Gove it or love it?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Michael Gove has caused consternation in the fishing industry by saying that European boats will continue to be able to operate in British waters after Brexit. The Environment Secretary said EU fishermen would be allowed to catch "large amounts" because the British fleet is to small to catch them all.

The I paper 4th August.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Michael Gove has caused consternation in the fishing industry by saying that European boats will continue to be able to operate in British waters after Brexit. The Environment Secretary said EU fishermen would be allowed to catch "large amounts" because the British fleet is to small to catch them all.

The I paper 4th August.

That really is ridiculous :mad:.

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
if I get involved with this I'm going to blow a gasket so I'll stop here by saying;Gove, once an arse,always an arse,the bloke has been a failure big time.

iain t

Reaction score
Why is the British fleet too small to catch them all because of the catch rotos forced on them by the Uk government. Hence the fleet has got smaller losing money every time they go out. Least Nigel Farage was fighting for them.

browndog

Reaction score
It might be small at the moment but there could well be a lot of French and Spanish boats going cheap soon.

floatfish

Reaction score
Gove saying not only that we cannot catch the fish, but we don't have the people to gut the fish etc, to process the fish. People want good paying work, people can be trained and industry built up. We had a complete industry
before the Politicians sold them down the River on joining the E.U in the 1970's.

Gove seems to know little about anything to do with reality, and the real
world.

Philip

Reaction score
The thing that gets me is how much coverage the industry gets.

Someone may correct me here but I believe the pleasure / sport side of angling generates far more money & employees allot more people than the trawling one does yet its the trawlers that seem to always be the ones making the noise and news headlines.

If they cant catch all the fish then let us have a go. Double my 4 rod limit and I'll be hauling em in ! :D

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
It was just a little snippet but it says a lot. For one most of the commercial fishermen voted out along with Gove's wishes, talk about a stab in the back but he has form in this. And it's the must get all of the fish at all cost sort of mentality from an "Environment Minister" when the world is trying to conserve fish stocks that just shows a complete lack of understanding of his position.
Or does it!! He is not entirely stupid, supposed to be one of the great intellectual politicians of our time! I have always thought they might negotiate the fishing rights away from the beginning and this statement could be just the first of a softening us all up process for when they do.

This has all been discussed behind closed doors, I bet ya.

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
Gove has the face smacked of a wet fish and swims with the tide. Frankly I wouldn't expect anything less from a Tory.
No doubt where his allegiances lie regards LEAVE, and he very likely tells a different account of why his adoptive labour-supporting father sold his fish processing business, but there is little honest jornos around these days so who really knows..? What I do sense from his tone and wet fish expression is that he sees the fishing industry in the North/North east as not much worth bothering about. He may be right as it currently stands, but that's no talk of a true Brexiteer, that's the Tory in him speaking. Its up north see... where the roots still hold true not forgotten by those doing proper jobs. Not from any lack of recoverable fish stocks - neither from the damage done from the meagre share we receive in quotas or the incentives offered by EU Funding to buy-out fishermen to reduce fleet size. We have few resources left. Lets build this one back up.

A declining industry and skills shortages are no reason to use it as a bargaining chip in Brexit negotiations. European trawlers fishing one of the most fertile grounds - must have took its toll and - must have negatively affected our trawler-men's livelihoods. The evidence speaks for itself regards the common fisheries policy - an environmental disaster some might say. Throwing back dead fish over the quota is madness. The industry elsewhere is thriving thanks to the taking by others of what is rightfully ours.

The combined EU fishing fleets land about 6 million tonnes of fish per year, of which about 3 million tonnes are from UK waters. The UK’s share of the overall EU fishing catch is only 750,000 tonnes. (Wiki)

As for no fleet or cutters and gutters to speak of, we should buy Falklanders fish in the interim. They are desperately looking for new buyers in case they find themselves not able to sell into the rest of Europe.

Last edited:

swizzle

Reaction score
Why is the British fleet too small to catch them all because of the catch rotos forced on them by the Uk government. Hence the fleet has got smaller losing money every time they go out. Least Nigel Farage was fighting for them.

Except good old Nige didn't actually fight for them at all though. In the three years he was on the fisheries committee he attended 1 out of the 42 meetings . Also during three major votes, Mr Farage was in the building but failed to vote each time to improve the legislation.

laguna

Reaction score
Except good old Nige didn't actually fight for them at all though. In the three years he was on the fisheries committee he attended 1 out of the 42 meetings . Also during three major votes, Mr Farage was in the building but failed to vote each time to improve the legislation.
The UK has given up 100% of fishing regulation to the EU. The MPs you elect can’t do anything about it, the UK government can’t do anything about it, the MEPs are powerless to initiate any reform. No one you vote for can initiate or substantially change any CFP reform.
Hence why Farage has a poor attendance record.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
The UK has given up 100% of fishing regulation to the EU. The MPs you elect can’t do anything about it, the UK government can’t do anything about it, the MEPs are powerless to initiate any reform. No one you vote for can initiate or substantially change any CFP reform.
Hence why Farage has a poor attendance record.

But WE voted Farage in as an MEP and HE had a vote, he just chose not to represent the British people that voted him in. When Farage refused to go to meetings and discuss anything that ensured that 'our' voice would go unheard, if he had attended meetings, spoke up and nothing changed after a vote well thats democracy.

Last edited:

laguna

Reaction score
But WE voted Farage in as an MEP and HE had a vote, he just chose not to represent the British people that voted him in. When Farage refused to go to meetings and discuss anything that ensured that 'our' voice would go unheard, if he had attended meetings, spoke up and nothing changed after a vote well thats democracy.
Yes that's right we did vote him in and other MEP's but his vote counts for nothing. Apparently UKIP did send in representatives to cast their vote on his behalf but as we know their vote clearly was defeated every single time. The only thing MEP's can do, like Farage often does, is highlight the failings and show us how inadequate and useless we are against the EU's technocratic machine. The EU does not want to reform or even consider reforming , nor adopt any consideration proposed - not even for recreational bass fishing as this video illustrates which is far more lucrative than our commercial sector. Note she (Damanaki) did ask for his approval of her appointment though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUYrj-mjIu4

---------- Post added at 03:16 ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 ----------

"When Mr. Farage cannot attend a fisheries committee meeting there is always a substitute member who takes his place. So the vote we are given on the committee is used by a nominated substitute and not wasted."
Source: Hugh’s Fish Fight | Nigel Farage MEP