Back on the bank

Another Dave

Reaction score
Hadn't fished for over 20 years then a couple of years ago i found some discarded tackle when out over the park with youngest daughter (3 at the time). Using a stick for a pole and some discarded bread we caught a dace straight away.

This summer i took the eldest daughter (8) to the same place and using a dirt cheap spinning rod kit we caught a chub and a few perch. And a trout. I used to fish this same river for years and never heard so much as a rumour about trout. Beautiful fish.

I got myself a nice ABU Garcia 5'6" rod for under £20 and a garish looking reel from the Far East for a tenner that i have to say has been a dream. i don't get out to fish much, despite the river being literally a 5 minute walk from my front door but i have to say it has been amazing. Me and the girls have had more trout, the best was 18" and i've caught it twice from the same hole, and the youngest kid reeled in a chub bigger than anything i ever caught in my previous incarnation.

Also massively enjoying the fact that the river has lots more perch now, best so far is 9".

Most of this was using worms but i also had some chub on plugs, i did try to post in the thread a few days ago but nothing happened.

Am now getting into the soft lures, although i do have an aversion to dropshotting because it doesn't sit right with me having the hook up the line, personal thing. Those jighead hooks are good though, i really like those.

My local river is pretty tiny most of the year, you can see the bottom pretty much everywhere but there are 2 or 3 places where it gets waist deep.

Anyway, i like this forum so hi.

Last edited:

john step

Reaction score
So nice to see anglers returning to the fold. Essex trout! Are they browns or rainbow escapees do you think?
Don't give the location on here though.

steve2

Reaction score
Good to see another Essex boy on here. I know of 3 rivers that have a small head of trout in them. Only one as browns and you can step over that one in places.

Another Dave

Reaction score
So nice to see anglers returning to the fold. Essex trout! Are they browns or rainbow escapees do you think?
Don't give the location on here though.

They're browns alright.

And don't worry, i'm aware how fragile it all is.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Welcome to FM Dave, enjoy your time here and your newly found fishing bug.

Thanks crow, i like the general attitude here and the fact there's round about the right level of activity for me to stay on top of things.

Another Dave

Reaction score
Good to see another Essex boy on here. I know of 3 rivers that have a small head of trout in them. Only one as browns and you can step over that one in places.

decades ago i saw a tiny brownie in a very small bit of river, not too many miles away but that was out in the sticks.

i've had weeks for this to settle in and i'm still astonished.