Regent's canal tips & tricks

tomino2112

Reaction score
I always complain that there is no river or canal around my area only commercials and I just realized Regent's canal is quite short commute from my work!

I bought recently nice spinning travel rod and would love to go and give it a try. Any tips & tricks? Mainly:

* Do I need to get a license/ticket? I saw something online about "canal" license but not sure
* I would love to fish for some bigger perch using lures but am nervous about hooking on to pike. Never caught one, not sure how would I do unhooking it. Any way to at least try and avoid them?
* What would be good approach for other species? bottom? float?
* Any areas of the canal I should avoid? I imagine in London there is all kinds of individuals going around.
* Since I will be going from work I will be bringing only minimal tacke: Rod, lures, net, disgorger, pliers, towel. Anything else you would recommend to bring?
* Any other tips?

Thank you in advance:)

stillwater blue

Reaction score
If your fishing big lures then a pair of side cutters is a must, don't forget an hooking mat.

Avoiding pike is impossible but small lures fished closed to the bottom is about the best way. Unhooking lure caught pike isn't too difficult as they're seldom deep hooked. I would suggest you go with an experienced angler to learn how to unhook pike but if not possible then watch youtube videos on the subject and when you actually unhook a pike be confident and don't rush.

tomino2112

Reaction score
If your fishing big lures then a pair of side cutters is a must, don't forget an hooking mat.

Avoiding pike is impossible but small lures fished closed to the bottom is about the best way. Unhooking lure caught pike isn't too difficult as they're seldom deep hooked. I would suggest you go with an experienced angler to learn how to unhook pike but if not possible then watch youtube videos on the subject and when you actually unhook a pike be confident and don't rush.

Do I really need to bother with unhooking mat? I mean I use it on commercials but I am careful enough with the fish I think I could do without ? Only reason why not to take it is because that would add huge chunk to whatever I drag with me. Unless I buy some new, rolling mat or whatever...

Unfortunately I cannot go with any experienced angler, believe it or not I personally do not know any angler, just online. I did watch loads of videos and know I can handle it, just the sudden "shock" might make me panic for a second - which could be that crucial second to loose a finger :D

silvers

Reaction score
the concern is for the fish welfare rather than your fingers!
despite their seemingly ferocious appearance, pike are actually pretty fragile.

The regent's towpath is full paved iirc ..... so no potential soft areas to lay a landing net down.

stillwater blue

Reaction score
Do I really need to bother with unhooking mat? I mean I use it on commercials but I am careful enough with the fish I think I could do without ? Only reason why not to take it is because that would add huge chunk to whatever I drag with me. Unless I buy some new, rolling mat or whatever...

Unfortunately I cannot go with any experienced angler, believe it or not I personally do not know any angler, just online. I did watch loads of videos and know I can handle it, just the sudden "shock" might make me panic for a second - which could be that crucia

Weight up convence vs fish damage, it's a simple decision. Go buy a roll up mat and roll it around your landing net handle, it's no hassle to carry.

If you don't think you can unhook a pike safely then you honestly shouldn't be lure fishing.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Hi Tomas,

I have fished The Regent's and it is a good roving venue. Better in the early morning before the boats get going IMO.

Yes, you will need a Waterway Wanderers permit from the Canal and River Trust - See HERE, To fish the Regents. The permit is £20 per year and only £10 if you are a member of the Angling Trust. I joined the trust not only to get the discount but it also gives you personal liability insurance.

Fishing the Regent's is great fun but parts of it are full of snags. There are some reasonably sized fish in there but most of the time you will be catching small perch on soft plastic lures by jigging or dropshotting.

A small unhooking mat is essential. if you catch anything of any size, there are very few soft places to unhook it.

travlin_light.jpg

I go by train and carry all I need in a small bag, including a landing net. See HERE and HERE.

Ralph.

rich66

Reaction score
Regent's canal tips & tricks

Here's a quick link to unhooking pike.
YouTube

I'm usually on my own and the only pike angler I know is suffering from dementia so I've had to teach myself. I always use barbless or crushed barb single hooks makes unhooking so much easier and quicker.
As for mats I just have a roll up one around my landing net

tomino2112

Reaction score
If you don't think you can unhook a pike safely then you honestly shouldn't be lure fishing.

Great advice, and then people wonder why more/young people not fishing...

As I said before, I am fairly confident that I can unhook it, just nervous about my first experience..

--

I will look for some rolling unhooking mat, any suggestions are welcomed

theartist

Reaction score
Hi Tomas,

I have fished The Regent's and it is a good roving venue. Better in the early morning before the boats get going IMO.

Yes, you will need a Waterway Wanderers permit from the Canal and River Trust - See HERE, To fish the Regents. The permit is £20 per year and only £10 if you are a member of the Angling Trust. I joined the trust not only to get the discount but it also gives you personal liability insurance.

Fishing the Regent's is great fun but parts of it are full of snags. There are some reasonably sized fish in there but most of the time you will be catching small perch on soft plastic lures by jigging or dropshotting.

A small unhooking mat is essential. if you catch anything of any size, there are very few soft places to unhook it.

travlin_light.jpg

I go by train and carry all I need in a small bag, including a landing net. See HERE and HERE.

Ralph.

I thought the pic in your avatar showed a guy with a baseball bat, I really need to go specsavers although that would come in handy fishing the Regents in the evening

rich66

Reaction score
I will look for some rolling unhooking mat, any suggestions are welcomed

Mines a dinsmore's job £9 of eBay I like it because it has a couple of hanging loops and I use a carabiner type clip on it so I can hang it from my bag etc

fishplate42

Reaction score
I thought the pic in your avatar showed a guy with a baseball bat, I really need to go specsavers although that would come in handy fishing the Regents in the evening

No, no, no. The baseball bat lives with the jack handle in the van - standard issue in SE London...

As far as fishing The Regent's is concerned it is a very different place now. Yes there are some parts where I would not fish alone at night, but most of the time it is fine as I take the missus with me and I don't argue with Sue - well, what I mean is I don't argue with Sue and win :eek:mg:

Ralph ;)

BTW I was joking about the baseball bat... The jack handle is good enough on its own.