Buying second hand

mikench

Reaction score
I am thinking of the bay on this one! I am happy to buy something which I really want and cannot buy new if the price reflects the age of the item and the risks attached( buying sight unseen)! However some people seem to pay way over the odds for items. I looked at a reel which would have cost me £45 plus postage , which was 10 years old and might have been unsound! A new reel of proven ability was only £60 posted!:confused: a no brainer as far as I am concerned!

Do you feel the same?

smudger172

Reaction score
If when looking on ebay i have a limit of half retail price on second hand items. But they have to be reasonably new. A 10 year old reel would not get a bid..

thecrow

Reaction score
I think some bidders get caught up in a sort of competition with other bidders that gets out of hand and results in items going for more than they should but then something is only worth what someone is prepared to pay and if a bidder is prepared to pay over the odds to "win" the item I don't get involved in it, what little cash I have has to be spent wisely.

mikench

Reaction score
I agree. Bow out as soon as your figure has been reached is my motto too!:)

I know from friends and not connected to fishing that people will pay silly prices for utter junk!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I looked at a reel which would have cost me £45 plus postage , which was 10 years old and might have been unsound! A new reel of proven ability was only £60 posted!:confused: a no brainer as far as I am concerned!

Do you feel the same?

Yes a ten year old product maybe unsound, like buying anything used its always a gamble. But there is attraction to certain items of an age, purely because they were just so much better in terms of build quality and materials used, when things made here in the UK rather than China!

For example, I'm really enjoying fishing with a whip and would dearly like to own the best whip in the business due to its strength and minimal weight and many say the old Daiwa connoisseur Tommy Pickering whip fits that bill. The prices they command on EBay endorse that, I'll keep looking!

I'm sure the same is true of centre pins too, you just can't beat a bit of good British engineering.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think ebay is a great place to get some bargains and I have had my fair share, even from shops. You do need to have knowledge of the tackle your looking to buy though as otherwise you could be stung on price etc.
I have bought items that have turned up damaged, not as described etc but the good thing about ebay is they don't mess about and i've always got my money back once i've sent the item back.....you must remember to get a return postage sticker from the seller or from ebay before returning it as if you just pay the postage yourself you won't get it back unless the seller is a decent one.
Many years ago I used to look in the angling times and there where some great bargains in there but you had no protection as you do with ebay so it was a little more hit and miss, unless you actually went to the sellers house which was the best option.

I have bought an item from a member of FM who described the rod as being unused and immaculate but after i'd paid for it by check (a mistake) the rod turned up, it and had it had seen an awful lot of use etc etc. I sent them him rod back and he claimed it had been delivered to a neighbor and the rod wasn't in the makeshift cardboard tuby thing he'd sent it to me in. It took me about three months to get my money back from royal mail and needless to say I lost out on the postage as the scrote I dealt with didn't even have the decency to give it back to me!

I've never had a seller on ebay as bad as this character, he was a serious low life so be careful who you deal with privately and how you pay them!

B

binka

I think many pre-owned ebay items sell bafflingly close to the price of a new one.

I never get caught up in a bidding war as I'm typically a sniper who will place a single bid within the last few seconds of the auction and there's never the time for another.

Most you win, a few you lose but you never end up paying over the odds :)

It always amazes me how early on some people start bidding on an item with days left to go, all they're doing is trotting the price up before the final kill.

rayner

Reaction score
I fancied buying a Matrix bait table cover. They retail 16.99. I bid on one at ebay that eventually went for 21 quid plus postage. Ridiculous.
People must just buy items without checking the cost from shops, the same cover can be bought from Benwicks tackle for 16.99 plus 2.50 postage.

A good job really that I didn't win it because it wouldn't have fit my table.
It would have cost me for a new table the cover would fit.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Prices on ebay are, at face value, often inexplicable, regardless of what the item is, or whether it's old or new. Unless you know exactly what you are looking at, it can often be difficult to tell why a certain price may be achieved or asked.

On the face of it, it might seem barmy that many twenty year old original Stradic GTMs sell for similar, or even greater, than a brand new Stradic GTM RC. Right or wrong, many people simply value the old reels more highly than the new. People like the fact that they are made in Japan rather than Malaysia and believe that the old ones are higher quality. I own the former, but no longer use them. I'm happy that they are better quality than their modern equivalents, but certain parts are now unobtainable. However, I wouldn't buy either reel, inflated price or not.

It's not always the case, but a reasonable new reel at £50 quid might not be a patch on an old reel at £60. Yes, you have a distinct lack of guarantee. You may no longer be able to get parts and it may not be in as good condition as you'd like. You pay your money and take your choice.

Caveat Emptor. Do your research, know what you are looking at and avoid mad bidding wars. It actually matters little whether the item is new or second hand.

Last edited:
B

binka

I fancied buying a Matrix bait table cover. They retail 16.99. I bid on one at ebay that eventually went for 21 quid plus postage. Ridiculous.
People must just buy items without checking the cost from shops, the same cover can be bought from Benwicks tackle for 16.99 plus 2.50 postage.

A good job really that I didn't win it because it wouldn't have fit my table.
It would have cost me for a new table the cover would fit.

Would a Preston bait brolley be any good to you rayner?

I found one in good nick, left behind on a day ticket stretch of river last year and I can post it on to you if so and you're willing to cover the postage?

I think it will likely be about four quid to post.

thecrow

Reaction score
I get all my beads and swivels from e bay along with PVA hair stops and loads of other small items, ok some I might have to wait for them to come from China but at the price they are I don't mind.

Best buy from e bay were my Daiwa Emcast BR 4000A reels at a few pence under £100, both brand new and unused.

dicky123

Reaction score
I love the word RARE. It seems to apply to almost anything over 5 years old these days.

Rare Drennan tench rod 12'.9'' £100 new will take £89 plus postage? What?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I love the word RARE. It seems to apply to almost anything over 5 years old these days.

Rare Drennan tench rod 12'.9'' £100 new will take £89 plus postage? What?

If it's brand spanking then it will be rare ;). If it was brand new and you wanted one then £89 plus post is a good price considering how much they cost new back in the shops when new.
It's the same with a lot of quality tackle that's now discontinued...when they first came out they would have sold for the full rrp, don't forget years ago drennan where very strict on the rrp and shops weren't allowed to give any discount on their stuff. After a while when gear is discontinued...the Hardy coarse rods for example, they're sold off at discounted prices by the shops and once they've all gone and people realise how good they where they all clamber to get one and the second hand value rockets very often being greater than the original RRP! I think that scenario is across the board covering all manner of items not just angling equipment.

nottskev

Reaction score
you just can't beat a bit of good British engineering.

Or Japanese!

If you don't really fancy the rods and reels in the shops at the moment, Ebay is a good place to find the ones you do. In my case, Shimano items from the 90's.
Yes, finding good ones needs a bit of care and judgement, but good ones are not hard to find as they had the quality to last.

Spares for reels could be an issue, but has yet to arise. Every now and then, I take a bunch of reels, 20 years + old, to a guy in a big local tackle shop who knows his stuff and indeed worked for Shimano for a while. The reels have passed this mot every time with nothing needing replacement. Why would I buy new reels of unproven worth for higher prices?

Rods? I bought a float rod by the same company from Ebay last year which wasn't cheap; I could have had, for less, a new example of ...let's call it a very popular and much-discussed rod. But I'd already had one for 20+ years and it had proved a faultless pleasure to use, and I wanted a spare against the day some accident befalls it.

Second-hand is often my choice, as the market seems to demand a new and different model every year, and if a company "perfects" an item, due to a happy combination of design, materials and quality control, the change can only go in one direction.

Last edited:

PH

Reaction score
Although I’ve occasionally looked at things on e-bay over the years, I’ve never bought or even bid for anything. I have been tempted but it’s just been things I think I’d like but never anything I needed, at the time.
However, my daughter has just informed me that she has bought a “complete set” of second hand tackle that I had seen on the internet and asked her to check out for me, because the seller was in Nottingham, where she lives. I have no idea, and will not know until I get back to the UK at the end of the month, exactly what I’ve bought. But……………..it looked good on the pictures and (never mind the quality, feel the width) it’s supposed to have 7 rods, 4 reels, rod rests, landing nets, brolley, chair and hundreds of misc. bits and pieces.
I’m not a Yorkshireman, or Scotsman, but do like a bargain and hope I’ve found one. :)

rayner

Reaction score
Would a Preston bait brolley be any good to you rayner?

I found one in good nick, left behind on a day ticket stretch of river last year and I can post it on to you if so and you're willing to cover the postage?

I think it will likely be about four quid to post.

Thanks that's a very generous offer I will take up.

B

binka

Thanks that's a very generous offer I will take up.

No Problem at all, i'll check the cost of posting and send you a pm to check you're happy to cover it.

I sold quite a bit of gear through Ebay earlier this year and I've got a rough idea, I'm pretty sure it will be around £4.60'ish.

I had an awful feeling whilst out earlier that I might have got rid of it during the same clear out but I've just checked and it's still there :)

shane99

Reaction score
I have a mate in the tackle trade & the trend seems to be retro tackle, there is a big market for old style carp equipment with canvas bivies being very much in demand, will this trend go over to lighter course tackle if not already ?

B

binka

will this trend go over to lighter course tackle if not already ?

I think the trend for lighter, more general retro coarse gear has been strong for a long time.

I keep a weather eye on some of the stuff I see going through and there seems to be no shortage in demand, especially for things like notable 'pins and floats.

Philip

Reaction score
Aside from Ebay I have picked up some good bargains from car boot sales..the advantage of course being you can actually pick up and see what your about to buy. The biggest problem for me is I cant resist a bargain and if I see something I know is under priced I will buy it even if I don't need it.