Talking of chairs...

fishplate42

Reaction score
Not wanting to hijack The Crow's Thread, I have been looking at chairs/stools for roving. Most of my fishing has been static or totally on the move, when dropshotting on the Regent's Canal.

36981642155_5125f2cc25.jpg

You can imagine how surprised we were to see an advert for nice looking stools for £1.00 each. There had to be a catch and there was - they are tiny! They available from Poundland. Sue bought one anyway and trying it out she decided she probably could use one. Absolutely no use to me!

sue_feed.jpg

As It turned out it is ideal on a sloping bank as your feet are lower than the ground the stool is sitting on. As you can see, Sue looks happy sitting on it. Next to Sue is my really cheap haversack-stool. To be honest the stool is okay but the bag is rubbish. Every time I use it I can hear the stitching giving way and it is already holed. The stool is useable bit it is not great. The thing only cost £15.00 including delivery. I should have know it was going to be flimsy. There is a Shakespeare branded bag-stool that looks better at about £35.00 but I have not seen one in the flesh, so to speak.

Now I am looking for suggestions for small, lightweight stools or chairs that we can port in or on a rucksack. Any suggestions. It does not to be incorporated as a bag/stool as I am thinking a separate bag might even be a better idea being easier to get at while sitting on the stool.

Ralph

slaphead

Reaction score
Could you not cut the bag from the stool, and use the stool on it's own with a different bag?

fishplate42

Reaction score
Could you not cut the bag from the stool, and use the stool on it's own with a different bag?

Yes, I did think about that and I may well do, but I was just thinking there might be a better solution out there I had not stumbled upon.

Ralph.

mikench

Reaction score
I have a camo waterproof cushion which was meant for kneeling on in Air rifle shooting which I intend to try when I go light!!! As likely as Nelson getting his eye back as my Grandad used to say;)

It could be sat on and is just stuffed with foam balls . I plan to put some of the Pva type things in when I receive a package protected by them so I have a ready supply to hand so to speak!;)

Last edited:

fishplate42

Reaction score
Funny you guys should mention bean bags and cushions. Sue had said that the other day while we were walking along the Military Canal. I dismissed the idea at the time.

Thinking about it this morning I had a look at camping stuff and discovered 'self inflating' cushions! I can only assume they are filled with a foam that will crush down when rolled up with the valve open and 'self inflate' as the foam expands again. Sounds like the ideal solution to sitting on natural banks.

Go Outdoors and several other places seem to sell much the same thing. Has anyone tried one of these?

Ralph.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You guys can still kneel down and more importantly get up again?:eek:

I've been gardening for the past day or two, half hour working, two hour rest and repeat. Oh to have strong knees and back again.

fishplate42

Reaction score
This is mine;

camo kneeling cushion - Google Search

The page contains a few more ideas Ralph!!

I see, thanks. Do they work as I surmised?

They look like the answer to me for sitting on a bank. I think I am going to dump the flimsy bag on my rucksack/stool and use the stool when we are on level (ish) ground. I will just use one of my other fishing bags for now. The art of this is not to overload yourself (myself!) with too much gear...

Ralph.

greenie62

Reaction score
... a length of rope with loops tied in, anyone got any other ideas?

:eek:mg: NO Al!!!
Concerned passers-by may call Samaritans for you - seeing you throw a looped rope over a nearby branch after spooking a carp!:eek::rolleyes:

mikench

Reaction score
I see, thanks. Do they work as I surmised?

They look like the answer to me for sitting on a bank. I think I am going to dump the flimsy bag on my rucksack/stool and use the stool when we are on level (ish) ground. I will just use one of my other fishing bags for now. The art of this is not to overload yourself (myself!) with too much gear...

Ralph.

They do Ralph and as they have a zip to add to or remove the filling, one can put tackle inside or the flask or butties. I need to fill mine more if I was to sit on it !

fishplate42

Reaction score
You guys can still kneel down and more importantly get up again?:eek:

I've been gardening for the past day or two, half hour working, two hour rest and repeat. Oh to have strong knees and back again.

Ha ha! That will teach you! I spent an afternoon fixing the car earlier this year that involved sitting cross-legged for a couple of hours. No problem until the next day when I discovered I could hardly walk. Going down stairs was almost impossible. It took me a couple of days to get the legs going again. When I thought about it, it was probably several decades since I have sat on the floor.

Touch wood (he said with a his hand on his head) My knees seem to have recovered from a spate of playing up. I found myself walking down our stairs in a sort of sideways stance to make it easier. I started making myself walk down the stairs in the normal way and now I have very little trouble so long as I step up and over things with care and not try and behave like a twenty-year old.

Same with the back. I used to have a lot of problems with my back but since I have taken up fishing it seems to be fine. I wonder if it is the use of muscles I have not used for years before that. All I know is since then I seem to be okay :confused:

Ralph.

mikench

Reaction score
They are very light as well and mine has a clip to which I have attached a small carabiner . Thus I can attach it my belt, chair or even a jacket!

keora

Reaction score
Angling chairs in fishing shops are generally well made, although the problem is that they are too heavy - usually about 4 or 5 kilos- if you're walking a long way to distant swims. Other flaws are that they are too wide and deep to place in some of the narrow overgrown swims I fish, and often the seat height is too low.

I've tried backless fishing stools,they can be too heavy because they are made of steel rather than a light aluminium alloy.

Currently I'm using a light aluminium chair, with a back, that I bought from a camping shop. Suitable ones are so hard to find that when I saw it I actually bought two at the same time.

Philip

Reaction score
I am something of a chair-o-holic. I have literally used dozens of different chairs down the years ...purpose fishing chairs, stools, camping chairs, directors chairs, mats you name it including all of the things already mentioned on this thread.

With the help of this forum I got myself a JRC Stealth x lite chair and I can honestly say its the best chair I have ever used. Its not quite as light as those little folding stools but its very very light, is 1000x more comfortable than a stool has 4 adjusttable legs, packs up small and seems of very good quality i.e it wont collapse after 3 sessions.

They are obviously more expensive than a stool but its a purchase I dont think you will regret if you looking for a lightweight fishing chair.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I am something of a chair-o-holic. I have literally used dozens of different chairs down the years ...purpose fishing chairs, stools, camping chairs, directors chairs, mats you name it including all of the things already mentioned on this thread.

With the help of this forum I got myself a JRC Stealth x lite chair and I can honestly say its the best chair I have ever used. Its not quite as light as those little folding stools but its very very light, is 1000x more comfortable than a stool has 4 adjusttable legs, packs up small and seems of very good quality i.e it wont collapse after 3 sessions.

They are obviously more expensive than a stool but its a purchase I dont think you will regret if you looking for a lightweight fishing chair.

Yeaph, i've got one....got it yonks ago now but still haven't used it :eek:mg:

shane99

Reaction score
JRC Stealth x lite

I have the recliner version for hardly anymore weight, excellent chairs, in fact my second one. The last one lasted about 15 years, structurally sound but paint peeling & cover very very tired.