Big mistake!

fishplate42

Reaction score
36903965185_f5127476bd.jpg

On Saturday I had one of the most pleasant days fishing for a while. I got home about 8 PM after being out since early morning. While unloading the van I realised the landing net was still full of bream slime even after giving it a good slosh about in the lake before heading home. I could not be bothered to mess about with it that night, so I left it in the van. On Sunday afternoon I went back to the van to get the net. By this time the van had been baking in the sun all day. As I opened the door of the van, the smell was bad enough to strip paint!

I hate bream slime, especially baked bream slime :puke:

Ralph.

Reaction score
I always shake the snot out of my l.net after returning the fish,99% flies out,but your fetish for odour le bream is a great concern to me...:eek:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you fish an area that has some grass, give your net a good rinse and then run it over grass which seems to brush out a lot of the slime.

fishplate42

Reaction score
If you fish an area that has some grass, give your net a good rinse and then run it over grass which seems to brush out a lot of the slime.

Thanks for that, I had not thought about running the net over the grass to brush the slime out. This was a case of laziness rather than application. I had rinsed and shaken out as much of the slime as I could before leaving the lake. I normally leave the net in the back of the van overnight and deal with it the next day. This time I had caught a lot of bream, which I don't usually do, and had given the net a good coating of slime that had been left to bake in a closed tin box in direct sunlight. The van was too hot to touch on the sun side! It must have been 50 or 60ºC inside, if not more! On opening the van the stink was like nothing else I have ever smelt, it was enough to make me retch. I opened the back doors as well as the side door and the smell quickly dissipated.

I propped the net up in the garden and let the sun do its job for a few hours, by which time it has set sold. I gave it a soak in a sink full of warm water and washing up liquid, then washed it through with clean water. Left it out to dry. It dried stiff as a board and still stunk! In the end I washed it in a sink full of hot water with about a tablespoon of washing powder, left it to soak overnight before thoroughly rinsing it in cold water. Success! It is now nice and soft again and has no unpleasant odour whatsoever.

I am not a fan of bream fishing, or at least not the slime that goes with it :(

Ralph.

mikench

Reaction score
Be careful Ralph they stuck by me when I was foresaken by all the others especially the tench!:rolleyes:

fishplate42

Reaction score
Be careful Ralph they stuck by me when I was foresaken by all the others especially the tench!:rolleyes:

I would like them better if A, The did not make all my gear stink and B, if they had non-slip skin like perch ;)

Non slip bream, Hmmmm... If the supermarkets sold them I bet they would have come up with a 'convenience' non-stink, non-slip version :D

Ralph.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Be thankful that it was only a snotty net in the van and not a bucket of lobs. There is nothing on earth that stinks like a dead worm...lobs are bad, lugworm are worse. I once had a bucket of lug go south on me....i couldn't get near enough to it to dispose of the evidence. I was 16 at the time and that smell has stayed with me ever since.