Forgotten items...

Reaction score
Whilst away on my recent holiday at Christchurch,I did something very unusual for me,on my old Korum accessory chair I like to use a rear rest which fits on the leg of the seat,I like the rest so much I have two,one on my seat box,the other on the chair,well,on the first evening's fishing I found i'd left the one for the chair at home,I havn't got a clue why i'd taken it off,couldn't buy one down there,so used a bankstick,which felt really uncomfortable,a bit like ripping the a**e out of your trousers,anyone else ever had similar sort of issues?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a few similar issues a few years ago Alan, seemingly always forgetting one or other small items of attachments to my seat box.

I solved it by buying one of the Preston Mega sized accessory bags and everything fits in there, including pole rollers, roosts and all the little bits and pieces that make fishing more comfortable and therefore efficient.

If I am using a chair ten I take out the pole accessories but leave them in them idle of the garage floor to remind me to put them back afterwards ;)

steve2

Reaction score
I have forgotten most things at sometime or other. Nets, rods, reels, bait. club tickets and gate keys. The most annoying thing is that remember them just as you pull into the club carpark.

B

binka

I use something for the same purpose Alan, I detest taking anything I might not need but it's so light I can just swivel it around when I fold the chair down and weighing very little I don't notice anything different but I know it's always there...

binka-albums-misc-picture4786-c1.jpg

binka-albums-misc-picture4787-c2.jpg

If it's any consolation I rocked up at the river (twenty miles away) on one occasion last year and unzipped the two rod tubes attached to my quiver to find there were no rods in them :eek:mg:

And a long list of previous forgets before that...

lambert1

Reaction score
I've had to go back for my membership card and rod licence. I have never been asked to show either, but I am a great believer in "sods law".:D

Reaction score
I use something for the same purpose Alan, I detest taking anything I might not need but it's so light I can just swivel it around when I fold the chair down and weighing very little I don't notice anything different but I know it's always there...

binka-albums-misc-picture4786-c1.jpg

binka-albums-misc-picture4787-c2.jpg

If it's any consolation I rocked up at the river (twenty miles away) on one occasion last year and unzipped the two rod tubes attached to my quiver to find there were no rods in them :eek:mg:

And a long list of previous forgets before that...

It's so bloody annoying,as i'm just so not forgetful guys,as for your rod tube story Steve,many years ago when I fished with Blackhorse,we were at an open match near Bath on the B.Avon for a practice,we drew our pegs and found the guy i'd picked up was at opposite ends of the stretch,I reached where he needed dropping off,he jumped out and grabbed his gear out of the boot,I shot off to get to my peg,when I opened the back up his enormous holdall was still there(you know the sort,two poles,eight rods and the kitchen sink),had to shoot back,drop it off with a steward,because the daft plonker walked all the way to his peg without realising:eek:mg:,then dash back and almost run the three quarters of a mile to get to my peg,started fishing 10 minutes late...doh...

greenie62

Reaction score
Being of an age where it is pardonable to become forgetful - I have resorted to my teenage routine of having a checklist - used then because of the excitement of going fishing resulting in the overeagerness and consequent rush causing me to forget vital items of tackle:eek:

My checklist unfortunately let me down last week - it didn't include my waistcoat!:eek: - to which was attached my line scissors or nippers - and in the pocket my penknife - whch I discovered pretty quickly when I tackled-up and found I had no way of trimming line:eek::eek:mg:

My teeth are as much use as my memory these days - so the gnashers were no good either! I then went on to discover the number of vital items that were normally contained in the various pockets of the waistcoat! - won't make that mistake again:eek::doh:

nottskev

Reaction score
I've forgotten a fair few vital items, mostly due to the sorting and swapping that comes from trying to lighten the load. I've set up to fish the pole, not realising the tray of pole rigs was at home. I've raced after work to get a sure-fire barbel swim, installed myself in it gleefully, then, and found the only reel in the bag had 2lb line on. And more.
When my dad was staying with us recovering from a stroke, I asked if he'd like to come out with me one sunny evening to a stretch of the Dove where we could drive to the bank. He indulged my love of fishing but I knew he really thought it a bizarre and pointless hobby, so I had the idea he'd be impressed enough to reconsider if he saw one or two of the barbel we were catching at the time. After a 30 mile drive, with him installed in a comfy chair at the top of the bank, I found I'd brought everything except a reel. His indifference to the whole business came to the rescue, as I don't think he even noticed no actual fishing took place. Not bad, bit of a long way, was his response when asked how the evening went.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I started to reply to this post but i've forgot what I was going to post, now i've forgot what the thread is about :confused:....:rolleyes: :D.

