerful and will to learn again..:cool:
thanks again Keith, appreciate your post I'm chuffed to bit.
bri