Why lie?

iain t

Reaction score
Why do some anglers feel the need to lie?. Is it to look good, or big, for the attention.
For example, out fishing this morning, on arriving i noted only one other car in the layby. I settled down on one side of the bridge in full view of the 2 cars. I decided to fish static today rather than trotting. After about 2 and three quarters of an hour, another car parked up again in my view. Take note i could see him fishing through the bridge as i was just the other side. At the third hour, i packed up, walked over the bridge towards my car and saw the angler fishing, this was the same chap that turned up a quarter an hour ago. As i walked by i asked him "any good" his reply was "ye I've had 2 Perch at so and so weight, 3 Chub, plus weight and a bream plus weight" At no time did i see or hear him land a fish. I am 100% sure he never had a catch whilst he was there. The Perch he said he caught was in the same peg as i was fishing. I must have fallen asleep whilst he crept up and fished next to me unless he can make himself invisible and the fish seeing me be asleep must of thought it would be very quiet. I've been to Specsavers and am not going deaf.
I will not mention the river or place as i know he is a member of this forum but am sure he will recognise himself.
So why feel the need to lie.
There's no need, you're only fooling yourself and making out to be an idiot. If you blank you blank, like i did today, If it's 4lb it's 4lb and so on..

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
If you're right which I have no doubt are why does it matter.
Folk that tell porkies are only kidding themselves. OK some may swallow his exaggerations but at the end of the day they count for nothing. With him or anyone else.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Who knows, it's just a part of some folks. It's not just an angling thing.

P.S. I'm guessing that, despite the other fella being a member on here, you aren't exactly friends?

iain t

Reaction score
It just peeves me off. Gets on my nerves. He had no reason to lie but he did for an unknown reason only to him.
Perhaps it gets to me so much as i live in the real world and not fantasy land. I don't mind the odd little lie but when you know it's a blatant one, then it gets to me.
I only know him to say hello to and that he is on this forum from some of his comments on threads raised on FM.
Also perhaps it's just am too truthful for my own good. It may be the downfall of me

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Being honest Iain is a virtue! It isn't you who should be feeling bad about the lies told only the perpetrator ! Why people delude themselves I do not know. We are all liable to hyperbole on occasion and one day I will buy a decent set of scales!;)

sam vimes

Reaction score
Life's too short for such things to worry me. Some people just tell whoppers all the time. When you find this type, they seem incapable leaving anything unembellished. I try not to analyse them just nod, smile and let them get on with it. I reserve the right to s******, and occasionally fall about laughing, once they are out of earshot.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
An inability to speak the truth is just beyond the comprehension of some folk. I think it's fair to say nearly all of us tell the odd porky, it often just makes life easier but some take it to another level.

One day I'll give chapter and verse about my manager when I was a telecoms apprentice many moons ago. He just could not get out of bed in the morning and was late for work almost every day. The reasons he gave for his lateness were the works of pure fiction and worthy of a book, they were that funny and bizarre. Just one small snippet from one of his many classic tales. "I got attacked by a squirrel".

I suppose the biggest joke was the fact the company put up with it!

Keith M

Reaction score
Are you absolutely sure he hadn't caught his fish further along the river previously; before he had moved down or up stream to were you were fishing? I know this is a long chalk but it could possibly be true if so..

Otherwise he must just be one of those habitual dreamers who are really only kidding themselves and just need to get a life Lol.

Only a week ago I asked a couple of youngish guys who were fishing a small pond if they had caught anything big and one of them said that he had just caught a couple of 15lb plus Carp, his mate then said that they didn't have any scales but held his hands out about 12 inches to show me just how big the Carp were. :eek:mg: I just said "very nice" and moved on laughing very quietly to myself once they were out of earshot. They usually grow out of it but not always :)

Keith

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
He just could not get out of bed in the morning and was late for work almost every day. The reasons he gave for his lateness were the works of pure fiction and worthy of a book, they were that funny and bizarre. Just one small snippet from one of his many classic tales. "I got attacked by a squirrel".

Off topic I know but one morning I had a phone call from a bloke on my shift to say he wouldn't be in as his wife had gone to the toilet that morning and given birth she never knew she was pregnant, you can imagine my reply, turned out to have been true though.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Thankfully I rarely see other anglers but if I did I'd lie like hell - 'caught anything mate' - 'Na waste of time here, nothing doing'..........:wh

B

binka

I can't get anywhere near a two pound gudgeon for the damned six pound roach that are always getting in the way :)

Philip

Reaction score
The reasons he gave for his lateness were the works of pure fiction and worthy of a book, they were that funny and bizarre. Just one small snippet from one of his many classic tales. "I got attacked by a squirrel".

If it attacked his nuts then I recon thats worth a whole day off ..

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If it attacked his nuts then I recon thats worth a whole day off ..

I'm not sure if he did, however a few days off were noted due to an incident with a frozen pork chop.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thankfully I rarely see other anglers but if I did I'd lie like hell - 'caught anything mate' - 'Na waste of time here, nothing doing'..........:wh

Unfortunately I do see a few anglers..... just a couple of small dace at most, usually nothing at all :D.

B

binka

There's always the flip side fib too, the one where you're in a stinker of a swim and have lost six hooks on the submerged shopping trolley without so much as a bite and when the inevitable question comes up you reply...

'Yes mate it's been a cracking morning, I've had this that and the other and it's been non stop bar the last ten minutes when a big pike must have moved in'

:)