Angling times

mikench

Reaction score
I have now cancelled my order for this magazine as like the Beano and the Dandy I am too old for comics. :) There is an article about trotting in deep water using a 2 foot long waggler!:confused: Needless to say they are for sale . All reviews and articles are written by sponsored anglers or those who try to sell their own tackle. I cannot imagine an article, for example , by Dave Harrel which does not extol the virtues of Diawa rods, his own floats and now, his own lines! He describes them all as expensive c***! Yeah right!:rolleyes:

I do not believe a word!

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
Been happening for years Mike, the only recommendations I listen to are one from anglers I know and trust or from some members on here the rest is all jackanory stuff imo.

sam vimes

Reaction score
There is an article about trotting in deep water using a 2 foot long waggler!:confused:

There are many valid criticisms that can be levelled at the various angling publications (and I haven't bought one in years), but I'm at a loss as to why the quoted bit is an issue. Yes, it hardly conforms to accepted common practice, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. It may actually be a very effective method. Some of the best methods out there started out seeming pretty ridiculous to the majority of anglers.

I'd actually applaud them for publishing alternative takes on established practice. It's much better than the usual trite one size fits all methods. I long ago learned that, despite what so many magazines and books told me, a typical rule of thumb stick float just wouldn't cut the mustard on my local venues.

mikench

Reaction score
Have you ever used a 2foot long float Sam or been tempted to do so? I am a novice but fail completely to see how any float of such length can be an advantage!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Have you ever used a 2foot long float Sam or been tempted to do so? I am a novice but fail completely to see how any float of such length can be an advantage!

I would love to get hold of some long bodied wagglers. Yes, there are issues with storing and transporting them, but I'd still like to get some. Long floats are a significant advantage when fishing deep water. I'd settle for some of the bigger discontinued Drennan Onions, Tench or bodied Crystal wagglers.

The longest I've used are just a touch less than 1' 6". The main reason that big long floats aren't common has nothing to do with their effectiveness. It's down to the bulk of anglers fishing relatively shallow waters or, if they ever fish deep waters, choosing to leger rather than float fish.

The Runner

Reaction score
Re the weeklies in general I think the point stands. Years since I bought either and for quite a few years before that when I used to matchfish a lot more seriously than I do these days, only used to buy them for the match results and planner of forthcoming opens.

Specifically, 2ft long wagglers ? Used them many times in those serious days, made some up that were pretty much the entire peacock quill, the straightest ones I could find. Used for very windy days on deep still or relatively slow running waters, the length of the float getting below the drift and also to cut through rather than ride up and down on any waves. Had a couple of my best National results pointswise doing this on the North Bank of the Nene and the Welland

B

binka

I would love to get hold of some long bodied wagglers.

I had a pretty poor go at it some time ago Chris, for a deep pit that I fish...

413518938.jpg

The longer, straight waggler worked quite well but I am better prepared this time around and I plan to make a few from two twelve inch lengths of 5mm sarkanda with a short 3mm width acting as a spigot to join them and whipping the join just to make sure.

Let me know if you would like a prototype ;)

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I had a pretty poor go at it some time ago Chris, for a deep pit that I fish...

413518938.jpg

The longer, straight waggler worked quite well but I am better prepared this time around and I plan to make a few from two twelve inch lengths of 5mm sarkanda with a short 3mm width acting as a spigot to join them and whipping the join just to make sure.

Let me know if you would like a prototype ;)

I'd gratefully snap your hands off. ;):)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste money on the Angling times myself but some people like it :eek: . Nowt wrong with it if you like to throw away your coin :eek:mg:.
Regarding the long floats, apparently longer floats can be more stable in deeper water with tow or chop, especially when fishing a shot on the deck and holding station as you do with the lift bite set up.
I have some bodied wagglers which i've just measured out of curiosity and they where a foot long and 13inc long. I have some long polaris floats but failed to find them as they're buried deep in the quagmire of tackle :eek:mg:. Surprisingly some of my bolo flats are a foot long from thetip of the sight tip to the bottom of the stem.
I think a 2FT float is a little excessive and may be more of a talking point than a useful item of tackle. Maybe they're talking about the five gallon drums they use for shark fishing....arn't they about 2ft long :D.

These are the bodied loaded wagglers of which I speak, the longest one is about 13inches long and the long peacock quill is a little longer....

Last edited:

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
I take your point about the magazines and articles featuring certain anglers and their sponsors fishing tackle and i have not read the angling times for years.
I do however read matchfishing and pole fishing and i honestly don't mind them advertising their products.
Without the advertising how would they keep inventing new tackle etc for us to buy.
I also think there is loads of free stuff on you tube by sponsored anglers and there companies.
The adverts are a small price to pay for all the free information we get from a lot of the top anglers.

morston1

Reaction score
Long wagglers of 2ft. Or more are commonly used round here on rivers like the Great Ouse or Middle level etc.

I have not read this article but believe it was about fishing on the Lower Great Ouse.

You have to remember that many swims can be 16 ft deep or more and it is usually very windy with a lot of surface drift.....a lot of anglers prefer to use a fixed waggler rather than a slider. They are often used on long rods of 17ft or so and sometimes using a long paternoster type attachment on the float.

It is just another method and is one I sometimes use myself.

iain t

Reaction score
I stopped buying angling mags years ago. Like some commented already just got fed up with sponsored anglers reviewing their sponsors new kit. The same with bait makers tell us how good their new boilies is. How can that not be biased?. Way too many adverts and not enough articles. For example fishing rigs and how to build them for the summer or winter. The same article was reproduced each year at the time they referred to.Then the one's i used to buy were too focused on Carp. I was like if you didn't fish for Carp, you were not an angler. I don't want to fish with a broomstick to catch an over feed fish every day.
These days i save my money and just search Youtube. Better variety and normal anglers reviewing their own kit that they use every week. Even T.A.F is better than any weekly/monthly available. A lot funnier too.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The adverts are a small price to pay for all the free information we get from a lot of the top anglers.

What makes a top angler then :confused:....Oh, now I know, you must mean Robson Green :rolleyes:.

Top Anglers, always makes me lol, most competent anglers would catch fish in the waters they get to fish.

trotter2

Reaction score
Must admit I don't buy it,sometime look mind when doing me weekly shop in Morrison's.
There is only so much you can write about before it gets old hat and rather boring to be honest.

morston1

Reaction score
There is only so much you can write about before it gets old hat and rather boring to be honest.

Indeed, and it is many years since I bought an angling magazine.

However, it is ironic that when someone does write about something unusual or different it is, as in the first Post in this thread, met with incredulity:confused:

....and the use of long wagglers is not, by any means, a new method....in Ivan Marks' book on match fishing, published in 1975, there is a photo of Ivan using such a float in a match on the north bank of the Nene.

Last edited:

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
What makes a top angler then :confused:....Oh, now I know, you must mean Robson Green :rolleyes:.

Top Anglers, always makes me lol, most competent anglers would catch fish in the waters they get to fish.

Never watched anything with robson green in so don't know what sort of angler he is.Why you think i was referring to people like him i don't know so now i am :confused:
The majority of top or sponsored anglers got heir sponsorship through winning more matches than others or catching big fish regularly if it's other types of fishing they do.
I am sure most of them started off the same way most of us did but just were either more talented or had more time to practice etc.

lakhyaman

Reaction score
I am forever buying angling magazines or having friends bring a couple back whenever they or I travel to an English speaking country. Not being anywhere near an expert the mags do tell me about methods and how to fish them. I then sit back and think if any of my fishing situations are sufficiently alike to warrant trying the method. But most of all I buy them for the adverts. They let me know about whole bits of kit that I never knew existed. Yes , I do come to know of many through sponsored anglers and their articles. I also go through the many normal adverts extolling the virtues of this and that item by their manufacturers with a fine tooth comb. Again I sit back and think whether any of my fishing situations require them or whether I might gain some advantage over my existing kit. I will often then investigate them on the internet or sometimes I might not. Sometimes the kit I then buy works for me brilliantly sometimes it does not. Sometimes the adverts just make me aware of the huge choice I have in say curved shank hooks. I make a choice, good or bad. I would never have known the kit or the choice existed without the adverts, sponsored recommendations, online or in print or by word of mouth advertising (recommendations).

All the best

Lakhyaman

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
I have some very long loaded peacocks. They cast a long way. I bought them in an Essex tackle shop years ago and if memory serves they were for fishing somewhere called Layer Pits( where ever that was).

I have used them on the Gt Ouse for running a bait across the far side past some very chubby looking places by trees.( I wonder if there are still trees on the far bank of Portholme Meadow)

I even had a barbel on one on the tidal Trent at distance at that very time the tide stops for 15 mins.( Just experimenting/mucking about).

The only time I buy a fishing comic now is when I have an hour or two to kill when waiting for the car to be serviced etc.

theartist

Reaction score
We call them comics yet some of the views on here can be comical even from our own 'experts' at end of the day it's another source of information much of which is repetitive but that could also be labelled at our posts sometimes. We choose what we input into our own bank and whilst i'd like to see better and more varied articles I think it would be a sad day when they go, and they probably will then would we lament their passing? Probably so with much nostalgia.

Is it a case of throwing stones in glass houses?

The only major difference is the sponsorship issue but if Drennan wan't to send me anymore stuff then please do as it's very good ;)