A whip

mikench

Reaction score
Can anyone ( Fishplate42 and S63) recommend an inexpensive elasticated whip? I reckon it would be great for some LRF in tricky spots where I need to go light!

Top price £100 and 5m max!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There are a couple of Daiwa Harrier system whips currently on EBay, I have one, a fabulous whip, light and strong.

One is 6m the other 7m, both can be used at just 3m (the telescopic section) but you will appreciate having the option to fish up to 7m at some stage.

Such is their popularity they'll be plenty of interest but you should secure one well within your budget.

mikench

Reaction score
I will have a look! Cheers ! I assume they all concertina together into one light tube of about 3 to 4' in length. Is it elasticated and is this necessary?

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yep, all sections fit into the largest tube which is a metre long. Any whip can be elasticted, a 6 or 7 elastic being the norm. On the big pit I fish for Rudd, I only use the flick tip, open water with no snags, I've landed a 4lb carp and have been broken up just once so far. It's imperative to use a lightish hook length to prevent the whip from getting snapped if you do hook a bigger fish, just point the whip at the fish and let the length go ping!

I use an elasticated whip when fishing my local weir pool where there's a chance of hooking chub, hadn't happened yet!

Not sure about LRF but I'm sure Neil could advise you on that activity. Either way, you'll not regret having a whip in your arsenal.

PS the two whips on Ebay don't appear to be elasticated at present, buy both and have instant options!

Last edited:

fishplate42

Reaction score
Morning Mike, John's advice is sound and if you want the named and recognised quality gear then do look for the Daiwa Harrier system whips like the ones on offer currently on eBay.

My approach has been slightly different. When I first took up fishing, I bought a cheap starter set from Argos. As well as all the usual stuff you would expect it included a, and I quote, "5m pole" Even as a novice, I thought that a 'pole' that came in a starter kit was not going to be of any use and put it to one side.

I will not reopen the debate about what is a pole and what is a whip as there is a point where they can be very similar.

For me, a whip is a light pole that has a flick tip. Some whips have optional top sections that are elasticated but that is where the definition gets a bit blurred. It is more about how it is rigged and how it is used that defines the difference for me.

Okay, now we have got that sorted, I use both types. My small 5m Tele-poles (one of which is the one that came with my starter kit I had dismissed as rubbish!) are now rigged with elastic and are used like small poles. That is they have short rigs and are clasped at the 2m (approximately) point to ship them in. I use different elastic in each pole. These are the cheap, under a tenner, poles/whips you can buy, brand new, anywhere. Some have rings set into the top section for tying the rig to. Others have a very crude elasticated top section. either way, all mine have had the top two sections elasticated. See HERE.

A true whip is fished without collapsing it or taking it apart to ship, mostly. The idea is the rig is tied to match the length to be fished (in my case about 600mm (2ft) shorter than the pole) and fish are swung to hand. The flexibility in the solid tip used to control the hooked fish. On some whips like, Johns Diawa, the solid tip can be replaced with an elasticated tip that gives a bit more flexibility and control, and by changing the elastic you can, adjust, the strength depending on the species and size of fish you are targeting.

My true whips have been bought second hand and are branded DAM and Super Whip(?). The smallest is 3m and is my favoured tool for fishing in my local river. I also have a 5m and a 6m. The 6m is a 'combo' meaning it has a telescopic top section and put-over extensions to build it up to 6m.

I really enjoy messing about with my cheap whips and mini-pole. I am not sure that I would spend any big money on a whip as I am only doing it for fun. I think I would be worried about breaking an expensive whip. The ones I have at the moment I am happy to repair/modify if they get damaged. With more experience, I may change my mind, but my entire collection of whips and mini-poles probably does not stand me in at more than £100.

As for LRF, I would not use a whip as it is completely the opposite 'feel' I am looking for. I use braid and fairly short. stiff and light rod and a reel loaded with braid for lure fishing.

All the above is what I have discovered over the past few years. It may not be how everybody sees it and I am sure others will give you lots of other information that hopefully, I will find useful too.

I hope my ramblings help.

Ralph.

wyncroft

Reaction score
Talking from experience I'd not elect to use elastic on a whip for LRF if there's a chance of wrasse.

Certainly for HRF if you're targeting wrasse the drag should be pretty much locked up tight and it's hit and good type fishing, give a wrasse a foot of line and they'll be in a rocky snag before you know it.

Admittedly is a little less critical for LRF given the typical target size of fish, but they'll still be in a snag before you know it and I'm guessing pulling for a break in an elasticated whip is going to be an interesting experience.

if you're targeting mid-water species then you should be fine, but if you're lure hits a rocky bottom and is twitched or just dead-sticked they be warned ;)

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Also from experience I can concur with the above post albeit in a different situation.When the Rudd aren't feeding I slide the float up the line and fish the deck anything between 15 and 20ft, normally finds me a few bream and roach, being a pit the deck is very rocky and I have on a few occasions got snagged and have needed to break the hook length, once again highlighting the importance of keeping the hook length light.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Also from experience I can concur with the above post albeit in a different situation.When the Rudd aren't feeding I slide the float up the line and fish the deck anything between 15 and 20ft, normally finds me a few bream and roach, being a pit the deck is very rocky and I have on a few occasions got snagged and have needed to break the hook length, once again highlighting the importance of keeping the hook length light.

