decline in rivers

sis the roach

Reaction score
i dont know if its just me but not caught many roach or dace this season i fish the trent most but the derwent and dove is no better

trotter2

Reaction score
That should be a like by the way mate?
We have plenty if dace on the river Tees.
But barbel and chub numbers are way down.
If it keeps on going it will be a grayling and dace river with nowt else.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Unlike many stocked still water venues a river is a constantly changing environment,

Some years there will be a huge number of fish spawned and surviving whereas in other years the year class may well be much smaller.

In my own local river the Hampshire Avon we have seen in the last couple of years a very good increase of both Roach and Dace, but it was a very different story about 4 years ago.

peterjg

Reaction score
Are our rivers declining: DEFINITELY YES.

We are told that the rivers are cleaner but something is very wrong!

Problems include phosphates; for example, there are apparently 270 tonnes going in the Kennet each year, this problem must apply to all rivers.

Signal crayfish which apart from weakening the banks eat fish food and can make fishing intolerable.

Otters, mink, mitten crabs, cormorants: enough said!

It is said (?) that, because our drinking water is recycled, that the contraceptive pill is effecting the fish spawning?

Water abstraction; ask how many reservoirs have been built in the last 50 years!!!!!

Ask what the EA is doing about these issues, probably nothing?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

barbelboi

Reaction score
There are plenty of roach and dace in the rivers and streams here, certainly a great many more than my old stomping ground of the Thames tributaries have shown for a great many years. Might be because you never see another angler on the bank here...............;)

stripey

Reaction score
You don't mention where on the trent you are fishing, on the upper trent throughout Burton there are a lot of roach showing especially on Coors ac waters, also on Swadlincote d a a waters on the trent at Newton Solney the dace are showing and also roach and chub, they are both excellent clubs and well worth joining.

steve2

Reaction score
To sum up the streams where I live in Essex. What's a dace haven't caught one in years. Decline in small streams fishing as happened without a doubt as most are being over abstracted.

sis the roach

Reaction score
i have fished the trent power gen waters below and above clifton bridge notts fed fished at sawley pride of derby derby railway waters swarksyone trent enbankment so would you say the wights at burton coors have brrn as good as the last 5 years

stripey

Reaction score
Hi Sis,
The dace on the fist gravels on what is called the old Stretch on trent lane in Newton Solney are very nearly back to the same numbers as they where in the 1970s its absolutely stuffed with them and they will stay there until the depths of winter, as for Coors A C check out their web site all the results are on there all with section weights etc,

Reaction score
Why was my earlier post removed please???

thecrow

Reaction score
It is said (?) that, because our drinking water is recycled, that the contraceptive pill is effecting the fish spawning

The Pill is just one of a long list of endocrine disruptors, Plenty of information in this and the links within it, although its from the US it applies to fish and the environment they live in.

Tackling Fish Endocrine Disruption

Dirty Dozen Endocrine Disruptors | EWG

Rivers clean? I wonder how people would react if they knew what was in our rivers? I suspect they wouldn't give a toss so long as they "look clean" and their furries were ok.

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
The Crow: thank you for adding those two items of information in your post.

We are indeed wrecking this planet of ours!!! This is serious!!! Why isn't something being done to stop this madness!!!

Water is essential to life, this essential resourse is being knowingly contaminated/destroyed -
it is all happening so fast! Surely the EA, as a government department, is aware of this??? What are they doing about it? Bet I know the answer .....

Reaction score
Do not forget Peter,every time our rivers go over a certain level the sewage works are allowed to release a considerable amount of untreated sewage,times this by the number of sewage treatment plants along each river and work out how much damage is done,when we get flash floods in the summer,the results are devastating,on the Gt.Ouse and Thames in winter it used to stun me how much toilet paper and other un-savouries waved around after a period of high water...

peterjg

Reaction score
It's all like some mad fictional conspiracy!

I can see it now - this is the plot so far: an evil foreign power has decided to take over the world not by military or by financial means, no this is chemical warfare! It is a long term darstadly scheme, they carefully infiltrate and integrate themselves into our government, they stop the building of reservoirs because they would be too easily identified as a source.
They brainwash the population to change to their oral (chemical) contraceptives which are then recycled through our river systems. They introduce their own people through a government agency which they call the EA.

I'll get back to the plot in a minute, we need to cast our hero, maybe Bruce Willis or Daniel Craig (though I would personally favour Homer Simpson), of course our hero would be surrounded by a bevvy of voluptuous beauties.

Back to plot.

The government then manages to sell off most of the water companies to foreign countries which distances them from blame. They encourage abstraction from our rivers and water table, this, apart from enabling their chemicals to be better distributed, lowers the rivers flow and enables them to also to make millions through selling off the old flood plains and dried up carriers.

Only in the news last week it was reported that human sperm levels have dropped by 40%, can this be attributed to this cunning plot?

Anyway enough nonsense, or is it. Has a plot to end the world (as we know it) been identified by a bunch of old farts on FishingMagic?

Let's just go fishing and continue blanking on our deteriorating rivers .....

Reaction score
I think North Korea are doing a fine job on plotting the end of the world,especially with the Wyatt Trump presidency...