Float plastics material?

Reaction score
What type of plastic material(s) are used in the manufacture of those waggler type fishing floats - "Clear crystal"?

Im currently researching this for a project so any information provided will be very welcome. Particularly interested in high boyancy and light weight properties of plastics currently considered in the industry.

Thanks for your input.

M

MarkTheSpark

Acrylic, I think. Drop Drenna a line - they're plastics experts.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
It's not the bouyancy of the plastic that matters but more its toughness, rigidity and strength that enables the thinest possible tube. The bouyancy comes from the air inside, Archimedes and all that. Think steel or concrete ships. It's only when you use foam type materials that weight matters much.

Reaction score
Thanks Mark,

Its the buoyancy/density ratio of materials too. The rigidity provides the strength of a float but is a balance between flexibility and brittleness.

The material needs to be tough but not at the expense of being too dense as it wont float (negative) with the thinness as you suggest having the duel roll of air capacity entrapment (air inside) providing a more buoyant product and low density (positive or neutral) providing the lightness.

I think your right MarkTheSpark, acrylic may be the one but I cannot find any reference to confirm - drennan has not replied yet either.

M

MarkTheSpark

Address your letter Gary Barclay or Pete Brownlow so it goes to the top. (At least, I think both are still there, though Drennan always has kept its corporate head below the parapet)