With that sort of fishing, would a pole not be more suitable?

Ralph.

rayner

Reaction score
For years, can't remember when but I always considered that flick tips are for whip fishing and elastic for pole.
I enjoy whip fishing far more than using a pole, the only criteria's for a pole is if the fish are too big. An average of 8oz or if the bites are too slow.
Quick bites with small fish is essential for me when whip fishing.
Speed fishing is whip fishing.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
With that sort of fishing, would a pole not be more suitable?

Ralph.

No, not for me Ralph. I have a regular pole, a MAP TKS margin pole which I occasionally use for tench fishing on the estate, as light as it is, it is cumbersome in comparison to my whips. Other in terms of weight and diameter.

When I fish Stonar I can be fishing between 8 and 10 hours if everything is going to plan, my method is similar to the pellet waggler, i.e. Constant feeding and constant overhead casting, this is where a more expensive whip shows its class and value, at 200grams or less it's possible to do this for quite a few hours without fatigue.

In an instant I can change tactics and fish deep up to 18ft when using the whip, that's just not possible on a regular pole, not for me anyway.

A short anecdote from my last trip. Just before packing up, a fellow member popped by to introduce himself and see how I was doing. An elderly chap most probably in his 70s, It was clear to see from the start of our chat that George was a very accomplished angler with decades of experience, he wasn't posh but spoke elaquently and for many minutes thought I was fishing a regular pole. I then hooked a bream which decided to imitate a salmon leaping from the water twice almost soaking us both as it crashed back into the water, the fight was on and this was the conversation that ensued.

George.. Is that a whip?
Me......yes it is George
George.......not even elasticated?
Me........no George

The whip at this point was showing a full arc as the bream dived for the depths and I had to let the tip follow as much as I dare.

George still speaking awfully well.......f****k me, I've never seen anything like this in my entire life, it looks so much fun, can't wait to tell the lads down the pub!

As we all know Bream aren't known for their fighting qualities and it wasn't long until I was dragging what felt like a soggy sack to the net but George was left scratching his head and very amused.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
For years, can't remember when but I always considered that flick tips are for whip fishing and elastic for pole.
I enjoy whip fishing far more than using a pole, the only criteria's for a pole is if the fish are too big. An average of 8oz or if the bites are too slow.
Quick bites with small fish is essential for me when whip fishing.
Speed fishing is whip fishing.

I'm sure you're right and that's how most anglers perceive the idea, for me it's a combination of both, I think of it as "wholp" fishing. Unconventional maybe but fun all the same.:)

sagalout

Reaction score
I have a cheap (£3.25, the sticker is still on it) 3m Shakespeare telescopic whip that had a binkad tip. I cut the top section back and fitted a drennan bush, put a 20 solid elastic through the top two sections and fish it in the margins for lumps. It has ended up at about 2.4m and is great fun.

rubio

Reaction score
Lots of sea fishing done off the rocks around the med, and around the world, using quite basic telescopic whips. The cheapest tend to be a little heavy if you're used to high grade carbon, and rather floppy in action. The latter being ideally suited to cushioning the pull of the water as waves rise and fall. Fish of a pound or so can be swung to hand with these. Being so cheap it's not such a worry to up the line strength and hold hard to keep wild fish from diving for cover.
I've seen some high quality poles targetting the same type of fishing in tackle shops on the continent. Like here vastly more expensive than, for example, an extremely efficient sounding "yank and bank" for £3.25. I love whip fishing myself. Both types if that is relevant at all. I wouldn't choose to use my old favourite flick tip whip even for small sea fish. Banging around on rocks and jetties would be disrespectful and anyway it wouldn't have the lifting power. It works just fine sitting level with the water and drawing fish along the surface, with the back up of a landing net. Once above the water it becomes more of a deadlift. Intelligent others on here might be able to explain the mechanics better than I. Thick walls and the capacity to bend are a useful asset to store some energy before hauling out your capture. Even the strongest of elastics won't work anywhere near as good, and probably oblige you to carry an extra bit of kit in the form of a net. Best avoided if you're gonna wander and like as not clamber a little too.

mikench

Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen for your considered and appreciated comments. A whip I shall have just to add to my fishing skills( I use the word very loosely ). I will look for a flick tip in case I pay a visit to Yorkshire:) and see how I get on!

More anon!!:rolleyes:

rayner

Reaction score
I'm sure you're right and that's how most anglers perceive the idea, for me it's a combination of both, I think of it as "wholp" fishing. Unconventional maybe but fun all the same.:)

We all fish which ever way suits us best, being just a bloke who fishes I can't see how any way can be wrong.
What ever gets us on the bank is fine by me.

mikench

Reaction score
Just out of interest I made a bid on evilbay for à Diawa Harrier 6m whip which went for £86 plus postage !:confused:

I wouldn't pay that for an old whip sight unseen under any circumstances! Way over its value in my opinion. If I buy one I will buy new!!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
I'd happily pay £100 for a 2nd hand original Daiwa Harrier 6m whip if I didn't already own one. The spliced flick tip alone is probably worth half that....

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I now realise how lucky I've been picking up a Harrier in mint condition for £60.

The chap advertising one on the bay at the moment claiming it's never been used must be rubbing his hands in anticipation!

Funny how the values ebb and flow.