Rain,rain, rain.....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The rivers are up and running and the BBC forecast for the next 10 days is more of the same here in the Northwest!
I wouldn't say this is going to be a good year for fry recruitment.

ian g

Reaction score
Funny really as the Severn hasn't really been near flooding all summer. In fact it's been low most of the summer with plenty weed and fry showing in the margins.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Still very clear here with only a touch of colour after being gin clear all year and virtually no flow (except a couple of the backwaters). Still, I've got used to watching the fish take the bait......................

greenie62

Reaction score
Still very clear here with only a touch of colour after being gin clear all year and virtually no flow.......

Bit different up here!

greenie62-albums-fishpix-picture4798t-img-1372ro.jpg

Normally - the bottom of the banking has a 10ft gravel bank - now under 2ft of fast-flowing muddy water! Ironically was to be the scene of a Kick-Sampling exercise on Saturday morning - more suited to fishing!:rolleyes:

This last few days on the river have seen the levels go up & down - a bit!

greenie62-albums-fishpix-picture4797-pastweek.png

Wish there was some way of being able to send this down South! :D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Down here the Hampshire Avon locally is running low and quite clear still.

We have not had any significant rain for a couple of weeks . . . . last night there was a sprinkling of rain but hardly enough to wet the pavement under the roadside trees.

Right now it is clear and quite sunny . . . .

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As I post this we have strong gusts of wind driving the rain against the windows. It seems to be quite long heavy showers with gaps in the action as the clear skies come and go.
I've just looked on river check and it appears the northwest has a number of orange warnings on the rivers!

greenie62

Reaction score
Spot-on Tigger,
The Ribble is currently showing as 7ft up on normal at Samlesbury, whilst the Irwell is showing as being 5ft up & falling at Manchester Racecourse whilst 1 mile downstream from there it's still rising!
Spate rivers! :eek:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Spot-on Tigger,
The Ribble is currently showing as 7ft up on normal at Samlesbury, whilst the Irwell is showing as being 5ft up & falling at Manchester Racecourse whilst 1 mile downstream from there it's still rising!
Spate rivers! :eek:

Yeaph, that's what northerners have to put up with, those Southern softies don't know the half of it ;) :D.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me that in this relatively tiny country that we can experience such varied weather conditions at the same time.

Reading of gale force ids and rain "opp norfff" compared to
the bright sunshine here in southern Wiltshire is strange and let's face it, the two location are only a few hours apart in the car . . .

jasonbean1

Reaction score
well where I fish locally on the Cherwell we have things the other way round low flows and little rain means heavily coloured from turbidity and we have to wait for the rain to clear it

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It never ceases to amaze me that in this relatively tiny country that we can experience such varied weather conditions at the same time.

the bright sunshine here in southern Wiltshire is strange and let's face it, the two location are only a few hours apart in the car . . .

Weird isn't it Peter, some places even have their own little weather systems, Anglesey for example, it's nearly always got different weather conditions than the rest of the uk and it's not far from me as the crow flies....not Graham crow, but the again it cold be Graham if he had a microlite or a helicopter :eek:mg:.

mikench

Reaction score
It has never ceased to amaze me too! How you can have such contrasting weather patterns over such a small area defies belief! There can be such contrasts within 50 miles but the UK is exceptional. I think I will stay here!:rolleyes:

sam vimes

Reaction score
The Pennines and Lake District tend to shield my neck of the woods from the worst excesses in rainfall from the west. To the east, the North Yorks Moors do similar. However, if the Pennines take the rainfall hit, my local river shows the effects. Clicky.

Whilst it's dry, bright, but rather windy here, I doubt I'll be out on the river for a day or two. A foot or so over NSL can be quite helpful. Much more and it's a far more tricky proposition. Add the wind, which is in a rather unhelpful direction, and I'm better off having a day off.

B

binka

Fair amounts of rain here too, the Trent is showing a steady and welcome rise but certainly nothing out of sorts.

As welcome as a drop or two extra in the river is I can't say I was overly impressed with it lashing in my face as I drove up a fairway in the darkness at just gone six this morning, the mornings in particular seem to have got dark really suddenly.

Nottinghamshire is also on a weather alert for winds up to 75mph from late tomorrow night through to mid-morning on Wednesday.

I think autumn has arrived :(

maurice walsh

Reaction score

if that amazes you , try living here!!! yesterday saw a temp high of 18 , a low of 9, bright sunshine, late dusk light levels , sideways torrential rain (to a mean 1in), dead calm and a recorded 67mph wind and ALL this in a 2hr window between 3pm and 5pm , FFS:eek:mg::D, the rest of the day and night was much the same but was at longer intervals between change, all we needed was snow to have had it all:D small rivers are up n coloured as are the smaller lakes, the shannon has a tinge of colour but it was dropping out quickly when i looked about 6pm

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been slaving away on my lap top all morning and only just now stopped to make a sandwich and a pot of tea

I was a little surprise to realise it was so dark and that finally it has started to rain here . . .

thecrow

Reaction score
Nothing in this bit yet but I am sure we will be getting rain and very strong winds later, might wait to see what the weather is doing in the morning before getting out fishing.

mikench

Reaction score
Weird isn't it Peter, some places even have their own little weather systems, Anglesey for example, it's nearly always got different weather conditions than the rest of the uk and it's not far from me as the crow flies....not Graham crow, but the again it cold be Graham if he had a microlite or a helicopter :eek:mg:.

The reason for that Ian is that Anglesey , Lytham, and Ullapool in Scotland are in the path of the Gulf Stream which tends to bring warm air and milder conditions generally. They even have palm trees in Ullapool!

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The reason for that Ian is that Anglesey , Lytham, and Ullapool in Scotland are in the path of the Gulf Stream which tends to bring warm air and milder conditions generally. They even have palm trees in Ullapool!

Yeaph, your right Mike. It didn't feel any warmer on Anglesey to me though...Gulf stream or not :(. We often had hard frosts during the winter and a few thick 'ish samples of snow on occasion. When it was freezing and we had the high winds it was really cold and you had to either keep your hands in your pockets or wear some decent gloves. The wind chills where nasty!
I did swim in the sea in summer but in winter the water was seriously cold, I know because I fell in off some rocks!
The winds often went over a hundred miles per hour and the Islanders never even batted an eyelid as those high winds where so frequent. You only need to look at the trees and hedgerows to see how windy the place is, they're all sort of petrified into a shape from the prevailing Westerly's.
When it was bad weather , it was bad, and that was pretty much all winter into April, but when it was good weather, it was glorious :cool:. Anglesey is sort of a jekyll and Hyde type of place when it comes to it's weather patterns.
I forgot to mention the fogs that would roll in off the sea :eek: you could watch them rolling in and they where so thick you could only see a few yards in front of you. Sometimes it was an eery feeling when the fog came it and you could hear the boats fog horns sounding off and see flashes from the lighthouses.