Shimano reel problem

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I have a Shimano baitrunner Aero. The ratchet doesn't work when line is pulled although the drag works, engage the baitrunner and the ratchet does work.

Any clues chaps?

sam vimes

Reaction score
There's no ratchet, as such, on a fixed spool reel. Do you mean that there's no audible click?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There's no ratchet, as such, on a fixed spool reel. Do you mean that there's no audible click?

Thanks Sam (no button needed), I was struggling to describe it properly, yes the audible click.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Take the spool off and check the clicker (small blade of sprung metal). They have been known to break and wear. Some models are worse than others. In some cases it can be the small cog on the shaft of the reel that fails to engage with the clicker properly.
413515849.jpg

As far as I'm aware, this is only applicable to front drag Shimanos. Rear drag models produce the audible click in a different way.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What I'm struggling to understand is the fact it works perfectly when the baitrunner is engaged:confused:

chrissh

Reaction score
The audible click is made by a finger inside the spool that runs on the cog on the centre spindle of the reel, try the spare spool to see if works

bullet

Reaction score
The baitrunner has a seperate clicker to the spool as it allows the whole shaft to rotate, therefore the spool is not actually spinning on the shaft, thus meaning a separate clicker to the spool is making the noise. It must be the spring or small cog under the spool.
The shaft has a small cog and spring at the back of the reel inside the casing which makes the clicking sound for the baitrunner or rear drag reels.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
What I'm struggling to understand is the fact it works perfectly when the baitrunner is engaged:confused:

The sound from the baitrunner function (essentially a rear drag) is usually produced by a clicker that's internal to the rear part of the reel. It's entirely independent of the noise of the front drag produced by the sprung metal bit which is part of the spool.

---------- Post added at 12:36 ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 ----------

I have a Shimano baitrunner Aero.

Which model exactly? You really need to clarify. Much of what you are being told is only applicable to front drag reels. A rear drag Shimano baitrunner will not have the sprung metal bit inside the spool. Nor will it have the cog on the shaft that the spool fits to.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's a front drag reel, I'll check tonight when I get home exactly what model it is.

Good idea to try the spare spool, hadn't thought of the obvious.:eek:mg:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The audible click is made by a finger inside the spool that runs on the cog on the centre spindle of the reel, try the spare spool to see if works

Well done.:thumbs: put the other spool on and it worked perfectly, but examining both spools closely I could not detect why one works and one doesn't. Putting the spool on the reel upside down provided the answer. It is indeed wear on the finger, so minimal (a few thou) but enough not to engage with the cog.

Can you spot the worn one?

3Vy6aVO.jpg

Wonder how easy it will be to get a new finger from Shimano, my next task.

chrissh

Reaction score
Well done.:thumbs: put the other spool on and it worked perfectly, but examining both spools closely I could not detect why one works and one doesn't. Putting the spool on the reel upside down provided the answer. It is indeed wear on the finger, so minimal (a few thou) but enough not to engage with the cog.

Can you spot the worn one?

3Vy6aVO.jpg

Wonder how easy it will be to get a new finger from Shimano, my next task.

Give shimano service centre a call for the parts you need for the spool

Shimano After Sales UK

Unit J25 Ashmount Business Park

Swansea,

United Kingdom

SA6 8QR

Tel: 01792 796584

www.shimanoaftersales.co.uk