Exuding maggots

sam vimes

Reaction score
Keep maggots dry in maize meal or bran for any length of time and you'll find something akin to spider web with trapped particles in it. Am I right to think that the maggots must be exuding/excreting this stuff? Anyone know exactly what it is?

trotter2

Reaction score
I thought it was just the maggots sweating which was causing the bran or sawdust to stick together?

sam vimes

Reaction score
I thought it was just the maggots sweating which was causing the bran or sawdust to stick together?

What I'm talking about isn't even moist. Definitely not down to sweating. It's more like a cobweb with small dry bits of maize/bran stuck to it.

413508171.jpg

Last edited:

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
My guess is that it would be fungal hyphae - threads of mould feeding on the maggot poop and/or dampened bran/meal, but I don't have access to a lab any more to check.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've seen that stuff loads of times, i've never really taken any notice of it, it just gets lobbed in the swim with the maggots !

sam vimes

Reaction score
My guess is that it would be fungal hyphae - threads of mould feeding on the maggot poop and/or dampened bran/meal, but I don't have access to a lab any more to check.

Interesting. Do maggots definitely defecate? My knowledge of such things is rather limited, but I was under the impression that some insect larvae, particularly those with a normally short larval stage, did little but eat, pupate and metamorphose.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Interesting. Do maggots definitely defecate? My knowledge of such things is rather limited, but I was under the impression that some insect larvae, particularly those with a normally short larval stage, did little but eat, pupate and metamorphose.

I think everything that eats has a shyt Chris lol.

sam vimes

Reaction score
its some sort of moth larvae that forms a soft cocoon around itself, and eventually the moth emerges.

Another interesting one, but there's nothing in the middle of the mass. Pretty certain that there's no larvae or chrysalis, unless it's the size of a piece of bran.

---------- Post added at 22:30 ---------- Previous post was at 22:29 ----------

I think everything that eats has a shyt Chris lol.

Eventually.

dave m

Reaction score
Another interesting one, but there's nothing in the middle of the mass. Pretty certain that there's no larvae or chrysalis, unless it's the size of a piece of bran.

---------- Post added at 22:30 ---------- Previous post was at 22:29 ----------

Eventually.

its probably already come out and flown off, whats left is the silk holding some dust together.

i used to get these little bundles of certain bait ingredients and if i squashed them they went a bit wet as a bug got squished. if i sieved the ingredients i could sometimes find the little larae, like very slim maggots.
i was always very careful to store all the ingredients in separate sealable buckets so i know the larvae or eggs were already in the sacks when collected from the feed merchants.

sam vimes

Reaction score
its probably already come out and flown off, whats left is the silk holding some dust together.

Still dubious. I've never seen evidence of the moth in the fridge/baitbox. The substance isn't regular enough to be any kind of cocoon I've encountered before. The picture is of a fairly big lump, but it's gossamer thin. It starts as smaller bits that tends to coalesce with the action of the maggots moving.

trotter2

Reaction score
No idea I usually just riddle that sh_t off and put some fresh sawdust in .

fishplate42

Reaction score
I am no biologist but I am fairly sure it is the mycelium of the toxic (if ingested) fungus that forms rapidly in rice and bran if left damp at room temperature for any length of time. This is why you should not keep cooked rice left-overs at room temperature if intended to be eaten at a later date.

Ralph.

Philip

Reaction score
I also get the impression its the bran rather than the maggots that is causing it but I certainly dont claim any sort of indepth knowledge on the subject !

rayner

Reaction score
Seen this many times, I just pick it out and drop it on the bank. Never really given it a thought before or now.