Hello

mojo61

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Returning to coarse fishing after forty plus years when I used to fish the River Roding in Essex for roach with my now long deceased Dad.
The river nowadays looks like a stream/ditch compared with the peaceful little river I remember as a lad.
Thought I would be able to just buy some tackle and pick up where I left off....errr no, epic fail, rods, floats, techniques, waaaay different from what I remember!
Have bought a Daiwa Ninja match 12' rod and 2508 reel, a few waggler floats, 3lb line and some 16 and 18 hooks to nylon etc. Will be fishing a local pond on licence up here in Yorkshire. Looking for peace and quiet and modest size roach/carp/perch. Going to try punched bread for a start as it's close to the bread flake out of the middle of a fresh baked white loaf I used to use.
First trip soon, just working up to it, been a long time, and a lot of memories coming back...
So seems like a friendly place here and thought it would be a great place to learn about what I don't know - which seems to be about everything!
Thanks for reading, good to be here

soft plastic

Reaction score
Why not still use bread flake? Was, is, and always will be a fantastic bait. Better chance of sorting out the specimen fish with a pinch of it on your hook rather than punched bread.

Sent from my E6633 using Tapatalk

fishplate42

Reaction score
Hello!

Welcome to Fishing Magic. I came to fishing late in life and have only been fishing for three years. When I started I did not even have any childhood memories to cash in on. Where I live in SE London, fishing was not a big thing for me and my mates as there were very few places to fish locally, and none of them on our doorstep. The old Surrey Canal was derelict and being filled in and the nearest park lake was miles away.

It was not until my brother moved to within walking distance of a public day ticket lake and a short drive from a commercial fishery that it occurred to us that fishing might be a way to get together for a few hours other than at family gatherings. As it has turned out it is me that has the enthusiasm and I feel like I am dragging him along when he does condescend to join me!

My first trip to a lake having never fished in my life before netted me four nice size common carp! Have expected to catch something the size of my little finger I was amazed and have not stopped since.

I made the decision to document my fishing journey as a blog. It is not just fishing reports, it is the whole thing from finding gear and venues to trying new things, repairing and making my own tackle and bait - the lot, warts and all.

I know nothing when I first started and now I have discovered that there is still a lot to learn even now. My first post is titled "What's a plummet?" as I really did not know. You can find my blog HERE, and if you click on the link above, you will be taken to that first post.

One of the best things I did was to join this forum. I have learnt a lot from here. The members are friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. There are other fishing forums out there but this is by far the best I have found.

All that said, I found the best way to learn is to get out there and fish. I love it, all of it!

Ralph.