Is it just me that feels ilke this?

fishplate42

Reaction score
dropshotting_regents_orange%2Btree.jpg

I write my blog as a diary so I can make a personal log about my fishing adventures. I try and write down anything that is relevant at the time. While I was checking out a post about an early morning visit to the Regent's Canal, I stumbled across these couple of sentences:

"The alarm went off at 05:30 Sunday morning. It is at these times when the thought of going fishing does not sound as appealing as it did the night before."

I am all right when I get there, it is just that initial act of getting going early in the morning, especially when it is still not fully light.

Does anyone else feel this way?

BTW, if you want to read the whole post about that visit to The Regent's, you will find it HERE.

Ralph.

mikench

Reaction score
I certainly do Ralph and it isn't only early morning starts that put me off! Wet and windy weather, a poor forecast alomost anything can make me doubt the sense in what I have planned! Usually though I am fine when I get there and often I am feeling good on the way there!:rolleyes:

jon atkinson

Reaction score
My early starts have been curtailed; the dogs assume that I'm getting up to take them for a walk & their excitement wakes the wife up :mad:. In the days when I was getting off handy, I don't recall often thinking "I'll just keep my head down for another 10 minutes". I still wake with excitement on a fishing day. I'm with Mikench on the weather factor though. I'm fishing with a mate on Sunday & the forecast ain't pretty :eek:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I hate the rigmarole of getting there, getting the kit to a particular spot, packing up and sorting out on my return. It's the main reason that I've pretty much stopped fishing nights and generally go fishing with one bag, landing net and a couple of rods. I still rather like a long bivvy session. The actual fishing is good fun, just the setting up and packing up that I can't be bothered with. I also tend to avoid day ticket venues. If I'm paying on the day, I feel obliged to stay fishing for as long as possible. I enjoy having the freedom to go for an hour or two, or pack up in short order if the fishing is poor or the conditions turn. Getting out of my pit, when I'm not working, isn't my strongest suit either.;):D:eek:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm the opposite. Pack the car the night before all barring bait and food for the day ahead. I'm like an excited kid when the alarm goes off, now I'm retired it's the only time I watch a sunrise :)
The first hour of fishing is magic which quite often tapers off at that point!

The bit I hate is packing up at the end of the day and unloading when I get home normally knackered.

mikench

Reaction score
Gents recommend me a simple 3 or 4 m whip to have a dabble with. I would like elasticated!:)

bracket

Reaction score
I was unloading my gear one dark, dank, wet and windy November morning, going to fish the Frome. I had parked in a layby that was not far from a level crossing and the traffic had backed up to me. This guy wound down his widow and said " You must be mad fishing in this weather". I replied " Perhaps, but I'll tell you this Pal, it beats the Sh*t out of working" I just love it rain or shine. Pete.

Philip

Reaction score
I like the idea of early starts but the reality of getting up is rather more difficult.

Its why I tend to focus more on fishing into dusk and darkness as there is no getting up involved.

swizzle

Reaction score
I go through stages where I find that I have very little enthusiasm to go out. I have had one recently. I haven't been out fishing for a few weeks now. Having just enrolled to go back to full time education today, realistically I won't have the time to go fishing until December what with working around attending college. I suspect that I'll regret not making the most of the extended fishing time throughout the summer months. I guess the only upside of that is come December, I'll be gagging to get on the bank again.

mikench

Reaction score
Wrong thread Mike?

What's your budget?

Sorry but the gents I was referring to were you and Ralph and you both use whips so whilst off topic , there is a link to the OP however tenuous. Budget £100!

I will put this in a new thread!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I gave up early morning fishing some years ago, to much bother, get up half knackered, rush to get there, rush to set up, get the ground bait in etc all so as not to miss that magic hour or two; fighting the clock and then before you know it the magic time has gone and as often as not no fish. Sometimes it works but alll that rushing about and effort when it can be for nothing, not these days, the fish have to oblige to my time table, not me theirs, I take a very relaxed and calm view to fishing these days, I catch or I don't, either way I have a chilled out day.

fishplate42

Reaction score
I gave up early morning fishing some years ago, to much bother, get up half knackered, rush to get there, rush to set up, get the ground bait in etc all so as not to miss that magic hour or two; fighting the clock and then before you know it the magic time has gone and as often as not no fish. Sometimes it works but alll that rushing about and effort when it can be for nothing, not these days, the fish have to oblige to my time table, not me theirs, I take a very relaxed and calm view to fishing these days, I catch or I don't, either way I have a chilled out day.