rayner

Reaction score
I'm usually not too bad, forgotten bits and bobs over the years as most have.
Recently, meaning last week I forgot my landing net handle one day then two days later I forgot the landing net top.
Two things I can't manage without because I net even the tiniest fish.
My wife really enjoyed the mishap as she had to rectify the error. Don't know why she curls her lip it only took 15mins.

mikench

Reaction score
I have forgotten most things particularly when I have tried to go light! I now just keep everything in the car apart from bait which needs to be kept cool. I have a piece of paper taped to my flask which simply states " maggots, bait and phone"

All the rest is in the car just in case:)

bracket

Reaction score
I remember fishing a summer evening session in the mid 1960's on the Trent above Cifton Bridge, what was then Notts ROF waters. I wrapped up around a quarter to nine and wended my way to the club car park with the intention of rounding off a good evening with a drop of ale. My arrival at the car park coincided with that of a guy from Sheffield, the only other angler on the bank, also giving it best. We had a craic about the fishing and life in general as we loaded up. I am without doubt, the fastest "packer up" in the business, particularly when the Pub's open, so I was pulling away before he had his waders off. Got to the Pub and then thought "where's my holdall?" In those days I had a roll up one with ALL my rods in it. It was of course back on the ROF Club car park ten miles away. So I made the return journey just in case, but unlikely, that it was still there. Pulled onto the car park and to my surprise there, in the gathering gloom, sat the Sheffield Guy with my gear. " I wor gonna gi' thee another ten minutes then be off" he said. I could have kissed him, if my Old Man hadn't have destroyed my feminine side years before. Never got his name but what a Gentleman. Pete.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
It's moments like that that make you glad to be alive and content in the knowledge that there are decent honest folk out there. Nice people are nice people full stop regardless of race, colour or creed. It is they that matter!:)

flightliner

Reaction score
Last week I plain forgot my spomb, never even knew I'd lost it.went back to the water friday gone, positioned my lowchair and there it was lying beneath it.

fishplate42

Reaction score
I never forget anything I have remembered to take with me...

...and what is this post about? :confused:

Ralph ;)

Reaction score
Last week I plain forgot my spomb, never even knew I'd lost it.went back to the water friday gone, positioned my lowchair and there it was lying beneath it.

Bet that was like someone from other than Yorkshire finding a fifty pound note Mick...;)

silvers

Reaction score
Go on then Alan - name the guilty! which Black Horse angler was it who left their holdall?
My guess is Paul Coombes or Chris Mears ....

hope that you're keeping well

Myself - I've left bait in the fridge several times - particularly worms!
As a match angler whi has different kit for different venues I'm not too bad in packign nowadays
Landing net has been missed a couple of times.
And I've found myself wading in trainers a few times too!

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
It's moments like that that make you glad to be alive and content in the knowledge that there are decent honest folk out there. Nice people are nice people full stop regardless of race, colour or creed. It is they that matter!:)

I lived in a terrace in downtown Salford for a few years in the mid 80's. My fishing transport was a Kawasaki 750, and as I manoeuvred it into the backyard after a trip - it wasn't a place to leave little items like motorbikes on the front -I left my rod holdall leaning on the entry wall and went indoors. Gone when I looked later, naturally, I reported it to the police, for something, however futile, to do. A couple of days later, they gave me the address of someone who'd reported finding it. A young woman answered the door and told me her son, he looked about 8, had found a bag with "some tubes and stuff" in it, and guardedly asked me to describe the contents. I did and was re-united with the "tubes" - a brand new Tri-cast pole amongst them. I handed over a decent sum as a reward. I have managed not to forget a whole rod bag since.