Thought provoking?

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
Since I seem to have been accorded this title, it seems appropriate that I ask, isn't fishing amongst the most unpredictable hobby out there involving so many factors.

For example, take a look at our most successful anglers in ''all'' branches of the sport. And it soon becomes evident that they think very deeply as regards their approach to their quarry, and are usually to be found making minor adjustments and testing out any theories they may have which they may consider thought provoking.

Which is why, rather than discuss rods, reels and line which have been exhaustively covered, I much prefer to look at the motivation/exploration side of angling. So if anything I scribble down influences anyone to take a closer look at their fishing practices, I feel that it has been worthwhile.

I am well aware that there are those who are far more erudite than me could present a far better case, but this is me warts and all.

mikench

Reaction score
Certainly Derek the multiple variables in acquiring and using fishing tackle is vastly different from , by way of example, playing golf! You buy a set of clubs , some balls and that is it! Choice of clothing , club head ( as opposed to a 10' 11' 12' rod etc) and venue are comparable to fishing!

Having selected your rod, you then have to select your reel, line , size and type of hook, hooklength material and length, method( float or feeder), choice of float feeder, rig, bait, setup on the bank, attractants, catapult/ PGA bags etc etc.

As the session draws on you may change the whole lot plus the actual tactics employed !

On reflection Derek I might take up golf!:rolleyes: