Waterman?

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I thought he was an angling author and photographer. No idea he was a historian. And the usual definition of a waterman is someone who makes his living from ferrying passengers on a river. Does he do that?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Reading his personal history he seems to have done most things, or at least a great deal more than most, so he may well have rowed up rivers in his time....
I hadn't noticed the programme before you mentioned it, but I will have a looksee and give him every chance, but in the past his TV manner has met with derision from many folk....
He seems to be involved in taking parties to all parts of Europe at the moment, so he keeps himself busy and earning a crust.

A pretty impressive fisherman in my book..

ps Historian? Not too sure about that!

B

binka

I suspect 'waterman' is very much in this context an adapted meaning of the original interpretation, very much like countryman in combining a general association with someone.

I always thought of John Bailey as being far too posh for earthy coarse type of fishing but having met him last year I came away thinking he was a very nice chap.

nottskev

Reaction score
I suspect 'waterman' is very much in this context an adapted meaning of the original interpretation, very much like countryman in combining a general association with someone.

I always thought of John Bailey as being far too posh for earthy coarse type of fishing but having met him last year I came away thinking he was a very nice chap.

I second that. He has a rather patrician "trout and salmon" manner, but I don't hold that against him. I warmed to him when he gave a talk at a barbel society conference which expressed a love of the spirit of angling - there were plenty of others doing the "how I catch my big fish" stuff. When he described a regular, gruelling routine he'd followed for scaring off dawn-raiding cormorants from his beloved river, I was ashamed to reflect that the best I'd done was moan about them.
I had a quick chat after his talk to express appreciation, and I found him gracious, unlike some of the angling celebrities who are generally looking over your shoulder for someone more important.

The bad one

Reaction score
Seriously guys how can Bailey be posh he's a Manc! Never met a posh Manc ever, met plenty pretending to be posh and trying to get above themselves until they meet a fellow Manc, who'll always bang em' down to earth again :D:D

dicky123

Reaction score
I know John from long ago, when he lived in the Mill House in Norwich. He and John Wilson had a love hate relationship.

He taught at a private school when I knew him (classics and history if I remember), and was in the local specimen fishing group. John Wilson always suggested John was a bit fanciful in his claims of catching, however he did catch a lot of big roach, as many of us did from the Wensum in those days.

His writing is a bit too rosy for me but none the less he is a character with a few good books to his credit. Always a gentlemen too.

mikench

Reaction score
Seriously guys how can Bailey be posh he's a Manc! Never met a posh Manc ever, met plenty pretending to be posh and trying to get above themselves until they meet a fellow Manc, who'll always bang em' down to earth again :D:D

Much depends on whether one is a Didsbury Manc or a Clayton one!:rolleyes:

Nobby C (ACA)

Reaction score
Well does he eat barm cakes or bisquits? That sorts out the boys from the nobs. I always thought he was a bit droney and posh but it sounds like I am wrong. Good for him for dealing with issues as opposed to grumbling.
PS: I think waterman and countryman are a bit pompous.

theartist

Reaction score
John Bailey is a thinking angler, he spends time watching fish and talking about their behaviour, I like that but are we missing the point here - It's on the BBC so are they going to refer to him as an angler. Is there much fishing on the programme? Is this a channel that shows many fishing programmes of late?

dicky123

Reaction score
People like to put others in little compartments these days. Waterman conjoins up for me, someone that lives and works by the river. But really it means an oarsman in fact.

He's? Or She's a legend. What does that mean? In my book King Arthur was a legend.??>>>:eek:mg:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Not a big Bailey fan personally. Struck me as a sort of failed wandering minstrel type and a bit too poetic for my liking. I'm sure he's a very nice bloke but way too dreamy for me.

And however you define the term "waterman" he most certainly is not. He'll be poshing up and wanting a middle initial next.

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Waterman....sounds like a serious firkin illness to me :eek: