Distance tench and bream rods

associatedmatt

Reaction score
A while ago I was talking about chucking bags and method feeders without going to carp rods , I have since cone across the drennan tench and bream rods .

They say the action is semi through where my barbell rods are a through action .

Would there be a great advantage of these rods ,

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The original Tench and Bream rods (from 2009?) were popular with anglers targeting large fish at distance.

The new versions apparently have a beef-up butt sections to help punch out heavy feeders or pva bags

Personally I'm not convinced about the 2lb T/C model but the 1¾lb T/C looks a nice rod with a couple more sic rings than the heavier version, and I prefer cork handles on rods if at all possible.

At £129 it looks to be reasonably priced and to be honest, there is not much on the market in the same price range of a similar design . . . . .

Would I buy one? Possibly but then I am very happy with my Tench Float Rod (Mk1) from Drennan for most of my Tench fishing, but, if faced with the need for a distance rod for that purpose then, I'd opt for the Drennan.

Just my view obviously, others will differ.

soft plastic

Reaction score
Acolyte Plus 12' is ideal for long range method feeder and such like. These are a "beefed" up version of the Ultra's, of which I have two.

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk

flightliner

Reaction score
I,m using a pair of Sonik 1•75tc at the moment and tho not rods where you will hit the horizon I can comfotably fish up to sixty yards, maybe more if I tried with method feeders.
the action is predominantly tip to middle with reserve in the butt section, they also came with a twin tip and three weighted optional inserts that are superb for winter chubbing and late season roach fishing.
Not entirely sure if they are still available but if they are (try Chapmans in Scunthorpe) check them out.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
The Avon rods I have are korum all rounders and are very soft and a drennan Avon quiver but are no way designed for bigger feeders for distance far too floppy

---------- Post added at 05:24 ---------- Previous post was at 05:05 ----------

I'm also wondering about there capabilities with carp as well I'm just not a fan of stiff pokers

sam vimes

Reaction score
To some extent, the Drennan bream and tench rods are distance casting tools (obviously the heavier version more so than the lighter), just scaled down appropriately for the target fish. They are expected to be used in conjunction with appropriately scaled down carp tactics. In a similar way that some hate the prospect of heavy carp rods, designed for distance casting, some will hate the thought of these. Same goes for the only other rod of similar ilk that I've encountered, the Shimano Brench rods. Those with a penchant for more refined or traditional approaches aren't likely to be filled with joy at the prospect of hurling a helicopter rig or PVA bag at the horizon, or by the gear capable of doing it.

mikench

Reaction score
I,m using a pair of Sonik 1•75tc at the moment and tho not rods where you will hit the horizon I can comfotably fish up to sixty yards, maybe more if I tried with method feeders.
the action is predominantly tip to middle with reserve in the butt section, they also came with a twin tip and three weighted optional inserts that are superb for winter chubbing and late season roach fishing.
Not entirely sure if they are still available but if they are (try Chapmans in Scunthorpe) check them out.

Are they the S3 model Flight?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Sounding like these could be the rods for me then, what size reels best to use ?

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Emcast br ;) I meant what sort of size I don't perso ally like the diawa br only due to the line clips being cheap

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Given that you are looking for a rod for longer distance casting then something in the 4000 to 5000 range shoud be sufficient.

There would be little point in going to a big pit or long casting reel as the price difference is forbidding.

So, if it were me I'd still match it with a Shimano Aero 5000, if you can find a decent second hand one, or the Diawa Emcast as they are around £70 I think.

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I have 1 Shimano 6000 see if can find another cheap enough

mikench

Reaction score
Emcast br ;) I meant what sort of size I don't perso ally like the diawa br only due to the line clips being cheap

3500 but I agree with you about the line clips ! Not as good as on my Diawa 3012 TDM but I don't use either!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

associatedmatt

Reaction score
My Shimano dl4000 have great line clips, smooth clutches but shame about the baitrunner part

mikench

Reaction score
Matt, If I had to forego one of those features it would be the line clip!;) Besides, it might look crappy but it does work!;)

Last edited:

The bad one

Reaction score
I was handling a pair of Harrison interceptors some ten days or so ago and found the action just about the same as my soniks .
I have the first two 1.75 lb production prototypes of the Interceptors bought off Mr Marsden when he and team at Harrison developed them. Will hit 70 to 80 yards easily and have done a measured 95 yards with them. Wouldn't recommend pushing them to that limit very often :eek: Accuracy goes out of the window when pushed this far but if you fishing for rats it doesn't really matter as you only want to land it somewhere in water. As most ratters don't bother themselves with the finesse of accuracy if they're casting. Why they have bait boats for that don't they????:D
But for B&T and accuracy up to 70 yds you can't beat the Interceptors.

The bad one

Reaction score
No Peter the Interceptors 12 fts made for bream and Tench fishing long before the FM Concept Rods for river and barbel fishing. These are so rare as there were only two made, which I have, even Rocking Horses didn't do dumps like em'
The full production models were tweaked slightly over the production prototypes.