My 13 year old son MatthewTheCarper

MatthewTheCarper

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My name is David and although I'm not an angler myself, my 13-year-old Matthew is obsessed, totally obsessed.

For the last couple of years Matthew has been struggling after being diagnosed with Asperger syndrome and ADHD.

Thankfully he has found solace, carp fishing. Like many things he does, he has immersed himself totally in the sport. He reads up on the subject, he watches endless videos of the latest techniques and equipment and bait etc. He is well known around the local fishing lakes and will often spend hours talking to the older fishermen, many who have commented that he really knows his stuff.
He is at his happiest fishing and its great as parents to see him happy and content and calm when he's sat around the lake.
He has spent nearly all of the 6 weeks holidays fishing and took part in all 6 of the NashTackle kids fishing courses that have been running over the summer and his current PB is a 15lb12oz common which he caught at Tylers Common Fishery, Brentwood.
He has also appeared in carp-talk magazine 4 times recently, which he was over the moon about.

Being a dad and not into fishing that much and since I seem to spend a lot of time on the bank with Matthew, I decided to build him his own website, to chart his fishing adventures:

https://matthewthecarper.com/
We've really enjoyed writing the blog posts over the last few months and hope that a few of you will enjoy it.

Recently he decided to enter the Angling Direct Junior 'King of The Catch' competition and like everything he is involved in he HAS to win.
So that's the real reason I'm here. I know I'm new to the forum and understand if this is just seen like someone chancing his luck but I am asking kindly if you could all vote for Matthew in his competition.

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/competitions/king-of-the-catch-2017/junior/matthew-cox

All you need to do is click the yellow VOTE box, add your email address and click 'Vote' and you will receive a confirmation email into your inbox. Simply verify your vote and that's it.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope a few of you can vote for him.

john step

Reaction score
Good luck to him. Ingrebourne River. Thats a blast from the past. Surprised there are fish in it now.