Polecats

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
polecat-300x180.jpg

Thought this made a change to the rabbits and hedgehogs we so commonly see splattered on our roads - a polecat! I actually saw a live one last year; it was competing with a crow for the spoils of road-kill and came bounding up the grass verge as I drove by. Apparently, they're on the increase having been near eradicated a hundred and fifty years ago.

Last edited:

robtherake

Reaction score
https://www.fishingmagic.com/wp-admin/media-upload.php?post_id=27921&type=image&TB_iframe=1[/IMG][/URL]

Thought this made a change to the rabbits and hedgehogs we so commonly see splattered on our roads - a polecat! I actually saw a live one last year; it was competing with a crow for the spoils of road-kill and came bounding up the grass verge as I drove by. Apparently, they're on the increase having been near eradicated a hundred and fifty years ago.

I ran over a small wiggly animal just the other day, being unable to change my line on a B-road with a bus coming the other way. Had to assume it was a stoat or weasel, but it was very light in colour and had a coat with a brindled appearance. It also seemed somewhat fatter than your average stoat/weasel - although there was just the merest glimpse before it was splattered into two dimensions - so I was minded that it may be an escaped ferret, but maybe not, if they're becoming naturalised.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
polecat-300x180.jpg

That could be a ferret Cliff. They sometimes get lost when people go rabbiting.
Then again it could be a polecat....we'll never know :rolleyes:.

trotter2

Reaction score
Looks like a polecat ferret cross.
Someone's rabbiting companion. Probably lost down the hole.
Sometimes they get lost ,or kill a rabbit down the hole and don't resurface untill they have had there fill.
The guy gets sick of waiting and has to leave it.
Used to see them regularly but now not many go rabbiting like they used too.
Going like many field sports unfortunally.

mikench

Reaction score
Could be either! A weasel is weasily identified but a stoat is stoatally different! I'll stay here:rolleyes:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Looks like a polecat ferret cross.
Someone's rabbiting companion. Probably lost down the hole.
Sometimes they get lost ,or kill a rabbit down the hole and don't resurface untill they have had there fill.
The guy gets sick of waiting and has to leave it.
Used to see them regularly but now not many go rabbiting like they used too.
Going like many field sports unfortunally.

A ferret is a polecat, white ones are just albinos.
I've never known a ferret to have a much on a rabbit when it kills below ground. If that happened then it mustn't be getting fed at home.

trotter2

Reaction score
A ferret is a polecat, white ones are just albinos.
I've never known a ferret to have a much on a rabbit when it kills below ground. If that happened then it mustn't be getting fed at home.

A ferret is a domesticated polecat.
Probably introduced by the Romans for hunting the albino makes them visable when they come to ground.
Ferrets can kill in that's why people use electronic ferret finders so they can dig them back out rather than loose the ferret.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A ferret is a domesticated polecat.
Probably introduced by the Romans for hunting the albino makes them visable when they come to ground.
Ferrets can kill in that's why people use electronic ferret finders so they can dig them back out rather than loose the ferret.

Trotter...if you knew how much ferreting / dogging and shooting i've done since being 5yrs of age you wouldn't be trying to tell me about ferrets/ferreting etc ;).
If a ferret stays with a kill it isn't worth having and it would be thrown to the dog / shot or have it's head whacked on a post, that's the blunt truth. On the other hand if a ferret kills a rabbit and gets stuck behind it in a block end and has to be dug up then the ferrets is ok. Ferrets are no use if they stay with a kill.

trotter2

Reaction score
Ian I used to keep ferrets in my younger days. A lot of the older generation did back then.
Fishing and rabbiting went hand in glove for a lot of us.
Happy times.:)