Predator friendly landing net?

fishplate42

Reaction score
I seem to have more landing nets than rods! Well, almost. I plan to try a spot of pike fishing over the coming months and have been reading up on it, as well as watching the odd video. One thing that is mentioned from time to time is to use a 'predator friendly net'.

I have looked around and any that claim to be for the purpose look much the same as any others that don't. As far as I can see, a 'predator net' is a sort of rubberised 'free-flow' net. Is that it or is there a difference I am missing?

Can anyone recommend a suitable net - I might already have one!

Ralph.

wardalan1987

Reaction score
I use the folding savage gear landing net in the large size and as far as landing nets go it's great. I use it for most fishing now as it's easy to transport and is exceptionally sturdy.

You couldn't go far wrong with it, I hear the BFT folding net is also good however much harder to get hold of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishplate42

Reaction score
savage gear make a predator net.. rubberised mesh.. in two sizes.. perfect

The Savage Gear net looks good, but I need a net-head as I need a 3m reach (straight down) to fish in the weir pool in Canterbury. I like the 'D' shaped nets as a spoon is not as easy to use in the shallow water when fishing from above.

Is my assumption correct that a so-called 'predator' net is just a rubberised net that has an open (free-flow) mesh?

Ralph.

wardalan1987

Reaction score
Yes that sounds like it will be to short then, the handle even on the tele handle version only extends to around 2m.

Essentially yes it's a wide rubberised mesh. Main purpose is to ensure trebles can be easily removed as on a standard net you can be left with no choice but to cut the hook or the net.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Savage Gear net looks good, but I need a net-head as I need a 3m reach (straight down) to fish in the weir pool in Canterbury.
Ralph.

The weir looked devoid of pike when I fished it yesterday, plenty all along the free stretch though Ralph. I'll have another look tomorrow as intend doing another chub session.

fishplate42

Reaction score
Yes that sounds like it will be to short then, the handle even on the tele handle version only extends to around 2m.

Essentially yes it's a wide rubberised mesh. Main purpose is to ensure trebles can be easily removed as on a standard net you can be left with no choice but to cut the hook or the net.

Thanks for clarifying that, I had assumed it was something to do with fish handling specific to predators. It is so easy to overcomplicate this fishing lark.

The weir looked devoid of pike when I fished it yesterday, plenty all along the free stretch though Ralph. I'll have another look tomorrow as intend doing another chub session.

I am trying to cover all bases - it would just be my luck that it would be full of them the day I arrived with a landing net that had a handle that was too short to reach them.

Ralph.

dave m

Reaction score
the korum 30" latex net is a cracker. 30" round[ish] pan net shape, rubberised open mesh and a solid frame and spreader block.

i use on for my barbel fishing and its great. the mesh is deep enough to rest double figure barbel :cool: so im sure it'd be adequate for the odd river croc or two.

john step

Reaction score
I have a large size Savage Gear D shape rubberised net for my piking.
I have had them over 20lb in it(boasting again).

The main advantage is that trebles get caught up far less in this net and if they do its an easier job of unravelling them.

If you use an ordinary net the trebles will get tangled. Even barbless ones. Not much fun having a loose treble tangled in the net and a second one still in a pike.
That can lead to the situation whereby you try to untangle the treble, the pike kicks and there you are- one hook in your pike the other in your finger-and the pike still thrashing. Jack pike are most prone to spinning around in the net.

Leads me to what I mentioned in another post. Get a pair of cutters.

steve2

Reaction score
I use Fox Predator round nets in 30"and 36" sizes, I have been accused by club bailiffs of using nets that are too small. I have had 26lb pike in the smaller one with out any problems. A 42” triangle net that they say I should be using is smaller than my 36” net.

terry m

Reaction score
the korum 30" latex net is a cracker. 30" round[ish] pan net shape, rubberised open mesh and a solid frame and spreader block.

i use on for my barbel fishing and its great. the mesh is deep enough to rest double figure barbel :cool: so im sure it'd be adequate for the odd river croc or two.

Yep, I use this too in 32". Excellent, had many to mid 20's in these nets.

And, not only do you avoid snagged trebles, but they dry a lot quicker than a normal mesh.

jimlad

Reaction score
I have a 36 inch fox predator spoon, rubber mesh, very deep, perfect really. I think they discontinued it last year unfortunately.