Crinkled line behind the float

Phil Adams

Reaction score
Hi all. I spent half a day fishing for roach on a deep wash pit yesterday. I noticed quite quickly that the line behind my waggler was becoming crinkled and damaged.

Is this caused by the tip ring? I have had a look using a lens but could not see any obvious damage/grooving etc.

The rod is an older model (Tench float mkIV) but has literally only been used a half dozen times.

I have also tried two different lines. Same outcome.

Any thoughts?

rich66

Reaction score
Do you use split shot to stop the float?
Sliding the shot up and down can cause crinkling in the line. I put it down to friction caused by not opening the split shot up enough. Could it be that ?

Phil Adams

Reaction score
No mate I don't think so on this occasion. I just tried with the rod setup, line through the rings and then attached to a fencepost.

With the line under some tension and the rod bending slightly, I can feel the friction on the line in the tip section. It actually starts to grate. Although I understand that the line and guides are both dry with no lubrication.

I can't see any damage though which bugs me.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It might be a combination of factors. Over many years and many different rods, I've noticed that some rings aren't as good as others. Occasionally, the worst will seem to be a little less low friction than is ideal. Not necessarily the greatest problem until you put greater pressure on by repeated regular casting, casting greater weight or catching decent fish. If your reel is imparting some twist, or the terminal tackle is spinning, then that could also be an issue. If you are really unlucky, it could be a bit of both potential issues.

iain t

Reaction score
I've only had a crinkly line from moving shot up and down the line. Can't really see the guides doing it unless the line is catching on one or more. Give the rings a spray with WD40 and a good wipe with a fluffy cloth. The lint will hook it's self to any imperfection or sharp edges. If no Lint gets caught then you can strike that off your list.
Just a thought, do you cut off the line near where you join the hook link. This area of the line will be stressed due to the knots.
Is the line old and just stretching at its weak point?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If the line is crinkly and not frayed it sounds as though it's being pinched by something, the same effect that you can get by putting your line round the eye on the bottom of a float twice and then moving the float up the line.....something I used to do with porcupine floats as a kid.

Last edited:

rich66

Reaction score
Couple of ideas to try
Take a foot of line and pass it through the top eye, pinch the two ends together to form a loop through the eye. Then move the loop from side to side inside the eye see if you feel it catch, repeat on every eye.
Check your bail arm & roller in case it's at that end.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I've recently had a case of "grating" while playing fish.
Searching the rings of the tip section for snags/chips with line or thread yielded no clues, everything seemed smooth.
It was only a flash of reflected light off the tip ring that alerted me to the problem - the front face of the tip ring, not the inner surface, was chipped, and the line only touched it when I was close to netting a fish and the line was making an acute angle with the rod, coming back across the face of the tip ring. New tip ring; all good.

greenie62

Reaction score
The other thing to watch out for - particularly if using a waggler adaptor - is 'slip' where it's moved on the line when reeling-in under tension or has caught-up on weed or bankside vegetation. :eek:

trotter2

Reaction score
What make of line are you using. Some makes of line are very easily crinkled like you describe.
Movement of the locking shot can also do the same thing if there too tight when you move the float

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
You said you used a lens to look at the rings, not sure if you meant a magnifying glass but if not, that's a very good idea. I have done this to reveal "invisible" cracks/chips in the ring structure in the past, same for the bail arm on reels; the more powerful the magnifying glass the better. Same for flaws in split cane rods, dodgy hooks and all sorts, useful to have one for many reasons.

Phil Adams

Reaction score
You said you used a lens to look at the rings, not sure if you meant a magnifying glass but if not, that's a very good idea. I have done this to reveal "invisible" cracks/chips in the ring structure in the past, same for the bail arm on reels; the more powerful the magnifying glass the better. Same for flaws in split cane rods, dodgy hooks and all sorts, useful to have one for many reasons.

Hi, yes I effectively used a magnifying glass. Although I could't see any damage.

It has happened with two different lines. 4lb Hydro Flo and 3.2lb Floatfish. Both brand new lines.

I'm going to get a tackle shop to change the tip ring, as this will only cost a few quid and see if that improves/fixes the problem.

Philip

Reaction score
It sounds to me like there is a problem with a rod ring...especially if you feel grating when you tested it. You need to check really really closely..it could be a hairline crack thats almost impossible to see.

Chaging the tip ring is a good bet..however if the problem persists you need to check the others. I am pretty sure you will find a ring with an issue if you look hard enough

Also....try the fence post test but take the line out to the fence post further and further down the rod, one ring at a time... If you still feel it grating then the problem is one of the lower rings.

Ps sorry i thanked your previous post by accident..those lovely new buttons FM gave us that no one wants strike again...its almost impossible not to hit the wrong button on a mobile device....anyone listening on the editorial team? ...noooo course not...

Phil Adams

Reaction score
It sounds to me like there is a problem with a rod ring...especially if you feel grating when you tested it. You need to check really really closely..it could be a hairline crack thats almost impossible to see.

Chaging the tip ring is a good bet..however if the problem persists you need to check the others. I am pretty sure you will find a ring with an issue if you look hard enough

Also....try the fence post test but take the line out to the fence post further and further down the rod, one ring at a time... If you still feel it grating then the problem is one of the lower rings.

Ps sorry i thanked your previous post by accident..those lovely new buttons FM gave us that no one wants strike again...its almost impossible not to hit the wrong button on a mobile device....anyone listening on the editorial team? ...noooo course not...

Good idea!

Iv really looked hard but can't see any obvious damage. To be fair my vision isn't what it used to be.

I don't mind the 'thanks'. It's fine. I understand that flirting in this day and age isn't what it once was. :p

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
My tried and tested way of finding cracks in rod rings is to use a narrow bladed craft knife and revolve the sharp edge around the inside of each ring - it usually finds even the tiniest of cracks.