I like your system and if I was fishing 'free' water I would (and do) take the same approach, but most of my fishing is on commercials and it cost me £10 or £15 a day to fish I want to get my money's worth.

Ralph :rolleyes:

steve2

Reaction score
You are definitely not the only that feels that way I feel like that most times I go but once there it’s a different story. It’s the getting the car packed with all the gear I don’t really need that puts me of any thing but going lure fishing most days.
I have a match the first one I have fished in years coming up soon and the amount of tackle I am getting ready for a 5hour match and wont need is ridiculous. When it comes to loading the car on the day I can see myself saying I can’t be bothered with all this and go somewhere else.

fishplate42

Reaction score
You are definitely not the only that feels that way I feel like that most times I go but once there it’s a different story. It’s the getting the car packed with all the gear I don’t really need that puts me of any thing but going lure fishing most days.
I have a match the first one I have fished in years coming up soon and the amount of tackle I am getting ready for a 5hour match and wont need is ridiculous. When it comes to loading the car on the day I can see myself saying I can’t be bothered with all this and go somewhere else.

You have just hit on another one of my pet hates, Steve. I hate the setting up and worse the packing away when match fishing. I have done a little match fishing but I can honestly say I don't really enjoy it because of all the gear I feel I need and never use. I don't have that desire to win either, which sort of defeats the object. I much prefer sitting on the bank trying out new techniques, bait and tackle in my own time. I may have a van full of stuff with me but I tend to just use what takes my fancy on the day. The rest stays in the van.

Of course, this is only possible if I can park next to the swim! When I go river fishing I take only what I can carry easily and usually have much more fun...

Each to their own.

Ralph.

sheffields12

Reaction score
I'm terrible in the morning, takes me about 4 alarms to wake up.

So what usually happens is I set an alarm with all the right intentions to get up, have something to eat and get ready to head out.
But I'll usually think... I'll have another hour in bed. Then end up rushing, nipping to a shop on the way to grab a sandwich!

rayner

Reaction score
Gents recommend me a simple 3 or 4 m whip to have a dabble with. I would like elasticated!:)

Mike you know what I think of elastic in a whip :eek:

If you want a 4mtr (pole) soz whip then there's a 4mtr beast master for 40 quid ish.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Mike you know what I think of elastic in a whip :eek:

If you want a 4mtr (pole) soz whip then there's a 4mtr beast master for 40 quid ish.

The short Beastmaster is actually known as the Beastmaster Extreme. There's good reason for that, it's an absolute brute and meant for fishing just down the edge for the lumps that can inhabit the margins of so many modern commercials. It's very effective for that, but it's not much like any whip I've encountered, even an elasticated one. Think elasticated broom handle and you won't be far off the mark.

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
I am the same fishplate42 but for different reasons.
I have been a carer for my wife for nearly 4yrs now and for me to get fishing a lot of things have to fall into place at the same time.
I only fished 3 times last year but have been about 5 times this year.
I had the chance to go for the first time in 6 weeks on wednesday.
I set the alarm but i knew i probably would not go as i was knackered.
I turned the alarm off but had an extra hour in bed before getting the wife ready for my daughter who was taking her out for a few hours.
I should have gone really because it really cheers me up for a few days and it's the best therapy i know.:D

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I like your system and if I was fishing 'free' water I would (and do) take the same approach, but most of my fishing is on commercials and it cost me £10 or £15 a day to fish I want to get my money's worth.

Ralph :rolleyes:
This is true, when I used to fish commercials a lot with a bunch of friends we used to set off early to get maximum value but just to catch the early rise when it might happen or not; I dunno, over the years I just found it more a pain than a pleasure, I like my sleep, my breakfast and coffee and then a bit of relaxed fishing. But not saying anyone should not do it, there is something about early mornings and fishing and there are days when it can work well if you don't mind all the inconvenience.
I preferred the late afternoon evening shift especially after a stressful day at work, magic for unwinding. I used to go to a small river with a nice pub at the end of a beat, rove along, a nice sausage pie with trimmings and a pint in the pub, wander back, couple of chub, bobs your uncle.; beat all that manic early morning stuff-very chilled, if I was anymore laid back I would probably be dead..