Can I use

Specihunter

Reaction score
A size 4000 for float fishing or is it too big?
I got a shakespeare mach 3 for £25 so I know I could use it for feeder fishing just wanted to know is it too big or does the size really matter.

Many thanks Speci

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
When you sat "float" fishing are you meaning trotting a float or just margin fishing using a float?

If used for trotting then my preference is either a 2500 size F/S reel or better still a centrepin reel.

A 4000 size reel will probably upset the balance of the rod remembering you will be holding it for most of the day, versus leaving it in rests when margin fishing.

The other reason being that, unless you have quite long fingers, then line control will be a bit of a problem with the larger size reel.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
You could use it but it's a bit on the big side, I think you know this, lol.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
You can use whatever sized reel you fancy. People often get hung up on reel sizes without acknowledging that there are 4000 sized reels out there that are lighter than other 2000 models. Some small reels are actually a longer reach to the spool than the larger reels in the same range. Some smaller reels are actually too light to balance a rod well. Everything depends on the rod and reel combination in question.

I sometimes use 4000 size reels for float fishing. However, I have to concede that they are pretty light, as far as 4000 size reels go, and that they are still a little too heavy on float rods shorter than 12'. Some of the smaller and lighter reels I own are actually too light, especially when fitted to longer rods.
When it comes to reel weight, I tend to prefer something between 10 and 12oz. A little lighter doesn't hurt on a shorter rod. A smidge heavier isn't the end of the world on a longer rod. The lightest reels I own (a fixed spool 2500 and a centrepin) are just over 8oz. They are actually too light for the bulk of my float rods of 13' or more.

Last edited:

thecrow

Reaction score
If its what you have got and you want to use it to float fish just use it, if you find you don't like float fishing with it at least you know and can change to something smaller at a later date, that Mach 3 was a bargain :)

Specihunter

Reaction score
It's for normal lake fishing, I'm looking at rivers next season. Might see if I can get a smaller reel anyway there was a 3000 version but I won't know if it's still there or not as the shop is closing down.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's for normal lake fishing, I'm looking at rivers next season. Might see if I can get a smaller reel anyway there was a 3000 version but I won't know if it's still there or not as the shop is closing down.

Often the 3000 and 4000 reels are exactly the same size but the 4000 has a deeper spool enabling you to load more line.

puffer_

Reaction score
You can use whatever you have!

I'm sure most of us grew up using all manner of odds n sods to get us by.

It might not be the best option, but it'll work ;)

Reaction score
Different manufacturers 4000 size reels vary enormously,in 3000 reels often the diameter of the spool is too small imo,making coiling more likely,especially with breaking strains over 4-5lbs.

steve2

Reaction score
How times change I use to use a Mitchell CAP and 300 for all types of fishing even light sea fishing. Never thought about can I use it was all I had so I used it.
Use the reel I don't know what size a 4000 is but it will work. Fishing these days is bogged down in use this use that, can't use this can't use that. All we are trying to do is catch a few fish.

Reaction score
All I know is Mitchell match reels were workhorses for many,many years,the spool diameter was around the same as 4000's today,casting and line lay was brilliant,as good as any today,in fact I would go as far as to say that if modern materials produced a reel in the 300/match size it would sell,I know the bail was an issue,but a modern bail,with the shallow spools of a mitchell are a winning formula in my book...