Normark Rods

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
I mentioned on the "Rods Thread" that I've inherited my late uncle's fishing gear and that includes a number of Normark rods. I've never owned one in the past but sort of aware of their potential historic quality and desirability.

I'm still working my way through all the gear, which includes a lot from my other uncles, all now departed, as well as Mick's own gear, all going back to the 1950's.

I have already taken possession of 5 Normarks but there are perhaps at least 5 others still to examine and decide what to do with. Those others are in very well used condition and have probably sat in tubes for the last decade at least. Certainly perfectly capable of refurbishment by someone with the will to do so.

Mark Wintle has already hinted on the Rods thread that the brand range is pretty large. My question is how can I tell which is which?

The ones I already have, all in excellent condition, are:
  • Normark Microlite Match 13ft Model No: NMMT 1563
  • Normark Microlite Match 12ft Model No: RNMM 144
  • Team Normark Titan Match 13ft Model No: RNTM 1563
  • Team Normark 13ft Multi Tip Feeder (no model number)
  • Team Normark 11ft Multi Tip Feeder (no model number)

Any help with further identification will be gratefully received.

:)

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
As far as the match rods are concerned the 'original' range dates back about 30 years and do not have '2000', '3000', '1000' or 'II' appended to the name. Originally these would have had sliding reel fittings in aluminium though plenty of people had them converted. Generally the original match rods are worth about £70 to £100 depending on condition - not losing the final inch is important. It is the 2000 range that is most sought after. The 3000 models are very rare. I don't have catalogues old enough to have the original range.

The original Microlite was really a canal rod in the 12ft, a very light line - 1.5lb main line - 12oz bottoms - rod in the 13ft. The Titan is a very good light waggler rod - 2lb line, 3AAA tops - for roach and dace, not tippy enough to be a great stick float rod. The original Avenger was better for bigger (4-5AAA) wagglers at range (brilliant on the middle Thames) and very good with Topper floats yet quite forgiving. None of these rods are really chub stoppers though, that accolade belongs to the sublime Avenger 2000 (which in turn isn't as good as the Carbotec No. 2).

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Thanks Mark.

The Microlite Match 12ft and 13ft and Titan Match 13ft all have the sliding aluminium reel fittings and full cork handles. All three are in immaculate condition and potentially never been used.

The two Multi Tips have Fuji screw fittings and part cork part duplon(?) handles. Again both are in immaculate condition.

I'll have a closer look at the other Normarks which are very much used and I suspect are duplicates of the ones I've got. Those used ones are probably Mick's and the pristine ones probably Ron's.

Thanks again.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Terry Ball had the 13ft Multi-Tip. It was a bit of a beast and ideal for very long chucks on a big river like the middle Thames or Trent with up to 2oz feeders, not the sort of rod you'd want to use locally. The 11ft I know less about, I got the original No. 1/No.2 (the tips were interchangeable so you bought one and got the other spare tip) which was a very good bream rod of its era. I suspect the 11ft multi-tip is an updated version and probably a nice rod to use with 2-4lb line and feeders up to 1oz.