Carp rod

mikench

Reaction score
I am not turning to the dark side but think I will buy a carp rod for fishing in France. Can some kind soul recommend me a sensibly priced rod for this purpose . Ideally I would like a rod with 40mm butt ring and a cork handle!.

I prefer a "British rod " which I can have shipped from Amazon!

sam vimes

Reaction score
It might be worth defining what you think is "sensibly priced".
One immediate snag is that, by specifying a cork handle, you are instantly pushing the budget towards the mid-range. The vast majority of inexpensive carp rods are not available with cork handles as an option.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Sonik usually have a cork option in their cheaper (sub £100) ranges, though you do pay a slight premium for it. Likewise, you often find cork options in the cheaper Fox rods (Warrior S, currently). Wychwood budget rods are often good for a cork option too.

chrissh

Reaction score
I’m not a carper ether but in my post 2 weeks ago I won a Nash Dwarf Abbreviated 10ft 2.75… I have match it up with the Nash BP6 black reel
The rod and reel are light a well-balanced & cast well… Tried them out yesterday for the first time had 6 carp biggest 16.5lb
There’s deals on the rod and reel for £105 ether 2.75-3.0-3.50

but there not a cork handle

mikench

Reaction score
I had started a shortlist and had included in it the Wychwood c101/201, the Fox Warrior S with a cork handle and a Sonik. I also included a couple of Diawa rods( non cork and with a 50mm butt ring; they look silly imo) Mission, Emcast and another I cannot remember and an Avid Traction on offer a little above budget. I already have a suitable reel!

Decisions decisions!:rolleyes:

sam vimes

Reaction score
50mm rings might make sense if you are casting to the horizon and using a big pit reel. However, I've yet to be convinced that the rush to 50mm rings isn't just a fashion thing as much as anything.

Although I've stated many times that test curve ratings can be quite a red herring, you appear to be buying blind, be wary of getting something way OTT for what you actually want to achieve. Unless you intend to cast big leads/bags a long way, you probably don't need a 3.25 (or greater). Most lighter carp rods are capable of landing any carp you might encounter. Lighter rods are likely to make catching smaller fish a much more enjoyable experience. However, many modern rods, regardless of the TC, tend towards having an action that's better for casting than playing fish. It's another one of those fashion things that goes hand in hand with 50mm ringing.

mikench

Reaction score
Chris I appreciate your view. In truth I am thinking of a carp rod of at most 2.75tc . The last carp I caught was with a barbel rod of 1.75 tc and the struggle was , for me at any rate, very enjoyable. I may be better of with a barbel rod ie a rod with some backbone but an enjoyable playing action too!

All views appreciated!

sam vimes

Reaction score
There are playing action carp rods out there, they just tend to come from the less mainstream, and more costly, manufacturers. Alternatively, you can find them in rods from before the casting arms race really started at the turn of the century.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Do you have any suggestions for an older rod?

Sorry Mike, not with a cork handle, unless it has been rebuilt with one. The bulk of rods from the late eighties into the nineties had abbreviated duplon. Most cork handled carp rods of the era were customs. 30/40mm butt rings and more through actions were more usual in carp rods of that era though. PVA bag work, big leads and casting to the horizon weren't especially prevalent if they existed.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Have you considered buying pike rods?

Normally a more through action than a carp rod and cork handles seem more fashionable with pike anglers. I'll admit to not picking them up but Fox Warrior pike rods with cork are around £80.

seth49

Reaction score
www.kodextackle.com

I've been using a pair of these for the last two years, I got them for the fishery I'm a member off, it's a bit overgrown in places, not enough room to use a twelve foot rod, I really like these rods, there not to powerful so you get a good scrap from the carp, would say there through actioned they bend right to the butt, and I can cast a two ounce lead eighty yards easy, probably more with more room.
Be worth a try , they have a cork handle too.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Hasn't got a cork handle but of all the carp rods I've tried recently by far the nicest and sweetest actioned one was an ESP Mk II Floater rod. Proper fishing rod this, lovely all through action and beautifully balanced. I've no doubt it would do very nicely as an all rounder provided you don't plan on chucking coconuts into orbit. 12 ft 2.5lb test but doesn't feel like a broomstick.

Philip

Reaction score
Diawa usually make reasonable rods in the mid price range but I dont know about the availability of cork handles. Sonik also seems to be getting some good press of late.

Allot of my carping is done with 12 foot 2.5 tc rods and they have coped admirably on both rivers and lakes of all sizes. One thing I would avoid however are 50mm butt rings, they are more difficult to store and carry and unless your a tournament caster they are unlikly to make any difference to how far you can cast.

carpinbob

Reaction score
I've always used Sonik rods ever since I started fishing for carp , in my opinion good value nice action and will last a life time.

john step

Reaction score
Mike, you mention France. Will packability be a factor with a full two section carp rod. Also if its for vacation fishing perhaps that cork handle would not be very important.

I have mentioned these before on here. I have been using them for most of my carping lately even though I bought them to travel with. They are very good.

They are not up to your preferred budget but I would be helpful in taking the difference from you.:D:D:D:D

NGT Dynamic 11 ft 4 piece travel carp rod 2.75 TC. £21 95.

Don't be fooled by the cheap price.

ngtdirect.co.uk.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I will have a look John. I was going to have one shipped here from Amazon (uk or France) whichever is the cheapest but that may be a solution:)

Whichever I buy it will double up for lighter casting from the beach!:)

sam vimes

Reaction score
I will have a look John. I was going to have one shipped here from Amazon (uk or France) whichever is the cheapest but that may be a solution:)

Whichever I buy it will double up for lighter casting from the beach!:)

Mike, why not give pecheur.com a look? Their prices are often keen enough for folks in the UK to buy from them in France. It looks like they've got a few of the rods that have been mentioned.