Tea

fishplate42

Reaction score
I have been sitting here at my desk for an hour or so and the cup of tea I poured before I came in here is now stone cold. Not being one to waste anything if I can help it I (No, I did not add it to my latest strange bait concoction) drank it.

To my surprise, it was very palatable. In fact, I might try making some and chilling it. Now, we are not talking about that perfumed fancy stuff here, This is builder's tea with milk and sugar (sorry!)

I am now thinking this might be the answer to taking tea fishing - just take it cold!

I don't want to start another how to take hot tea thread, as we have done that the death only recently, but what do you think about cold tea?

Ralph.

theartist

Reaction score
Not sure it's gonna take off mate when you think they've been heating the stuff up for the last thousand years :D

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've liked iced tea since first trying it because it was the only thing left in a vending machine on a French Air Force base on Corsica. Plain tea left to go cold is perfectly drinkable, but I'm not averse to cold, or iced, coffee too.

john step

Reaction score
Sorry Ralph, its revolting. I would rather take a bottle of water.:)

bracket

Reaction score
Cold tea? For me that's as appetising as flat ale. Pete.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Sorry Ralph, its revolting. I would rather take a bottle of water.:)

I had never tried it until 'Liz' invited us to one of her garden parties, a few years back, on the hottest day of July and the only cold drink on offer was iced tea...

Ralph.

nottskev

Reaction score
Every now and then, there's a thread about how to get milk in one's tea on the bank - milk tea in a flask spoils, carrying it separately is a nuisance etc. After a lifetime of putting milk in tea because......because I did and so did everyone else, I tried tea without milk, to save buying and storing it on a very basic self-catering holiday. And discovered what a delicious and fragrant drink I'd been missing. If anyone is making me tea, and I say "no milk, please", they usually ask, in a concerned voice, if I'm sure! Simplifies the fishing flask business, too.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Having lived and worked in both Mississippi and Texas I got very used to drinking Iced Tea, both home made and store bought.

On a hot day (and those are most of the year over there) it is a terrific and cooling drink, either plain or flavoured with Peach being my favourite.
9although when compared to a Mint Julep it is definitely second best )

As for drinking 'builders' tea when it is cold? . . . erm, nope, sorry, it would be consigned to the sink and fresh made.

fishplate42

Reaction score
...either plain or flavoured with Peach being my favourite.
(although when compared to a Mint Julep it is definitely second best )

As for drinking 'builders' tea when it is cold? . . . erm, nope, sorry, it would be consigned to the sink and fresh made.

That did make me chuckle. Mint Julip... I dunno I was talking about tea here not some namby-pamby flavoured water (no offence, as I am sure it is lovely). Maybe I am just a bit strange but I have discovered, I quite like cold 'builder's' tea :(

Ralph.

sam vimes

Reaction score
That did make me chuckle. Mint Julip... I dunno I was talking about tea here not some namby-pamby flavoured water (no offence, as I am sure it is lovely).

I certainly thought along these line until I tried it. It's more like really strong tea with just a hint of the extra flavour. It's damned refreshing when properly chilled.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
"Thermos flasks had not been invented when I was a boy and the favourite drink for farm workers, in the field, was bottles of cold tea, without milk or sugar."
Once a Man – Twice a Boy: Memories of a Bedfordshire Farmer - Claude Banks - Google Books

This was once very common amongst rural workers, as tea had become a cheap drink affordable by all, and many farmers had become complete abstainers from alcohol (under the influence of Methodism) and stopped providing beer in part-payment of wages.

fishplate42

Reaction score
What a fussy lot you all are! :eek:mg:

At least it looks like we will not be stealing each other's preferred beverages. :D

Ralph.

sagalout

Reaction score
It is all very simple, make up a few litres of gin and tonic, put the ice in the thermos flask. On the bank, beach, etc pour the pre mixed G&T into a glass and add ice from the thermos.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
In Richard Shelton's "The Longshoreman" he writes of steam-engine drivers taking ready-to-drink tea to work in pop bottles, and how he came to like cold tea as a result, so there's a pretty solid precedent -if you get the taste for it.
I'll stick to water, or G&T if not driving home, thanks.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It is all very simple, make up a few litres of gin and tonic, put the ice in the thermos flask. On the bank, beach, etc pour the pre mixed G&T into a glass and add ice from the thermos.

Now we're talking! This is more my cup of tea.

I did pick up a taste for iced coffee when on holiday in Kefalonia many moons ago, very refreshing on a hot summer day, made a couple since.:(

mikench

Reaction score
Funnily enough I like peach tea and a Long island iced tea. I much prefer coffee to tea and I always drink it black! It is also good for you!

slaphead

Reaction score
Give me a Greek Frappe, over any kind of tea, and I'm happy on a hot day.

flightliner

Reaction score
Builders tea--- uh!!! I.ve been associated with the building trade most of my adult working life , as a young man I did lots of maintenance work in some of the biggest steelworks in Sheffield , much of it on the actual furnace platforms where it was standard practice for the furnaceman to leave their billycans atop the actual furnace (dehydration and all that) where it simmered all day with the "lad" giving them all a constant top up.
We did the same as a quick tipple was needed in the high temperatures. The cans were never cleaned as the guys all said it ruined the brew.
Ever since those days I've preferred my tea thick, stewed, black n sweet. Builders tea--- it's for pussies ! :D