Spodding and accuracy

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Going to start having a go spodding bait out for tench fishing .

I have got a mini spod would a 2.75 cheap carp rod do loaded with 12lb line or would I need a shock leader ?

Once I have decided where I'm going to fish and clipped up and set my marker sticks out . Do I count the exact amount of wraps on marker sticks with the spod rod as I have heard you do slightly less as the lead/ feeder drops down into water and with a spod just hits the surface so further out ?

Or is that not the case ?

Thanks in advance

robtherake

Reaction score
It works for me, as long as you aren't expecting to top about 40yds. Braid is better, but I used 12lb mono for years without any problem.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I'm not a long distance caster but it's just getting small pellets , hemp corn etc at further range when hard to catipult out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robtherake

Reaction score
I use an old Wychwood 2.75lb rod and a Gardner Pocket Rocket. The only problem I've come across is that the loaded spod isn't quite heavy enough to cut through a brisk cross-wind, with accuracy and distance suffering as a result. Using braid helps - a spool of cheapo Ebay braid will only cost a tenner or so. Most times the setup works fine and even with such a small payload it doesn't take long to get a decent bed of bait out there.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Or would it be worth going Upto 15lb and use a midi spod and only fill up halfway?

carpinbob

Reaction score
I usually reduce the number of wraps when spodding. i.e. Marker 6 wraps spod 5 1/2 wraps .

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Cheers bob , so 1/2 rod length shorter but don't that depend on depth of water with how much swing back of feeder / lead once hit clip ?

robcourt82

Reaction score
I'm not a big believer in the swing back theory. I can see the theory but I think it only matters at short range and in deep water, the further out you fish and the shallower the water the less swing there will be. Also, when you cast the spod the bait doesn't fall straight out. You may need to give it a little flick and that will draw some bait back towards you.
I honestly wouldn't worry yourself about it, carp anglers like to make it sound more difficult than it really is and each new wannabe has to come up with something to get their name in the magazines!

flightliner

Reaction score
I,m using a spomb most times out just now.the mid sized one that's black. It's taking one and a half tangerine sized balls of groundbait to some forty five metres using a two point five tc carp rod with fifteen pound mono- further if filled with lighter feed if required.
Casting is normal but once well in flight I bring the rod back to near vertical - the quadrant equivalent line added before clipping up this helps eliminate the non opening of the spomb when the clip is reached that can help "pull" the spomb back a little so it hits the water horizontal and not vertical so it fails to deliver its contents.
.Not a bait rocket I know but the methodology is about the same.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Thanks guys , gives me a good idea . Now to go buy a cheapy carp rod

thecrow

Reaction score
I have trouble visualising what actually happens when a spod hits the water, obviously some of its contents will spill out on contact with the water but if this "swing back" really happens the contents will be spread in lines as the spod empties possibly spreading its contents over a wider area than the angler realises although I have never had a spod that sank just popped to the surface and emptied what was left in it so how this swing back theory works I have no idea. Swimfeeders however are a different thing.

Undertow on large waters can imo also affect how the spods contents are spread out, the deeper the swim the more time the undertow has to affect the freebies.

Imo spreading freebies is no bad thing giving a larger area for fish to feed confidently in without being spooked by a hooked fish that can happen with smaller patches of freebies

associatedmatt

Reaction score
What about a Spomb rather than a spod as when contacts the water emptys the bait straight away

thecrow

Reaction score
Just the same only more reliable imo, spods do not sink far they are made to pop back up emptying their contents as they do, imo spombs are a much better option than a spod.

Who came up with this "swing back" theory?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the theoretical differences between rig placement and the fall of bait from the surface. Unless you are fishing big distances and significant depths, it's not worth worrying about.

terry m

Reaction score
I have found that Spodding, especially at distance is a skill that significantly improves with practice. Accuracy, consistently hitting the clip, and ideally feathering the last five metres to allow the spod to lay in the water rather than crash in.

I find Spombs easier. I also found that things improved once I got hold of a proper spod rod and reel (with braid). Normal carp rods are OK for small spods, short to medium distance, but large spombs launched any real distance will benefit from the proper tools.

flightliner

Reaction score
Some of the carp anglers I see on my current water leave me a bit gobsmacked at the distances and accuracy they achieve with their "spombing" skills Terry.
Great to see!

terry m

Reaction score
Indeed, I once witnessed, at distance, an individual consistently dropping a spod at what I would guess to be ~150 yards, time after time. The pit was 67acres!