New line on spool

sheffields12

Reaction score
I had a spare spool, which I decided i was going to put some line on.

i used the berkely XL Float Line that i had bought.

Now the problem i have, is this did not fill up my spool! It's not a big spool either. I do have some more of this line, would I need to tie them together and fill it up?

First time I've ever had to put some line on a spool.

j1mealor

Reaction score
I had a spare spool, which I decided i was going to put some line on.

i used the berkely XL Float Line that i had bought.

Now the problem i have, is this did not fill up my spool! It's not a big spool either. I do have some more of this line, would I need to tie them together and fill it up?

First time I've ever had to put some line on a spool.
yes there is tutorials on youtube on tying line to line but be carrful there will be possability of the knot eventualy breaking or undoing if you have enough line left i would take the other off and completley re spool

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

iain t

Reaction score
If you have another spare reel i would transfer the line to that and put some old line or backing on the first spool and reload that one. Or if the spare spool is the same size you could add the backing to the end of the new line to see how much you will need to fill the first spool.

sheffields12

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

The 2nd lot of line will be exactly the same as the other stuff I put on there. So I'll probably tie them together and fill it up that way!

rich66

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

The 2nd lot of line will be exactly the same as the other stuff I put on there. So I'll probably tie them together and fill it up that way!

As long as you have enough room on the spool for plenty of line, then you won't find the knot for possibly a season or two depending on how far out you fish and how much line your can get on.

sheffields12

Reaction score
As long as you have enough room on the spool for plenty of line, then you won't find the knot for possibly a season or two depending on how far out you fish and how much line your can get on.

Only float fishing pretty close in, so it should be fine!

Cheers guys.

---------- Post added at 15:30 ---------- Previous post was at 14:16 ----------

I don't want to start a new thread, so hopefully someone can help.

I'm due a new reel, so instead of putting new line on the spool I have, i may just go out and treat myself on payday to a new reel.

I tend to float fish and feeder fish. Could someone recommend a decent all rounder reel?

Looking at spending around £40

rich66

Reaction score
I've got a Diawa Ninja 3012a seems to do pretty much everything I ask of it very smooth action for the price. Probably the best reel I've owned but then it's also the most I've paid for a reel too. Mine cost £50 from my local tackle shop but you can pick them up for about £40 online etc. If your feeder fishing possibly go for the 4000 a little bigger spool or even the 3000 spool holds more line than the 3012a I believe

iain t

Reaction score
Greys GFS 40 comes with spare alloy spool. You can find them on sale for about £35 new if you look around. Drennan FS30/40 again comes with 2 alloy spools for around £45/50.
Both good reels. I have a pair of both and can highly recommend them especially the Greys at the bargain price i paid. £25 each delivered. The Drennan has so far lasted 3 years or float and barbel use and it's still as smooth as the day i bought them. If you can go to the £50 mark go for them with 2 spare spools.

mikench

Reaction score
I think the Greys are no longer produced but Chapmans had some at reduced prices! A very nice reel!

thecrow

Reaction score
They will do whatever you want, might be a bit on the large side for float fishing but spot on for the feeder, if you are looking for one reel for both you might have to compromise a little. you will not find a better clutch on a reel for this price than this comes with a metal spare spool as well as two handles (double and single)

mikench

Reaction score
Seconded! A great reel( I have the 3500 but I believe they are all very similar in size and weight. I can honestly say I had never mastered setting the drag on a reel and adjusting when necessary with a fish on until I got this reel. Go on treat yourself you will not regret it and that is a good price!

If i ever turned to the dark side and felt the compulsion to have two matching rods and reel, i would buy another!;)

Just for good measure the introduction to this reel was from the great man himself(Binka) and he knows a thing or two!:wh

sheffields12

Reaction score
Ok, looks like I'll be treating myself if it's still available tomorrow!

Just not a word to her indoors, or I'll get asked why i can afford fishing stuff, beer, football but always complain I have no money :wh