which head torch

Reaction score
I am fed up with buying diffrent head torchs my newest one only turns on when it wonts too . And then I have to take it apparts when I turn the thing off . So should I buy A petzl ( if so which one ) or is there any other good ones on the market ? I am fed up buying ones that only last a few mounths . Please help

E

EC

Brendan I have a Petzl zipka. It's decent for close up work, and has 3 lamp settings which is really economical with batteries.

However the one I use most of all is the energiser. This has 2 white leds and also a red led which is better for retaining night vision,it is also more powerful spot lamp, and better than the zipka if you want to see distance.

For the money the energiser is the better buy, howeverI broke a tiny piece off the back platewhen replacing the batteries and as yet haven't had a reply off the manufacturers with regards a replacement, so aftersales doesn't look too good at this point. The energiser is easier to knock on when in your pocket, so when not in use I take one battery out.

W

Wolfman Woody

Interesting you should say that Eddie.

I have the standard Tikka with 3 LEDs and it's more than bright enough, no red LEDs or filters either. However, the casing on mine broke when I probably put too much pressure on it when trying to get batteries inside it, a fiddly job in normal light, but impossible on the bank in the darkness.

I emailed the importers and they said to take it back to the shop who would send it back to them for a "report". Of course, then 'd have to find the receipt, which long since disappeared I'm sure.

Is your Energizer lamp the 3 or the 6 LED and what are the switch positions? They do look good and mine goes into my bag always so maybe not a problem it switching on - they're rechargeables anyway.

C

Cakey

I still use a tea candle in a half blacked jam jar .........................

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Buy cheaper buy three times.

I have a petzl, great light for close work and has a handy Red screen that can be flipped down over the lamp.

Reaction score
Just bought a MAGlight 7 LED's for £4.99 with adjustable head strap.

Press once for 1 LED, twice for 3 LED, three times for all 7 LED (very bright) and once more for "flashing LED" - dont know what the hell a flashing LED is gonna do but its a great bargain at the price.

ozone%20II.jpg

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Baz (Angel of the North) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>Buy cheap buy twice.</blockquote>
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Ray Daywalker Clarke wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Buy cheaper buy three times.</blockquote>

Normally wise words, but I didn't buy cheap and I still have to buy twice because the Petzl broke.

Flashing Red is seen as a distress signal, Chris. Not much use if no-one knows that though.

/forum/smilies/confused_smiley.gif

Reaction score
Woody normally i would agree if they were red but the flashing is all 7 LED's in white /forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif

Its annoying cause i have to go through the whole push button series to turn it off.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Woody,

I had a Petzl that broke, it was only about 3 months old, i took it back to the shop. They changed it there and then.

had the same with a Fox alarm, but changed the whole lot for Delks.

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Wizzy (Chris Martin) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

Woody normally i would agree if they were red but the flashing is all 7 LED's in white /forum/smilies/i_dont_know_smiley.gif</blockquote>

That is stupid!

But then, most of these lights come from the far east and are designed by them with eye-catchign gimics, if you'll pardon the pun. They don't need to have a purpose, just to sell some some kid (sorry, and anglers) who may enjoy flashing LEDs. I wrote about this a few years ago in Coarse Fisherman, the fact that most anglers headlights were never even designed for them and some bear the names of top tackle companies.

I am interested in this Energizer, but perhaps the Tikka and Tactikka are still the best simply because, they're simple. And that's all an angler wants - on / off.

Reaction score
Simplicity beats hi-tech complicated gizmos everytime. Unfortunately the designers (I have worked with a few) always preferring a design brief that is far more complicated and unnecessary - bowing to current marketing trends to the "Must have Brigade".

Non of these guys are experienced enough (usually student designers) to realise that consumers want simple, reliable and practical above complicated break-down prone goods.

Anyway for what its worth; in my experience providing it does the job, simple is both cheaper to design/build and cost effective from a returns point of view.

Reaction score
I'd recommend the Energiser. I have mine for 3 seasons now and the batteries last for ages.

I just keep mine in an old plastic vitamin tub so it doesn't switch itself on in transit.

Dave

G

Geoff Cowen

Without question the best head light I have tried is the Fox Halo HT85 at £24-99p it isn't cheap but it is very good. The Energiser is good but the beam on the Fox is far better and you can alter the angle as well. It is a little on the heavy side and you still have to press the button several times to get the setting you want but I would still strongly recommend it.

W

Wolfman Woody

<blockquote class=quoteheader>David Powell 3 (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I just keep mine in an old plastic vitamin tub so it doesn't switch itself on in transit. Dave</blockquote>

Any particular type of vitamins, Dave?

/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif

Reaction score
<blockquote class=quoteheader>Woody the Moaning Marlow Meldrew wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote><blockquote class=quoteheader>David Powell 3 (ACA) wrote (see)</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>I just keep mine in an old plastic vitamin tub so it doesn't switch itself on in transit. Dave</blockquote>

Any particular type of vitamins, Dave?

/forum/smilies/tongue_out_smiley.gif </blockquote>

Jeff - The choice of vitamin tub is critical as most have narrow necks. Thanks to Simply Supplements Multivitamins I am now a picture of health and I don't run the batteries down on my Energiser.

Dave

DZ

Reaction score
Google Cyberlite - has ared flipdown cover that I love because it does'nt flare out your night vision so much

Tommo!

Reaction score
Petzl, the one with 4 LEDs and flip up filter.

6months abuse in Afghan and even more on various exercises since.

What do you guys do with them to break them?????