Normal pellets?

rich4930

Reaction score
In assorted YouTube videos I'm always hearing about using 'normal' feed pellets. Now, I kind of know what's meant and Skrettins is the name that usually crops up. My problem though is that I live in Germany and Skrettins don't seem to've found their way here yet.

When I search Amazon for pellets, I get the usual array of halibut/marine pellets, maize pellets or pellets for garden ponds (expensive), but I can't seem to find anything like the basic feed pellets that you guys use in the uk.

So I could just ask in a German forum, where I can get 'normal' pellets, but I know EXACTLY the answer I'll get. So that's why I'm asking it here first - what ARE normal pellets? ;-)

Put another way, those beige coloured pellets you get from Skrettins, what are they made from?

Or alternatively again, what kind of pellets can I look for instead? I recently found horse feed pellets which seemed to contain the right type of ingredients (eg. hemp, molasses) but they were 10mm. Would be good to find something max 5mm. Or isn't size such an issue, because they break down quicker than oil based pellets?

Appreciate any help

sam vimes

Reaction score
What constitutes a normal pellet will largely depend on who you are asking. However, within the UK match/commercial fishery scene, I'd suggest that they usually mean standard low oil carp/coarse pellets (fishmeal).

Skrettings and Coppens are the main (only?) players in the UK market. Most of the UK bait companies buy their pellets and rebadge/rebrand them. Some will further coat a standard pellet in colourings and flavourings.

mikench

Reaction score
I am sure you can buy some "normal " pellets from the bay or Amazon.de!

I bought some abnormal pellets, "extreme garlic and krill" and boy do they stink. If I don't use them soon they will be binned as the smell is horrible!:)

laguna

Reaction score
Normal feed pellets are (normally) sinking fishmeal pellets.

Course pellets are the same as 'normal' (normally :D

How about this then?
hey Chris mate, I know you sell coarse pellets but do you have any smooth ones please?

seriously!! :eek:mg:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone know why trout pellets got banned, was it because trout stocks where being depleted :)....seriously though, does anyone know why they where banned?
Someone once told me but i've forgotten now.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Does anyone know why trout pellets got banned, was it because trout stocks where being depleted :)....seriously though, does anyone know why they where banned?
Someone once told me but i've forgotten now.

Trout pellets aren't banned, still manufactured and used by the ton. However, much like halibut pellets they have a high oil content. Many coarse fisheries, especially commercials, ban their use because they aren't particularly good for the long term health of coarse fish.

https://www.coppens.com/en/feed-programs/industrial/trout

https://www.skrettingfishfeeds.co.uk/shop/view/10_Angling/6_Elite_FR

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Trout pellets aren't banned, still manufactured and used by the ton. However, much like halibut pellets they have a high oil content. Many coarse fisheries, especially commercials, ban their use because they aren't particularly good for the long term health of coarse fish.

https://www.coppens.com/en/feed-programs/industrial/trout

https://www.skrettingfishfeeds.co.uk/shop/view/10_Angling/6_Elite_FR

The local tackle shop told me they'd been banned and my m8 who works for the canals and river trust said they'd been banned, thinking about it they said the reason for the ban was same as you've just said it was unhealthy for coarse fish. Obviously they where made to feed farmed trout.

rich4930

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Fishmeal, good that's the bit of info I needed. Now I know what to look for.

It's still not easy though, doesn't seem to be the market for them here, which probably the reason the Skrettings don't have distributors here, as they do in other countries. Fishing culture is different here Even searching Amazon and other online tackle shops for Fishmeal pellets (Fischmehl) I get 90% halibut pellets (carp fishing), about 8% corn/maize pellets (fast breakdown) and only about 1 in 50 results seems to me remotely similar to fishmeal and usually fancy prepacked things for about a million euros per kilo.

But thanks all of you, I know what to look out for now, can ask locally. You can't even buy red maggots or casters here though, but aisle upon aisle of soft plastic lures

laguna

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Fishmeal, good that's the bit of info I needed. Now I know what to look for.

It's still not easy though, doesn't seem to be the market for them here, which probably the reason the Skrettings don't have distributors here, as they do in other countries. Fishing culture is different here Even searching Amazon and other online tackle shops for Fishmeal pellets (Fischmehl) I get 90% halibut pellets (carp fishing), about 8% corn/maize pellets (fast breakdown) and only about 1 in 50 results seems to me remotely similar to fishmeal and usually fancy prepacked things for about a million euros per kilo.

But thanks all of you, I know what to look out for now, can ask locally. You can't even buy red maggots or casters here though, but aisle upon aisle of soft plastic lures
Germany imposes very strict import restrictions on animal foodstuff or derivatives, hence why you probably don't see them.
Do you have any UK friends visit you? It is permitted to bring in fish/fish products up to 20 kg or the weight of one fish (whichever weight is the highest) per person brought in as personal travellers luggage.

sam vimes

Reaction score

Coppens are an international company, their R&D and HQ are in Holland, near Eindhoven. However their factory is just over the border in Germany. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't get their products in Germany, even if not from tackle shops. Might be worth contacting them directly. https://www.coppens.com/en/contact

rich4930

Reaction score
I'll try. Cheers!

--
Bingo!! Found 'em (Amazon)!! Thanks a lot

Last edited:

robcourt82

Reaction score
Mainlines response pellet should be readily available in Germany. Maybe a bit pricier than a normal pellet but its an option if you're struggling.

rich4930

Reaction score
Thanks, yeah, can get those. I think they've even got them in my tackle shop, but you're right... a bit pricier is to say the least. ;) I was specifically looking for a basic low cost pellet, and Coppens is my friend.