Gimmicks or true advancements in last 10 years

mikench

Reaction score
This could be related to bait, rods, reels or terminal tackle! I'll start with the MAP acs clip system. Reviews are less than overwhelming as far as I can see but does anyone rave about the reels offering this facility?

trotter2

Reaction score
There is not many real advances in the last ten years , I can think of only one the widespread the use of pellets under a float for chub fishing on rivers perhaps.

thecrow

Reaction score
I hadn't seen that before as they are not the type of reel I use, for some anglers I would think the clip would be a help and this one looks to be a good idea.

mikench

Reaction score
Whilst the system is patented that patent is clearly capable of being copied yet no other manufacturer has! Says it all really!

robtherake

Reaction score
This could be related to bait, rods, reels or terminal tackle! I'll start with the MAP acs clip system. Reviews are less than overwhelming as far as I can see but does anyone rave about the reels offering this facility?

I own a couple of Wychwood ACS reels and I'm impressed with their over-engineered feel and decent clutch. The ACS works flawlessly as long as you remember to rotate the clip so it's facing down before each cast. I can't comment on the system's longevity and wear characteristics, since I don't fish often enough to wear them out, but have never experienced a premature release, as it were.;)

flightliner

Reaction score
There was a device made that was a one handed catapult sort of thing. If I remember it was endorsed by Bob Nudd in the mags. I never ever saw one used on the bank by a single angler.

mikench

Reaction score
If that was the ezfeeda you clearly don't fish at my venues!:rolleyes: I have one and for wet micro pellets and up to 25 yards it is not at all bad once you are used to it!:)

I hated it at first but it grows on you!

nottskev

Reaction score
If that was the ezfeeda you clearly don't fish at my venues!:rolleyes: I have one and for wet micro pellets and up to 25 yards it is not at all bad once you are used to it!:)

I hated it at first but it grows on you!

I can vouch for that! I've sat next to Mike, seeing, out of the corner of my eye, a volley of corn and pellets land regularly over his feeder. The ezfeeda in action, and the bream lapped it up.

thecrow

Reaction score
What happened though Graham when a big fish took off?

Nothing I was using them when I was winter fishing a large reservoir for big roach, accuracy was a must, the only other thing that might have picked the bait up was bream which don't pull back much in the depths of winter :)

nottskev

Reaction score
Whether you'd call them huge advances, I don't know, but I've used two types of feeder for the first time this year, after decades of using the normal open or block end type.

I first tried the pellet feeder on a bream lake when I forgot a tray of pole rigs and had to improvise a feeder set up.
They're over-weighted to aid the self-hooking effect, and that, together with the 4" hooklength, made for an unlikely-looking set up. But I had to admit there was genius in the design as a series of fish hooked themselves and shook the tip to let me know when to reel in. I've hardly used them since, but there's no doubting their effectiveness.

I'd read about "window" feeders- like a blockend with part of the centre cut out, filled then capped with a smudge of groundbait. I bought a couple and took them on a visit to a big, exposed lake. They worked a treat. You can pack them with a lot of maggots, casters etc, cap them with minimal groundbait, do both with one hand, and cast them as far and as straight as a bomb.

So those two count as a bit of an advance in feeder fishing, for me.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think the lack of an anti reverse switch on a reel is a step backwards and is more of a gimmick than anything else. The manufacturers say it isn't needed as the clutches are so good you don't need to back wind. Now I very rarely back wind when playing a fish but I very often flick the anti reverse off/on for other purposes.
I know a couple of anglers who bought reels with no anti reverse and sold them on and I'm quite certain i'd miss having one after a few minutes on the bank.
At the end of the day the anti reverse switches are very small and in-obtrusive anyhow so I can't see the point in not having one....jmo of course :).

sam vimes

Reaction score
I think the lack of an anti reverse switch on a reel is a step backwards and is more of a gimmick than anything else. The manufacturers say it isn't needed as the clutches are so good you don't need to back wind. Now I very rarely back wind when playing a fish but I very often flick the anti reverse off/on for other purposes.
I know a couple of anglers who bought reels with no anti reverse and sold them on and I'm quite certain i'd miss having one after a few minutes on the bank.
At the end of the day the anti reverse switches are very small and in-obtrusive anyhow so I can't see the point in not having one....jmo of course :).

I bought one, mainly because I was intrigued as to how I'd get on with it. I thought it might be, but it's been no issue whatsoever for me and I'm keeping the reel concerned. As I'm not a backwinder, anything that I want to achieve with an anti-reverse switch off can be accomplished just as easily by manual rotation of the spool or a release of the bail arm.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I bought one, mainly because I was intrigued as to how I'd get on with it. I thought it might be, but it's been no issue whatsoever for me and I'm keeping the reel concerned. As I'm not a backwinder, anything that I want to achieve with an anti-reverse switch off can be accomplished just as easily by manual rotation of the spool or a release of the bail arm.

I remember you saying the lack of the anti reverse didn't bother you Chris.
For me there are too many situations, even things as simple as folding the handle in the right position when putting the reel away where I would miss the anti reverse if it where absent. For the amount of extra weight it adds to the reel i'd rather have it than not.