Old book with Graham Marsden in it.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Browsing a book store a few days ago spotted an old book with Pictures of Graham Marsden in it, an old pal of Mark Wintle I believe. I cannot remember the name now, big blue hard cover, three sections on sea fly and coarse, Graham taking the coarse section, looked very young, must have been 60's.

An old Woolworth’s book as well on fishing, must have been 60's, a bit brown stained so I left it but Woolworths, loved them.

Ended up buying a book "Secrets of Fly-Fishing for Trout" by Ian Ball in the "Right Way" series. Never heard of them or Ian Ball; date-MCMXCV111, must be Roman but anyone idea of what that means? However, I loved the pen and ink drawings; badly done but thats the charm..

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Browsing a book store a few days ago spotted an old book with Pictures of Graham Marsden in it, an old pal of Mark Wintle I believe. I cannot remember the name now, big blue hard cover, three sections on sea fly and coarse, Graham taking the coarse section, looked very young, must have been 60's.

An old Woolworth’s book as well on fishing, must have been 60's, a bit brown stained so I left it but Woolworths, loved them.

Ended up buying a book "Secrets of Fly-Fishing for Trout" by Ian Ball in the "Right Way" series. Never heard of them or Ian Ball; date-MCMXCV111, must be Roman but anyone idea of what that means? However, I loved the pen and ink drawings; badly done but thats the charm..

The Marsden book is 'The Complete Fisherman'.

flightliner

Reaction score
Small world Mark but only the other day I was handling a pair of rods that were made for and owned by Graham Marsden.
A week earlier I received a phone call from an angler I barely knew who offered me a publication/ book that he thought would be of interest to me, lots of anglers featured inside including Graham Marsden:)

barbelboi

Reaction score
Remember this Mick....................:)

landsend.jpg

flightliner

Reaction score
Remember this Mick....................:)

landsend.jpg

Yes Gerry, remember it well, I did a car share with Mike Townsend all the way down to the lands end pub near Reading for the launch of Mark Wintles book Big Roach (2).
We had a good chat , I really enjoyed meeting up with you, Mark, Neil Maidment and lots of others :w
We heard about the stranded car and went outside for a looksee.There were signs posted saying the river was flooded but apparently some silly woman had ignored them and drove into the waters with two small kids in the back and was stranded, it could have been a tragedy but for the rescue services! :eek:mg:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Small world Mark but only the other day I was handling a pair of rods that were made for and owned by Graham Marsden.
A week earlier I received a phone call from an angler I barely knew who offered me a publication/ book that he thought would be of interest to me, lots of anglers featured inside including Graham Marsden:)
I have never met anyone Flight which is weird as I have done quite a lot of traveling and fishing over the years but, pre forum days I wouldn't have heard of most of them. Also, often when in an old bookshop I ask for any on fishing and I have only been doing that for about 5 years or so. Its been a nice learning time for me and got to appreciate more all that's gone on before. These dedicated anglers from all eras still have a lot to offer. And some of these old books convey a charm that you wouldn't get from digital. I think some of the charm of the authors comes through in a book for some reason. I imagine it must be the same with owning one of their rods, but in a funny way, I don't think I would like to fish with one; not sure why but, their books are always worth owning/reading I find.
One day all books are just going to be a digital blur, finding them in old bookshops, dodgy pen and ink drawings, brown spots and all, something nice about it.
I like it when the old book store owner says, "yes I have a few" and takes me to some forgotten corner of the store, what will I find. Fishing for forgotten treasures.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Markg . . . .

Graham Marsden and Mark Wintle co-authored a few books together . . . Barbel fishing, Carp Fishing and Pole fishing too.

Graham Marsden's book Angling Essays is well worth getting hold of too, as are both of Mark W's Roach books