Fourth hand broken rod.

steve2

Reaction score
So what, it was used to land a record carp it’s still just a bit of broken cane.
I see that the price also includes a cup of tea and a chat. A very expensive cup of tea.

bracket

Reaction score
Sam. Not really practical from my point of view. In the unlikely event that I would ever take up night fishing for carp I would obviously need a matched pair. You know, one for each side of my reclined "Carpers chair" so I could ZZZed away the 12 hours fishing whilst waiting for the electronic bite alarms to awake me, in the unlikely event of a take. So basically a non starter. I will keep the 6K wrapped around the big fat wad I have stuck in my back pocket. Pete.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'd have it given and put it on one of my walls. The history of the thing is undoubtedly rather interesting. However, I'd not buy it with real money, nor would I use it.

It will be interesting to see how much it does actually sell for, especially if the estimate is off the mark.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
So, if it was a bit of football memorabilia - an F.A. cup match ball, signed and certified, what would the price difference be over the identical ball straight from the factory/retailer? I'd venture that it would be a tad more than 200%, no?

A Mk IV copy built from scratch by a top maker would now be about 2 - 2.5k, so the mark-up associated with its history is quite modest - and there was only one Walker, only one Bishop, and only one Yates, whereas there's an F.A. cup (or whatever they call it nowadays) every year.

BARGAIN!

Afterthought - AND you can still fish with it - kicking a signed ball might damage the ink.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd rather pay 315 notes for a 13ft Daiwa Tournament RS :).

Philip

Reaction score
If someone buys it my question is what would you actually do with such a rod ?

Do you hang it up as a sort of talking piece in the living room ?

Or do you try and restore it back to its former glory and then go fishing with it ?

Or do you wrap it in cotton wool stick it in a safe and then try and sell it for double in a few years time hoping the angling memorabila market has gone even more nuts than it already has ?

Or maybe you could buy it and then "upgrade" it...you know, stick on some abbreviated duplon handles, a gunsmoke stainless reel seat, 50mm butt ring and give it a name like "The Carp Caner" :D

trotter2

Reaction score
I could buy some nice kit with 6 grand choice is yours?
Wall hanger or something usefull.:eek:

sam vimes

Reaction score
So, if it was a bit of football memorabilia - an F.A. cup match ball, signed and certified, what would the price difference be over the identical ball straight from the factory/retailer? I'd venture that it would be a tad more than 200%, no?

Quite probably, but I'd not buy something like that either. I can appreciate why someone might want to own a signed FA Cup match ball, or Chris Yates rod. I have no desire to stop them spending whatever they like on such things, but I wouldn't dream of joining them.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Re: Fourth hand broken rod.Championships

I agree - if you take collecting too seriously, you end up thinking of yourself as a curator, and the stuff you own ends up owning you. And once the responsibility has killed you, the collection gets auctioned and broken up anyway; unless you've carefully catalogued it all, all the context and historic significance is lost.

Which begs the question: where should special examples of angling memorabilia be curated, and by whom?

Our "National Representative Organisation" hasn't exactly distinguished itself in respect of caring for our sporting history, has it (i.e. losing the archived details of all the "All England" National Championships)?

mikench

Reaction score
Not for me at any price! I have a 50 year old cane rod which Craggy ( a chum at the time) whipped Chappy(another chum) across the backside with and broke one section. It is in its original bag and is free to whoever gives me a nice cup of coffee whilst trotting on a river! I will produce a sworn declaration to this effect to add to its provenance if required!:rolleyes:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Those prices no sweat for me now, Bought this off a bloke in a market last week for £100 pound, Zimbabwe 100,000 dollar note-what a mug, no flies on me Squire. Once I get it exchanged I will put a bid in.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Now where are my 5,000,000 Turkish lira notes!:rolleyes:
Actually Mike there is a trillion dollar Zimbabwe note, they sell for about £40 on eBay, what doesn't end up on eBay, people will sell their old socks on there it seems to me.
I bought that note for 50p, apparently a bloke came in the shop who had been working in Zimbabwe with a carrier bag full of them and wanted £80 for the lot and the shop bloke knocked him down to £25 and was selling them for 50p each, I reckon he will make a tidy profit eventually, must have been about 500 notes, that's £250, good luck to him..

Sorry off subject but a bit of life's rich tapestry now and then....

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
This rod appears to be a bit like Triggers broom original apart from replaced eyes and a broken repaired top section. If we assume that the rod was 10ft to start there’s also a bit missing.
Don’t forget that on top of what ever is paid there is another 35% to add to the bill. So you could be looking at over £8000.
I will stick to my bits of carbon.

sam vimes

Reaction score
This rod appears to be a bit like Triggers broom original apart from replaced eyes and a broken repaired top section. If we assume that the rod was 10ft to start there’s also a bit missing.

Apparently, the repair to the tip section was refinishing and then refitting a new tip ring. The rod has reputedly lost 1-1.5" from the tip.

john step

Reaction score
Out of curiosity I clicked the link. Someone will buy it no doubt.
Luck its not on ebay as every time I click onto something like this that has been posted as a curiosity I get reminders from them "do you want another look?"

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Re: Fourth hand broken rod.Championships

I agree - if you take collecting too seriously, you end up thinking of yourself as a curator, and the stuff you own ends up owning you. And once the responsibility has killed you, the collection gets auctioned and broken up anyway; unless you've carefully catalogued it all, all the context and historic significance is lost.

Which begs the question: where should special examples of angling memorabilia be curated, and by whom?

Our "National Representative Organisation" hasn't exactly distinguished itself in respect of caring for our sporting history, has it (i.e. losing the archived details of all the "All England" National Championships)?

The local Hampshire Avon and Dorset Stour area has the expanding museum based at the Royalty Fishery at Christchurch. Very much a labour of love for Tony Timms and others and increasingly a growing point of interest for visitors.

Having recently inherited a mass of fishing items from my late uncle, some of which go back almost 70 years, I will be donating some salmon fishing related items to the museum. My uncles will be laughing their heads off at the thought their exploits being preserved in a museum but better that than those items decaying in my loft or shed.

All power to those who search, collate and record such things.

Ron_Mick1965.jpg

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
steve2;1434 Don’t forget that on top of what ever is paid there is another 35% to add to the bill. So you could be looking at over £8000. I will stick to my bits of carbon.[/QUOTE said:
The buyers commission is 15%+vat in this sale not 35%?

If it fetches £6000 the final bill will be 6000x15%=900+vat@20%=180 the vat is only charged on the commission.

Final price £7080...