Spade ends.

dicky123

Reaction score
I'd use spate hooks more if they were not so troublesome to tie. Notice I didn't say difficult.

I recently brought a new type from Drennan that you need three hands to use. Normally I simply use my hands, but my eyes are not too good either.

But I've seen an excellent way on Youtube ''whipping a spade end fishing hook''

I think this may have solved my problems, as I always carry a large set of unhooking forceps. Plus it only demands one pair of hands.

I like this guys.

mikench

Reaction score
Great vid Greenie and I reckon i could do that in bright light, sat at the table and with my wits about me! Sadly i am a lazy *** and will continue to buy hooks to nylon or my current favourites, Korum pellet band hair rig hooks which I just have to tie my main line or hooklength to:)

greenie62

Reaction score
Logged on to Youtube - Searched their site for the title you'd given - when it supplies the video click on the location bar (the http: bit)
- this highlights it - press [ctrl]C - to copy the address
- go back to the post 'Reply to Thread' where you're replying
- in the top of the Message Box there's a 'link symbol' button
- click on this and it'll give a box starting 'http:'
- click [ctrl]V - it should paste in the address of the site of the video.
Voila!

If anyone can think of a better way of doing it - or explaining it - please contribute! :) We can all learn - or share!:)

sam vimes

Reaction score
I recently brought a new type from Drennan that you need three hands to use.

Two hands and a pair of legs do the trick. It can't be that difficult if I can manage to use it on the bank, especially as I don't usually take a chair.
Put you spool of line between your thighs/knees. Hook tyer in you left hand and the end of you line in your right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB_sTkYRrqc

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Two hands and a pair of legs do the trick.

How do you use your legs then Chris :confused:. I'm picturing you on your back like a turtle with your hands and feet working in unison.

I just use me hands, hold the line and hook in between my finger and thumb of one hand and wrap the line with the other, shuv the tag through the loop and bob yer uncle :cool: :w.

dicky123

Reaction score
Sam.

When I brought it I watched that video Sam, and still it's like rubbing your belly, and scratching your balls all at the same time? For me anyway, The one I showed I CAN do.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sam.

When I brought it I watched that video Sam, and still it's like rubbing your belly, and scratching your balls all at the same time? For me anyway, The one I showed I CAN do.

Honestly, it's just a question of practice and technique. I use the Drennan on the bank, without a chair. I'm under no illusion that I'm especially dexterous.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Watch the linked video, all will be revealed.

Yeah, i've seen that a few years back, i'm still sweating from watching it back then !

---------- Post added at 15:02 ---------- Previous post was at 15:00 ----------

Sam.

I do think the one with the forceps is a easier looking operatin but they both look like hard work, i'll just stick to my fingers and thumbs for new ;).

Reaction score
:D I find it amazing,I can tie spades with any hook tyer(i've had 4 sorts)and I have sausages for fingers,i've made 2 aluminium versions of the matchman probably more than twenty years ago,the video is excellent,but looking at this thread I must be very fortunate as I tie hooks down to 26's with no problem...

B

binka

I've tried the Matchman and returned to manual, it was an abandoned experiment in case I need it in later years when my fingers are less nimble.

Been tying 22's fairly recently with no problems at all but I do prefer the line to the spool to be under some tension, usually by trapping it under my leg.

Anything smaller than a 22 and I will likely consider that I shouldn't be there in the first place :)

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Logged on to Youtube - Searched their site for the title you'd given - when it supplies the video click on the location bar (the http: bit)
- this highlights it - press [ctrl]C - to copy the address
- go back to the post 'Reply to Thread' where you're replying
- in the top of the Message Box there's a 'link symbol' button
- click on this and it'll give a box starting 'http:'
- click [ctrl]V - it should paste in the address of the site of the video.
Voila!

If anyone can think of a better way of doing it - or explaining it - please contribute! :) We can all learn - or share!:)
All i ever do is use the cut and paste facilitie of the mouse put the mouse cursor at the end of the browser URL bar hold the right mouse button down move mouse the the start of the text you want release mouse button go to where tet is wanted hit left and right mouse buttons togetjer bingo pasted sholud work on windows this is a Linux Machine using Firefox Browser .

PG ...

robertroach

Reaction score
I tie my hook length to the mainline first then tie the hook while the line is under a small amount of tension to the rod tip.

I tried a hooktier a couple of years ago but couldn't get on with it at all. Maybe if I had persevered I could have made it work.

But I find it's easier with fingers and thumbs. Hold the loop and hook in your left thumb and 1st finger with tension on the line. Wind 8 turns with your right hand, holding the line tight at each turn with your left 3rd and 4th fingers, then pop the tag end through the loop and tighten. Takes about 15 seconds. Hard to explain, though. If I was any good at technology I would post a video and all would become clear.

If anyone sends me an SAE I'll gladly send the matchman jobbie to them!

Reaction score
Only five turns for me and I have the line under pressure,either from being tied to the hooklink from the mainline,or just using using my right hand to tension the line(pressed against my palm,I think???)

edsurf

Reaction score
I've tried the Matchman and returned to manual, it was an abandoned experiment in case I need it in later years when my fingers are less nimble.

Been tying 22's fairly recently with no problems at all but I do prefer the line to the spool to be under some tension, usually by trapping it under my leg.

Anything smaller than a 22 and I will likely consider that I shouldn't be there in the first place :)

I did the same , thought I would need one when fingers and eyes struggled , can tie them faster and better with my hands.

Reaction score
Trouble is as many have stated,they cannot get to grips with a hook tyer,let alone their fingers,interesting you say you can tie them quicker by hand mind,I take it you're a brain surgeon by trade...:)

Size 22's are a gaff when fishing single squat on the 'cut' Steve....

Last edited: