The dogs chased off my fish!

fishplate42

Reaction score
We have a little river near us that is very small but is still fun to fish for the odd hour here and there. I have fished it several times over the past couple of months at various times to try and discover the best time to go. Yesterday (Sunday) I tried early morning and was surprised to find the river with clouds of colour in the water. After trying a couple of spots, I realised what was causing the colour - Dogs! The full story is HERE.

I assume they were causing all the fish to hide too as I caught nothing in two or three hours I was trying. The river is only shallow mostly only a foot deep but with pools that can be three feet deep. The dogs were running about in it rather than swimming. I think I will avoid early mornings in future, I don't have this problem later in the day - at least not yet!

Anyone else had this problem?

Ralph :(

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not a problem but a few weeks ago when taking one of my regular walks along the Stour I was surprised to find the water coloured when the day before it was gin clear but we'd had no rain. Just as you had found, I too saw a dog having a great time wading and swimming in the river a few hundred metres further on, kicking up a lot of debris I did wonder if it would be good to fish that area after the dog had left, a bit like raking a swim.

Today something similar, saw some very cloudy water in a clear river, but it wasn't a dog causing the change but a fella landing a pike a few yards further upstream!

fishplate42

Reaction score
Not a problem but a few weeks ago when taking one of my regular walks along the Stour I was surprised to find the water coloured when the day before it was gin clear but we'd had no rain. Just as you had found, I too saw a dog having a great time wading and swimming in the river a few hundred metres further on, kicking up a lot of debris I did wonder if it would be good to fish that area after the dog had left, a bit like raking a swim.

Today something similar, saw some very cloudy water in a clear river, but it wasn't a dog causing the change but a fella landing a pike a few yards further upstream!

Our little river is more of a stream, I could jump over it in most places. The clouding is not a problem, I think the dogs marauding up and down physically chasing the fish off was what did it. I just need to find out where they go... All good fun.

Ralph :)

smudger172

Reaction score
I raise you one cow............

smudger172-albums-fish-picture3904-cow.jpg