Nice Surprise But.

thecrow

Reaction score
My family have purchased this for me as a late birthday present, I had mentioned the good reviews I had seen about them but I was surprised when I got it. I have one problem with it though I am unable to separate the spool and the backplate to oil the bearings, I have removed the screw in the middle of the backplate but it just wont come apart and I don't want to force it.

I have looked on line but can find nothing so if anyone has any ideas on how this Madfish Wild River Centrepin comes apart I would be very grateful if they would share them please.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
On the spokes there's one with a spring and screw. On one side is a drag screw and on the other is a little piece of metal, pull the metal lip outwards keeping it pulled back as you draw the spool off the spindle.
In the picture it looks as though the screw is screwed right up!.... back it right off so there's no drag whatsoever and keep it like that as you'll never use it.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
Looks a beautiful reel. As tig says there is a spring loaded slide thing opposite the tension side. That releases the spool. Quite common on these types of reel.
Again what a lovely looking reel. Enjoy.:)

thecrow

Reaction score
Thanks Ian i feel like a right numpty, just goes to show that even after 60 years of fishing there is always something new to learn. I was on the point of taking it back to the tackle shop which would have meant going near Villa park on match day :eek:

Looks as though my signature fits me to a tee :)

If you need a Fireblade engine stripping and rebuilding in the future let me know i am ok with them :D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks Ian i feel like a right numpty, just goes to show that even after 60 years of fishing there is always something new to learn. I was on the point of taking it back to the tackle shop which would have meant going near Villa park on match day :eek:

Looks as though my signature fits me to a tee :)

If you need a Fireblade engine stripping and rebuilding in the future let me know i am ok with them :D

LOL Graham, if you've never had one before then unless someone shows you it can be awkward. Pretty much all the aerial type reels have that syle of spool release, although my Paul Witcher had the release pull/push on the inner spokes.
Your just gonn'a have to get out with it now and catch some fish :D. Oh, make sure you back that little drag screw right off otherwise your reel won't be as free running as it should be ;).

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Wound it right back as you suggested, it will stay like that until I find out if I need to use it but cant see that happening though.

It's only really meant for very fine adjustments to save you using your thumb when trotting through a swim. I never use it but there's nothing stopping you giving it a go. Actually it probably makes for a smoother trott through than using your thumb if your trying to keep a constant pace with no jerking.

thecrow

Reaction score
It's only really meant for very fine adjustments to save you using your thumb when trotting through a swim. I never use it but there's nothing stopping you giving it a go. Actually it probably makes for a smoother trott through than using your thumb if your trying to keep a constant pace with no jerking.

I shall probably be using it for laying on until my shaky right hand is sorted out, got an appointment for the 25th when hopefully I will be getting my Botox injections which should help with it.

john step

Reaction score
I shall probably be using it for laying on

I like the option of tightening the resistance down when using it like that or in fact for still water fishing. Stops the little devils revolving when you are not looking and getting coils of loose line.
Not necessary to use these reels still water wise I know but just so enjoyable when a lump is hooked.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I don't often use micro-drag on a centrepin, but I did yesterday. It was absolutely spot on for giving me a consistent trot just a tad slower than the pace of the river (which was very pacy due to the extra water). Made all the difference to the presentation and therefore my catch rate.

thecrow

Reaction score
I don't often use micro-drag on a centrepin, but I did yesterday. It was absolutely spot on for giving me a consistent trot just a tad slower than the pace of the river (which was very pacy due to the extra water). Made all the difference to the presentation and therefore my catch rate.

Thanks for that Chris as you know I haven't done a lot of that sort of fishing my angling revolving more around leads/feeders on both still and running water, when I get this shake sorted I am looking forward to learning something new and I guess the micro drag is part of that "on the day" learning.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

Let me guess which reel you used then.....Fox Bob James ;) :w.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Best you guess again.;):D

LOL, i'm sat here rackin' me brains as I can't think of any others you have with micro drag :confused:.

Only one you have that I can think of with a form of drag is the trent.

Have you been sneaky :D.

ken more

Reaction score
Crow, did you get what you were looking for? I love the look of the reel (the Blue ring really sets it off in my opinion) but, like you, i am more a feeder/lead and a small bit of Float type, but i am seriously thinking of buying one. Have never used one before and did buy a Pin before and then sold it as i was a bit worried about making a fool of myself, something i find easier as i get older for some reason:) Possibly all the wrong reasons, but we only live once unfortuately:D

thecrow

Reaction score
Crow, did you get what you were looking for? I love the look of the reel (the Blue ring really sets it off in my opinion) but, like you, i am more a feeder/lead and a small bit of Float type, but i am seriously thinking of buying one. Have never used one before and did buy a Pin before and then sold it as i was a bit worried about making a fool of myself, something i find easier as i get older for some reason:) Possibly all the wrong reasons, but we only live once unfortuately:D

I had been thinking about it for a while after watching Steve (binka) a few times and although I have trotted before (pre the shakes :D ) it has always been with a fixed spool and I just fancied a change so.

The first one I got was a TFG classic I also got the line guard as I didn't fancy the line flapping about while retrieving, I have used it exclusively since I got it getting more used to it things such as where the ratchet button is that sort of thing, all the use has been on still water but it has performed faultlessly for me with none of the gremlins I was warned about regarding tolerances and stuff like that.

It was because I wanted one for laying on in a river being able to just ease the float down the swim slowly as well the ratchet on the TFG wasn't imo strong enough to counteract the flow of a river and although I could have got away with using a laggy band round the rod to tuck the line in I just didn't fancy it and decided to drop more than a few hints about another pin resulting in the one I posted about in this thread, it has a strong ratchet that I need its british made and amazon are doing them for £69-95 instead of the rrp of £99-99, the shop It was purchased from matched that price so that's where it came from (Fosters)

All I can say is if you fancy one get one, which one is imo all down to personal preference and bank account but I haven't read anything bad about the one I have but no doubt you can get some very good advice about pins on here what you wont get very often is agreement about them :D its all very personal.

I got a few strange looks on some waters when I was casting by pulling line from the rings but I don't mind that in fact my favourite saying comes to mind f*** um :eek: I reckon you will enjoy one Ken do it mate you wont regret it.